RockShox Judy XC 2004 Front Shocks

RockShox Judy forksRedesigned for 2004, Judy forks provide solid, all-around performance for riders just starting to hit the singletrack, or recreational riders looking to take the edge off paths and trails or pathways.

Clean sheet design developed to meet the evolving needs of the emerging All-Mountain category.
FEA designed casting and crown mated to 28mm chromed upper tubes provide a stiff and rigid chassis.
HydraCoil damping ensures quality suspension performance.
Performance features enable this fork to be used on Hardtail and Full-suspension bikes.

Travel: 80mm
Weight: 3.96 lb. (1.80 kg)
Spring: Dual Stage coil/elastomer spring
Steerer Tube: Steel
Upper Tubes: Chromed steel 28mm
Colors: Silver
Upgrade: Over TT: HydraCoil damping, Lighter Magnesium Casting
(Disclaimer: Weights are based on 160mm steerer tube pre-production models and may vary. Actual fork travel may vary +/- 3 mm. Specifications and call-outs are preliminary and are subject to change.)

mibyke   Racer [Jun 30, 2011]
Strength:

strong, ok amount of travel, and looks good

not all that plush

good fork for xc and all mountain riding but not downhill

Similar Products Used: none
Adam   Weekend Warrior [Jun 21, 2006]
Strength:

Rock Shox Name, Air preload adjustment

VERY SOFT, slow rebound, air adjustment never seemed to work

I'll not buy another air preload fork again. I'll probably not buy another XC model again. I just bought a Judy TT, and depsite its bad reviews, its a ton better.

Sean   [Jul 04, 2005]
Strength:

works really sweety for such a cheap fork.its really smooth and doesn't bottom out that easily.The preload actually works(i put it to its sofest because i am 125lbs.)Really great fork overall!

sad thing is i cracked the damn fork(it has two cracks on the crown),but thats my fault cause i abused the fork.I did 8-9 feet drops to flat(now thats bad!)even did some dirt jumping,but all of that has come to an end,so i'm buying this year's Z1 freeride 1.

only buy this fork if you do cross country,so you dont end up like me.lol

Its a great fork,for the amount of money u pay.

Similar Products Used: 2003 marzocchi dirtjumper 1,2,3
2002 marzocchi wedge
2001 marzocch juniour t pro
Joshua Aragon   Cross Country Rider [Apr 17, 2005]
Strength:

Cheap. The compression and rebound is at a good setting, since you can't do anything to those settings. A good upgrade for an inexpensive hardtail.

No rebound setting. I am not sure if the preload really works.

A good fork for an inexpensive bike. It does the job over the less agressive trails here in AZ and I do take my hardtail on some of the tougher trails once in awhile and it still does the job. For its intended use which is non-competitive cross country riding, it does well. Of course it could be better, but then it would not be $99.00

Similar Products Used: RST, Marzocchi EXR Pro, Manitou Axel
Patrick   Cross Country Rider [May 24, 2004]
Strength:

Lightweight, looks good

Weak rebound damping

Good product for road riding or trails with minor bumps. Will not handle huge bumps well, and may feel a little like using a pogo stick at times. The preload adjuster works fairly well. I guess this is a budget fork, so would not expect it to perform like one of the high end forks.

Similar Products Used: Marzoochi EXR, RST Capa
Joe Stump   Cross Country Rider [Sep 10, 2004]
Strength:

Stiff, very plush,looks nice on my Monkey. Very cheap but works very well. No air assist wich I hate. They always leak.

Not a high end fork.

Gets a bumb wrap from what I have read but to me being a mild cross country rider hopping tree's logs etc this shock works great. I had a 96 judy xc and it still works great just didnt like the size of the old school shocks. Im going to give it five turds just because it looks great feels great and I have not had any problems with it so far.

Similar Products Used: Judy xc 96 Azonic Ds-1, Trek 9800, Trek Y-22
Bryan   Weekend Warrior [Aug 16, 2004]
Strength:

disc mounts, stiff spring for big guys, looks good, smooth so far

not much adjustability

I've been running this fork for about 3 months and haven't had any hassles yet. Yes the spring rate is a bit stiff, but at 225 pounds, it is just about perfect for me. There's not much adjustability, but luckily for me, It is set up basically the way I like it. I'm running a full-suspension rig with air shock on the rear, so I just dial in the rear to match the front, and we're good to go. Yeah, I know it's not a Zoke, or Black, but its a ton better than the crappy Jett on my hardtail. So, I'll continue to run it until it poops out and then upgrade.

Similar Products Used: Jett, Pace carbon fiber, bmx rigids, some cheapos
Paul   Cross Country Rider [Mar 19, 2008]
Strength:

Relatively light, smooth travel, low maintenence and good looks

a little slow on the rebound, not a high-end fork

I did some serious XC racing in the late 90's, I had a SID fork and the Judy XC has a similar feel. Granted, forks have come a long way since the late 90's and the Judy lacks a little refinement, but overall I've been totally impressed with what you get for the money. Personally, I'm not into huge travel. I was simply looking for a light fork with smooth, usable travel and that's what the Judy XC delivers.