Marzocchi Shiver DC 2004 Front Shocks

The Shiver line of forks gives you unsurpassed lateral stiffness all the while offering up the unmatched smoothness of an inverted design. It's no wonder works motocross and road race suspension forks are inverted in design. Marzocchi brings this technology to the mountain bike. By inverting the stanchions and moving the majority of the fork's weight to the legs, the Shiver series reduces unsprung weight resulting in bump and steering sensitivity that is second to none.

Frank Henoch   Downhiller [Aug 16, 2009]
Strength:

low maintenance, sweet looking, long travel, adjust on the fly, it really complements the long rear travel of my V-10

a little heavy but on a V-10 it doesn't matter

I ride the HELLLLLL out of this thing and I cant seem to break it. the seals finally blew out on it last year after 4 hard years of riding. If ur lucky enough to live in Colorado then you can take it to Mojo Wheel. those guys will hook it up FAT son! it uses the same seals as the 888. then you can put in a little heavier (Noleen) oil.

Similar Products Used: 888
christoph   Weekend Warrior [Jan 14, 2004]
Strength:

- long and smooth travel
- stiffnes
- you don't need to be a mechanic to check the fork
- the geometry is still allright
- MotoX styled appearance

- the price (if money matters)
- the weight (but I trust in heavy parts)
- the decals (I don't like them)

In my case the fork was a just a quick solution because i was waiting for a 888 that wasn't aviable.

But after using the forks a few times my opinion changed. If you would offer me the 888 now - iI guess I wouldn't take it...

The travell of the Shiver is amazing smooth. There is no need for fat tires and low pressure riding anymore. You won't feel any small bumps.
Dropping is easy: Lots of travell mean lots of comfort!
The only problem is the weight. In the beginning I didn't pull stong enough...
The mantainance is easy. The support of the Marzocchi dealers is wounderful - there is no question left unanswered.
The look of the fork is heavy. The little fenders to protect the legs give the ultimate MotoX feeling,but I don't like the decals. I think such a fork should stay clean!

Similar Products Used: Marzocchi Junior T, Monster T (just tested), Noleen DH (very old), Votec GS4 OS
Tom   Downhiller [Jan 19, 2004]
Strength:

Plush Travel
Simple tuning
Stiffness !

No real weaknesses yet...I will post again later.

I have only been on this shock for one weekend now but put about 10 hours on it already. I have to say that I couldnt be happier with this fork. It is really worth every penny. I considered the 888R but learned that it is really too tall for the Bullit and the tire clearance on the it just plain sucks. I also looked at the Dorado but seriously, its 1800 bucks and im not sponsored.

This fork is pretty amazing. I was riding the Super T Pro previously (also a good fork) but the difference between the two is huge. The Shiver is extremely smooth through the small bumps. The first inch or two of travel is buttery soft but the shock is progressive as hell so it feels endless.

The fact that it is inverted seems to make it turn a bit slower but you will get used to that in half a day. On the flip sid of that argument, the inverted design puts more weight closer to the ground...this is a good thing. I am not concered with the lateral stiffness at all, the fork feels as strong as it looks. I did some fast dowhill, jumps, drops and some rythm sections on this, everything felt good.

The adjustablility is pretty standard, compression and rebound. But seriously, you can tell the differnce when you do adjust it. Unlike my Super T, every half turn of the adjuster screw/knob is noticed.

As for weight? It is a bit over a pound heavier than my Super T, I didnt notice any real difference. And lets face it kids, if you are putting a Shiver on your bike, weight is probably not your primary concern.

Bottom line? If you are in the market and have the cash? I would suggest it over many of the competing DC forks. FYI, unlike the previous rider's review, I like the new look of it.

SBF! Y'all are the SH!T
Mach T.

Similar Products Used: Super T Pro, various medium travel Rock Shox
Greg   Downhiller [Apr 13, 2007]
Strength:

Huge confidence inspireing forks... look i may not be able to spell but I know what a mtb fork should feel like and these forks have it all over anything else and i mean anything 07 world cup fox 40's i don't care bring them all on these forks will drop further go faster and last longer between maintenance than anything on the market and they are 4 years shy of the technology of these current forks will run them till I break myself permanently because the forks never will..........

Not a whole lot maybe not as much adjustment as current setups but who of us really give a sh!t...........

THE BOMB need i say more............

