Marzocchi Marathon SL 2004 Front Shocks

Marzocchi Marathon SL 2004 Front Shocks

Mg Marathon monolite one piece arch & sliders Marzocchi was there when Marathon racing was born. Endurance races and 24-hour events are increasingly popular, and components that address the unique needs of long distance riding are in high demand. Marathon racers want forks that are durable. They want smooth operation, mile after mile. These cutting edge designs satisfy those needs. These forks are experienced to the core, and they’ll see the sport of marathon racing into its old age.

• Damping system: Dual Hydraulic Compression & Rebound Cartridge Damping Open Bath HSCV Cartridge
  • Adjustability: PL/R/ECC 5 5-position Extension Control Cartridge External positive&negative air preload
  • Spring type: Double Air (pos./neg.)
  • Travel: 85,105 mm
  • Steer tube: Alloy XC
  • Drop-out type: Standard

• USER REVIEWS

[Sep 26, 2005]
    Stu

Strength:

response, stiffness, adjustments, lockout (I love the fact that it locks down and not up), very nice grey metallic paint job, cool stickers

slighly heavier than I would prefer but not a big deal

This is a keeper. I bought the '05 Marathon SL thinking it would be an improved version of the '04. Not true! The '05 was about 1" taller than the '04, even with it lowered to the 105mm setting. And the '05 locks out in the up position. This combination caused my front wheel to lose contact with the ground going up hill. It killed my forward momentum. The '04 locks down, but I haven't even used it. It has lowered my front end enough that I don't lose contact with the ground without locking it down. And I have much better control overall on all sections of trails. The fork is buttery smooth. It's a bit tight right now but I know that once the seals set in it's going to be phenomenal. The 5 position ECC knob for adjusting damping response to suit the trail conditions is sweet. This fork totally rocks.

'04 Fox RL 100, '04 Marzocchi MX Comp ETA, '05 Marzocchi Marathon SL

[Feb 28, 2006]
    McGill

Strength:

Smooth and reliable. Plenty of adjustments to get the whole thing right for you. The seals keeps the air and the oil in and the debris out. Good tracker and holds up well on hard front braking.

Like others have said maybe the manual could have given more information.

These forks do what they say they do.
    Good reliable and low maintenance, they have not yet let me down in getting on for 3 years of hard riding. The seals or bushes are first class. Light enough and low flex plus a good tracker. I paid less for these Italian made forks than for the equivalent U.S made Fox forks, and nobody is going to tell me that these aren't every bit as good.... for less money!

[Feb 20, 2006]
    Sean Leroy

Strength:

Very reliable and plush fork that gives a gamet of adjustments. Strong and tracks well. Good under hard braking....doesn't squirm. Great seals/bushes. Better than the Fox and cheaper.

The Instruction Manual.

Great forks, after getting on for 3 years I have had no problems. Very adjustable on and off of the bike. The air seals work. Personally I have not had a hint of a leak from the positive or negative chambers but I know some of the early 2002 and 2003 ones had some issues. These have made my riding a pleasure. Before this...after transporting my bike to a meeting for 6 hours only to find that my Fox Forks has spilled most of their oil all over the back, I chose to look for Forks more reliable and less costly. These are it. Excellent!

Fox..Manitou..R/Shox..RST.

[Jun 09, 2007]
    Con Rinsrein

Strength:

Stiff and strong with great steering capability. Point and Go forks. Very plush and top quality design and build. Extremely reliable and very low maintenance requirements!

Manual is hard to follow. Get someone who knows these forks to set them up for you.

Even after over 3 years of hard use this is one amazing fork. I know that they are the flagship XC fork and they were expensive but you really get what you pay for!...thought I would upgrade the fork when I changed to a new frame but these Marzocchi's are so darned good that I just cannot find anything that can better them and now on my Giant they are superb, creating a real flying machine.

All the top makes have run by me.

[Jan 29, 2006]
    Ray

Strength:

Tracks well, doesn't lose air, works well when it's working

Left hand cartridge. After 12 months the negative chamber filled with oil. Replaced under warranty (after 2 month's wait!!) the new negative chamber also lasted about 12 months, but with lots less use as I had had a knee injury for 4 months. This time the Australian distributor said they would 'fix' it. It lasted 100km before it went again.

Australian distributor's level of service is pretty weak, also.

I'm a 75kg wimp. The best way to take a jump is to keep both wheels firmly on the ground. No way have I abused this fork, but it keeps breaking. Even that would be bearable if it could get fixed properly and quickly.

1999 Z2 BAMs are about the closest thing I can compare them to.

[Jan 23, 2006]
    Buck

Strength:

Really solid design and construction. Super reliable seals and bushes. Stiff and very smooth action. Adjustable even on the bike with the ECC 5 system. Needs very little maintenance and so dependable. No leaks of air or oil.

