Marzocchi MX Pro ETA 2004 Front Shocks

Marzocchi MX Pro ETA 2004 Front Shocks

The MX series blazes up the trails by delivering lightweight & durable performance in a wide range of trail conditions. The MX series fits the name because these forks are geared for maximum trail versatility delivering predictable steering control and superb damping quality under any conditions. This fork is perfect for those who desire aggressive XC style damping while retaining a feather weight feel.

[Apr 21, 2004]
Max The Cat

Strength:

Stiff,quality in finishing,works excellent on rough terrains

None yet

I tested this forks against the best rock shox products and even a manitou elite. This is one of the best forks Marzocchi has made. I dare to say it works similar such a thoese prologic and intelligent forks.

Rock shox sid team,rock shox carbon,manitou elite

[Apr 07, 2004]
Cory Elgin

Strength:

The travel on this thing is so much smoother and the lock out so much better than what I replace

none yet

After reading the reviews on the Manitou Skareb Comp and fearing for my life after such reading I decided to make an upgrade. The Shock seems to be working great so far and for a 215lb'er works pretty good, now I just want to get a full suspension frame to go with it.

Rock shock, Manitou

[Apr 26, 2004]
James

Strength:

external rebound control, cool lockout mechanism (eta), good feel

some flex, rebound control knob on the bottom fell off after a couple rides, but its not a problem if you have anything metal to turn it with.

i'm a true believer in getting what you pay for. you get what you pay for here, so if you want to upgrade your bike to this, then go ahead, but i wouldn't do it if your bike is high end at all. overall, i like this fork, but i'm sure a fox would probably be better.

rock shox pilot xc (stock fork)

[Mar 14, 2004]
Wm. L.

Strength:

Performance and great price. The air & coil construction make the perfect personality - plush, easily tuned and the ride seems almost bottomless. ETA is the superior way to go for varied trail riding. This 120 mm fork and my rear suspension setup allow me to swallow a tremendous amount of stuff, and a quick easy front and back flip of levers give the bike a superior combo for climbing (incl out of seat), tight places, slow going. It is stiffer with better damping than the Duke and Psylos of friends and lighter too.

None, but I want to warn those new to the brand that they need to break in before you make final judgements.

I've had the 120mm model for 5 months, and it seems as reliable as my other Bomber, and Bombers seem more reliable and serviceable than all the brands among my friends and associates. The Fox models I tried were indeed fine, but they made no sense when you put ETA, price and the lack of Marzocchi problems in the decision making process.

Add up the performance and weight for the 120 length, factor in the price and you need a 6 Flamin Chili rating option. A true shut up and buy it product.

Amp (own), RockShox (own) Manitou (tested) & Fox (tested).

[Jun 18, 2006]
Chris C

Strength:

very soft yet hard to bottom out, adjustable, eta works well

little heavy, doesnt bottom out

very good fork, great for xc and smaller drops, but i dont know haw it would hold up with biggger hits. I see this is common, but the dust line is about 30 mm from the top on the travel distance, so it is only going 90mm... for the price, not bad

the unmoving fork on a walmart special

[Apr 17, 2004]
BN

Strength:

Smooth stroke; air pre-load allows for a wide range of adjustability; external rebound adjustment works well; LOW PRICE! The ETA works as advertised; my front disc brake no longer squeals due to fork flex.

At just over 4 lbs it isn't lightweight but when you ride a few times every week most riders prefer quality travel and excellent durability over the weight a few ounces of water . . .

The new Giant NRS2 came with a flexy, short-travel, harsh, oil-leaking Manitou Skareb that really seemed to throw the bike out of balance. After 300 teeth gritting miles and eventually some research, the MX Pro 105 w/ ETA seemed like the obvious upgrade. It was confirmed after talking to my local bike shop.

The ride quality between the Manitou and the Marzocchi was immediately apparent. Bumps were erased, steering precision increased enormously, and my confidence level went up. The stiffness, quality travel, and very low cost of this fork make it one of the best values in mountain biking. Adjusting the air-preload is easy and I've found that 28 - 32 psi is just about right for my 174 lbs.