Similar Products Used: Fox 40's, boxxers
Chad   Downhiller [Feb 21, 2004]
Strength:

These are slippin stiff and smooth. I have only had them for about a week but did a little urban to break them in and way more smooth than my Jr's. Now I can see why people bash the Jr's. I rode them hard down stairs and small drops to see if they will bottom and it never happened

nothing they aren't even that tall

It seems to be endless travel. Not that heavy I am still able to get the front end of my bike up and am still able top do slow drops with ease so weight is not the problem. If you have the means I highly recommend picking one up, they are so choice. Don't even let the price stop you.

peace

Similar Products Used: Jr T is the only other down hill (supposedly) fork I have owned
Larry David   [Oct 26, 2006]
Strength:

Alright fork, pretty good travel. Like the way it looks and handels (Tough)

To stiff. It isn't the best fork for the money, thats for sure!

This is not to bad of a fork but you could get better for the money so get it if you want, its not up to me!

Similar Products Used: ROCK SHOX BOXXER FORK...A little better.
Jordan Gehl   Racer [Sep 14, 2006]
Strength:

super plush! pretty much impossible to bottom out, i weigh 200+ lbs and haven't even come close yet, really responsive for corners and holds the trail like no other

haven't found one yet

smokin set of forks, if you can find a set buy 'em! these made the boxxers i had look like they were bought from wal-mart's clearance bin, i'd give them a 6.0 out of five if i could.

Similar Products Used: '03 boxxers (crap)
9 Lives   Downhiller [Jan 24, 2004]
Strength:

Just like all the other posters below! Endless travel, will walk over anything including street curbs...the 3 to 4 inch kind. No flex so far. I like being able to adjust the fork hight to raise or lower the steering tube.

None...Decals, you can use a hair dyer to take them off! If I come across any thing I will repost.

I researched all the forks I could aford, and the Shiver DC came out on top for travel, adjustment. The FOES FLY is a duel role frame Downhill or Freeride so the Shiver DC works very well handels like a dream weither ripping downhills or dirt jumping. I'm small at 5'11, 163lbs. the bike WT is 43lbs. total. I'm very happy with the fork. For all those riders out there REMEMBER the fork looks just as cool with the lower covers on. DON'T TAKE THEM OFF TO LOOK COOL! WADE SIMMONS,and DAVE WATSON get a new ride every year.

Similar Products Used: First freeride bike...
Paul   Downhiller [Jan 02, 2004]
Strength:

Super plush. Easy maintenance.

A bit on the heavy side

I moved from Z1 SLs to these and comparing them is a bit daft but....

With the Z1s I tended to be more careful riding over stuff and would 'pick' lines to ride and throw the bike about to suit.

The Shivers are almost 5lb heavier and so the bike is less nimble at the front. However, I have now learnt to adjust my riding style and the Shivers are so plush they allow me to just ride 'through' things. Rather than try and pick the front end up I just plough through and these babies just soak it up.

Small bump compliance is great, my arms seem less sore after a long days riding.

With the stock settings, on big hits they ramp up really well and with my 230lb lard ass I only bottom them out if I mess up a landing of a 5ft plus drop.

Note of caution to Bullit riders
I was thinking about going for the 888s as they're lighter. However, I was told that they would be too tall for the Bullit and I'm glad I didn't as having looked at 888s now they're shippig they would have layed the bike back way too much. The Shivers are about 1.5 lb heavier than 888s(depending upon how much oil you run) so its not a great penalty.

Overall I am very pleased with them, they have taken my riding on another level and let me get away with murder on the trails.

Viktor   Weekend Warrior [Mar 12, 2007]
Strength:

The plushness
The durability
The looks
The spirit
Open bath at its best

Weight (compared to modern forks)
No low speed compression adjustment
Ugly stickers (luckily the 04 series only)
USD design leads to left-right flex

Having bought this fork put me in a fairly hard situation. The more I ride her, the more I feel how plush and reliable she feels. On the other hand, as I start to hit the local races, I get tempted by all those weight freaks riding their boxxers and other weightless air stuff. I know my fork might weigh in a whole kilo (or two?) more than other light modern FR/DH forks and make my bike kinda tank with limited maneuverability in the tightest situations. But still, I wonder if all these mew technology benefits to my ride as much as the good old Shiver does. My mate tells me that my fork has no low speed compression damper setting and as such, she MUST slow me down in the corners while she dives in her travel. But the fact is, with her inverted design, I feel no loss of sensitivity in the corners due to fork dive. The same with flex - I never lose my track. So the truth is out there.
Bottom line is this fork is for those true downhill lovers who are able to stop, push their fat bike slowly back uphill and enjoy their favourite section of the track a couple of times in a row. Remember, racing is fun, even if you are slow, and also remember, that even when you race a lot, the best times of your bike life are during practice. So don't chase those seconds all the time.
Did I mention that this fork will outlast anything you put on your bike, possibly including yourself?
Last but not least: if you don't like the stickers, shut up and peel them off.