Marzocchi MX Comp Air 2004 Front Shocks

MX Comp Air

The MX series blazes up the trails by delivering lightweight & durable performance in a wide range of trail conditions. The MX series fits the name because these forks are geared for maximum trail versatility delivering predictable steering control and superb damping quality under any conditions. This fork is perfect for those who desire aggressive XC style damping while retaining a feather weight feel.

nfizzle   Weekend Warrior [Feb 24, 2009]
Strength:

Stiff, pretty plush, Cheap, Looks Awesome, takes a beating

pain in the rear to replace seals, and bushings at home. (BUT IT CAN BE DONE!)little heavy, no on the trail adjusting.

It's a great fork for the price, and it gets the job it is designed for done. Absorbs bumps wonderfully, and pretty good when going off a curb. Not the best for mid sized and larger drops though.

It could be a lot better with some on the trail adjustment knobs.

Similar Products Used: Stock Fork, Rockshox, Manitou
Thad   Weekend Warrior [Oct 14, 2005]
Strength:

Smooth, strong, and no hassle.

None yet. However the weakness might be I have only riden one other shock.

From the very first ride I noticed a marked imporvement. I almost thought I had a new bike. If you want to upgrade from a cheap stock shock, go for it. It is worth every penny. Best upgrade I've made.

Similar Products Used: Rock Shox Judy XC - served its purpose.
Martin   Cross Country Rider [Feb 12, 2006]
Strength:

Tough, solid, almost maintenance free, no air leaks.

No external controls (damping, etc)

Love this fork. I've got mine set up to be almost rigid over smaller stuff and to become active on serious hits. It still takes the edge off gibber and rattle bumps though. I run mine at around 40psi, which is a tad high for my weight. Personally I don't think I'll ever go back to a coil, or coil/air hybrid. I love the adjustability and feel of air now.

I'm glad I found this fork. After the Judy SL I was really unimpressed by that style of fork. The only thing I miss on this one is an Aluminium steerer tube and ETA. Maybe one day I'll upgrade to the MX Pro ETA or Marathon and I'll give the Comp to my GF. I'm just a bit worried it will outlast her bike though.

5 flaming chilis for value and 5 chilise for getting me interested in riding again.

Similar Products Used: Rock Shox Judy SL 2002, Manitou Black, RST 381
Will   Weekend Warrior [Feb 15, 2006]
Strength:

For the price it is strong enough to cope with a fair amount of abuse, the air cartridges, after a period of bedding in, provide a smooth, buttery compression (easily adjustable if you've got the pump). Full air setup means that it is very lightweight and perfect for XC although, if at a high enough compression, can also be used for moderate jumping and dropping.

Do not run this thing on a low PSI for dropping, if you do there is a great chance that it will bottom out harshly and throw you off (believe me i know from bitter experience). Air cartridges are prone to leaking after a time and need replacing. Rebound adjustment uses a fiddly internal allen key system but unless your an adjustomaniac its no big deal. After a few years proggressive riding you will probably want something stronger and with longer travel, especially for the big stuff.

If you're an all round or new rider looking for decent budget fork for starting out or all mountain then look no further, this is for you.

Similar Products Used: Rock Shox Judy XC, Psylo and Marzocchi EXR Pro
Reed Gann   Cross Country Rider [Aug 02, 2006]
Strength:

Stiff, looks, weight, cost..

Serviceability, on the fly adjustment non-existant

Pretty decent, middle of the road fork. This was a huge upgrade in looks and performance from the crap that came with the bike. Marzocci doesn't dissapoint that is for certain. Highly recommended for those who have an older fork or low end fork and want to get a well performing fork, that won't break the bank. Four overall chili's because of the lack of adjustment on the fly.

Similar Products Used: Crap spinner, RoxShox, Manitou,
Erik   Cross Country Rider [Jan 05, 2004]
Strength:

Good shock absorbtion, Stiffness, Price.

Only air-pressure can be adjusted, but that's all it takes

This front shock rocks! Though you can only adjust air pressure with special pump (I'm 85 kg and have a preload of 45 psi), that's all you need! Also very convenient, since you don't have to switch springs to get a stiffer fork, and you can adjust preload to get a smoother or hard-rock ride. Compared to previous RS Judy XC (alright) and Manitou Axel Elite (sucks: too soft, and malfunction from start: send back to maufactory), this shock is heaven! A super shock for zero money!

Similar Products Used: RS Judy XC (2000), Manitou Axel Elite 2004.
James   Weekend Warrior [Jun 08, 2006]
Strength:

matches by black frame! cheap, tuff, easy to manage

a little heavy

These guys are awesome - I was riding my MTB to work doing about 40km along a city street, Dude opens his car door, bang! these shocks took it front on, not a problem, I hit the door so hard my straps pulled out of my backpack. But the shocks kept on rockin' I have used these for 24hr races, freeride and some light DH, big and little. A great overall shock for price.

Similar Products Used: RockShox, Fox etc
Doug   Downhiller [Apr 20, 2004]
Strength:

Light, Very responsive! Easy to adjust!!

If you dont get the right pressure they will shake when you brake...

but dont let this put you off ... let them down a bit and they are as smooth as every other fork i have tried!

Good all round fork... dont know if i would take them downhilling but I have tried them on a free ride course.. (this is not recommended by amnufactor!!) and they survived! and i have got to be honist I enjoyed ever min of it!

Tony   Cross Country Rider [Apr 08, 2005]
Strength:

Strong Build, Can absorb the small bumps as well as the boulders, makes your ride feel so good! Cheap for 120mm travel.

Requires a shock pump (sold seperatley) for any adjustments.

Overall i was very suprised with the performance of these forks, they come plastered with stickers telling you not to use the fork for anything other than XC, but the truth is they can survive and perform for a lot more!
The forks take a while to brake in and makes some squelchy noises to begin with, but even straight out the box u'll notice the diference on your bike ride, much smoother, with great rebound settings (i have not touched mine as they seem perfect).
For the £140 (about $300) i paied for my 120mm travel set they are a bargin!

Only downfall i can find is that a pump is required to adjust anything and possibly the uphill ride is harder as these forks compress a lot easily, but overall this is a muset for anyone wanting budget fork.