The NRS now feels balanced front to back and by simply flipping the ETA lever I can stand and hammer with very little, if any, bob. The somewhat relaxed geometry has actually been an advantage during downhills and because the ETA function lowers the front end during steep climbs the extra length isn't noticed.

Take the $300 you save over buying a Fox and put it toward a nice lightweight wheelset (where any weight matters the most). Any product that makes you a better rider, is durable, and costs relatively little gets 5 chilis in both categories!

Early generation Rock Shox, Manitou SX - Ti(if you enjoy fork maintenance and part replacement, this is an excellent fork), Marzocchi X-Fly 100 (still going strong after 3 years on my hardtail, with nothing but an oil change).

[Dec 23, 2003]
Harvo

Strength:

Very stiff (in a good way)... Not noodly. Good travel. Never bottoms.

Not so smooth during break in... but as one forum member said... Some forks require break in... some forks just break.

The fork went on it's first ride a couple of days ago. I immediately noticed the extra travel over my old fork. The fork never felt bad climbing, even without turning the ETA lever. It was bottomless on the downhills, and steering felt precise. I could tell the biggest difference on jumps and hops. My bike felt much livelier with this fork. The takeoffs and landings were much easier and more controlled. I thought I was compromising by choosing this fork over a FOX due to price.... But I have changed my mind. No compromise here. I love the fork. I'll post more after more riding.

By the way... the new aluminum ETA lever seems bullet proof, and the ETA works just as it's supposed to.

Judy XC, SID XC

[Dec 19, 2003]
The Grinder

Strength:

They seem to be robust and more importantly, they perform well.

slightly heavier than alternatives, but lets face it, I'm 190Lbs and these are about 4 lbs. A half pound saving on forks does not mean that much to a large 'ish rider.

I bought these as a replacement for Duke SLs which were becoming increasingly, sticky and poor performing despite regular maintenance.
These were my foray into Marzocchi forks. I toyed with the idea of Fox forks but the cost was too much for me, plus I wanted the ETA type of mechanism.
The Pro ETAs have delivered straight from the box, the ETA works a treat with the new improved ETA lever, the crown has been drilled out by Marz, the disc tabs were fine and needed no facing. They go BOING in the controlled manner you would hope for and expect. The rebound control works. They do seem like a tall fork which is fine for downhilling and a low fork with the ETA engaged for climbing.
All in all, I'm happy with these and people tell me these get better with more use. Good times.

Various, my most recent was RS Duke SLs, i did not enjoy those at all.

[Dec 19, 2003]
Bjorndoggie Cruiser

Strength:

Very stiff, ETA.

It's are plush but not as plush as I expected. My LBS guys say it will break in.

I'm thinking of divorcing my wife I love this fork so much. My ride feels like a completely different bike (a much better one). The fork is way more stiff and plush than my SID especially for a fat, I mean, husky rider such as myself. It is a little taller so I have slightly more bottom bracket clearence. The steering isn't as twitchy 'cause the head tube angle is a little slacker but it feels like it steers better because it's stiffer. I don't know why anybody would want to use a straight lockout on a 4 inch (or greater) fork after trying the ETA. It is simpley the best and to my mind most obvious way to get up a hill efficiently. I have only had a chance to ride it twice so I will repost if necessary after more time on it. Be courteous to hikers and equestrians and keep the trails open!

RS Jett, Judy and SID.

[Apr 25, 2004]
Tyler

Strength:

Beautiful travel, predictability, 120mm!!! and adjustability.

a wee bit of flex...but does it really matter?... And the only thing that i've noticed so far is that the rebound control,,,doesn't really have that noticable difference at +/- ends...but i've only owned for 2 weeks, and i've heard it gets better with time. has to wear in...

This fork kicks ass, so much travel. i started out back in the day just like every other kid building jumps out of ply wood and 2x4s...then after a few jobs and some consulting with a wise friend, i got my first 'real' bike. so i rode galbraith,,,and built some of my own jumps...and was doing pretty big drops for 85mm of travel. THEN more work= more money= better fork= better riding!!! 120mm is a lot for the xc rider looking to do big drops. marzocchi kicks ass, their strong, look cool and don't brake. what else can you ask for? I highly suggest this fork to anyone and their mom.

Marzocchi 03' exr pro dual air 85mm