It took time to get the forks bedded in and if you replace the seals/bushings at a service interval you need to let them bed in too. This is no real problem. The manual is kind of vague though.

A really good set of reliable and consistently top performing forks. I worked my way up thru the ranks to what I thought were the best...Fox. A few seals blown and oil leaks later I decided to try these Marzocchi forks and they cost me less! Well impressed...great performance ....fit and forget. That's what I like dependable rugged low maintenance units.

Fox Float 100 RLC & F100 X, Manitou Axel, Skareb, Mars Comp, Pace RC 40, Rockshox Duke SL & SID other Marzocchi like Z2 BAM and MX Pro ETA.

[Dec 05, 2003]
    Mike

Strength:

Strong, stiff, reliable. Predictable steering and handling. Makes it feel as though you put on a half inch bigger front tire.

None, really. Weight should not be compared to a SID because Rock Shox will always have to make the lightest fork. Thanks to Marzocchi for not being the one.

This is the best fork I have ridden. I challenge any owner of a SID to ride one off these for an hour off road. You'd be a liar if you said the Marathon was not the better XC fork, even for racing.
    The lockout works by not rebounding, the fork stays compressed. It makes it easier to climb in a bigger gear and negotiate switchbacks. Road riding is a little swifter too because you get into a pseudo mtb time trial position. I prefer it to the other brands extended lockout.
    I had a bomber in the late 90's then rode a SID for a few years. There is no comparison in ride and product quality. This Italian company has been making suspension forks(motorcycles) since 1949. Why would you trust anyone else, especially new players who charge $800?! Sorry Fox, I can't see spending another $200 just to have one of your stickers on my bike.
    The first edition in 2002 had some problems with seals and such, but the problems have seemed to be fixed making this the best XC fork on the market today.

SID, Judy, other Marzocchis, Fox Float, Manitou Mars.

[Jan 21, 2004]
    Tim

Strength:

light, strong, stiff, dual pos air chambers, cheaper than a Float 100 RLC

typical marzhocchi owners manual, recommended air pressures are way too high

I have the 105mm version. This fork is awesome. I weigh 145 lbs and have set the pos air chambers at 20 psi and the neg at 60 psi. (The Marzocchi recommended pressures are too high, just like in the '03 manuals.) I tell you this fork is smooth as butta. I set the ECC in the middle (3rd) position and a semi-soft rebound is just right for my riding style. The lockout works great, flip the ECC to the 5th position and the fork compresses but doesn't rebound to make climbing that much easier. I havn't noticed any uneveness of the fork in the compressed state like the guy below stated, but I have disc brakes so maybe I wouldn't notice anyway?

tested Fox Float 100 RLC, Manitou Black Air

[Jan 02, 2004]
    greg keefer

This is an addendum to a previous review that I submitted under the Suspension 2003 Categoryit should have been placed under this Suspension 2004 Category.
    This fork is far superior to my SID SL 2002, or any SID that I have ever ridden/raced on. Point the fork in whatever direction you want to go, and move. It tracks like a XC/RACE fork should track, confidently. I almost wish that I went with the 100mm version after riding my
    friends FOX F100X, which is the way to go, if you have the sweet hook up. The terralogic inertia-valve is on, or off, and you don't have to flip a switch. But anyway, my problem still exists with the lockout on this fork. I contacted Marzocchi, they emailed back, and the tech who emailed was knowledgeable of a problem with previous Marathons with a seal issue, which causes it to lock out unevenly or something to that effect. Which in turn causes the left V Brake to rub against the rim, almost as if your wheel is out of dish. But everything measures properly, no scraped up dropouts to blame or wheel out of true. Must be mechanical. To my discredit, I have not responded to the Supervisor who emailed me from Marzocchi, because I have been too busy riding it. So it obviously hasn't hindered my riding too much. I received a response from another Bike Shop that read my previous post, and they had the exact same problems with random Marathons too. I have been in contact with my LBS that I have all my time consuming work done at, and they have had mixed experiences too. One guy's marathon doesn't have the problem and another's does. So whatever. I am going to discs in a month and hopefully it will resolve the problem.
    But aside from the ECC issue, the fork is excellent, especially for the price.

[Sep 29, 2005]
    Colin

Strength:

Strong / stiff / fairly light / great trake r/ great under braking / no lateral flex / very smooth / very adjustable / excellent bushes / excellent air retention.

Product manual could be more informative and less generalised.
    Have to concentrate to get the + and - Air pressures right.

This is a term-of-reference set of Forks against which all other Marathon forks should be judged. They excell at their job. One of the best components that I have ever bought. After more than 2 years of hard riding they perform like they are new.

Loads by Manitou, Rock Shox, Fox etc.