Manitou Skareb Super 2004 Front Shocks

Skareb Super

Want an XC racing fork that’s light, blessed with excellent bump eating abilities, AND steers in the direction you point it? Skareb is your only option. This year we’ve stiffened up the Skareb Super’s hollow crown with longer skirts, and further refined the magnesium RA casting; important upgrades considering all Skarebs are now offered in a 100mm travel option. For the first time, you can own a superlight 100mm travel fork with the stiffness to tackle even your most aggressive XC outings.

DirtMgirt   Cross Country Rider [Jul 20, 2012]
Strength:

Light

Way too much flex, leaks even after seal replacement

This fork would be ok for light trail riding, but that's about it. The fork flexes like a wet noodle. I'm no light weight (190 lbs) but I've never had this problem with other forks. When you brake hard on the front brake the wheel will move a good 2 inches or more backwards due to excessive flex. The narrow stanchions are just not good for serious trail riding. The fork also leaked oil even after seal replacement. It leaked air, but took a few weeks or more to leak down. I installed the correct spring for my weight and it performed ok, but not great. I got rid of this fork and went to a Rock Shox SID, much better and about the same weight.

Similar Products Used: Rock Shox SID
g-hed   Cross Country Rider [Dec 20, 2010]
Strength:

Very Light weight, very plush, good lock out etc... I could go on but you wouldn't have time to read them all.

Nothing! As yet...

No matter what any other reviews say, these shocks do not leak any air what so ever, for the whole year I have been using the Skarebs, I have never ever had to pump them up once. These are the best shocks I have ever used and they give you a great ride, even better when paired with my setup of Vredestien Tiger Claws and No Tubes Tubeless Kit. They are very plush, and although I run them at a very low PSI, I have never been able to bottom them out although I am a very aggressive rider. On top of that they look great and are very light weight. I managed to purchase these at a great price, a lot less than Sids and I am very happy with my purchase. Also, the knob on the top of the shocks is very easy to adjust even when wearing gloves and hurtling down a rugged mountainside at 60+kph, disabling the need for a heavy remote. All in all a very great reliable, high quality shock.

Its good to see 99% of other users share the same views.

Similar Products Used: Rock Shox Sid
Miki   Cross Country Rider [Jul 21, 2010]
Strength:

Very light, very plush and very responsive. Great looking too.

Worry a little about the lockout if i forget to flick it off. Maybe a little flexy?

Very smooth, very light and generally a great fork. For the price I paid (£65) i was not going to get a better fork. Have ridden Sid's before but they feel a little too flexy for my style of riding. If these Skarebs were 100mm they'd be perfect.
If Skareb Super's turn up in the second hand market and in good condition, go for them!

Similar Products Used: Rockshox Duke SL, Rockshox Sid Team
Marquism1   Cross Country Rider [Aug 08, 2008]
Strength:

Light, smooth through its whole range, totally reliable to date.

The only thing I worry about with this fork is the remote lockout switch, which is pretty fragile.

I really wanted a nice light XC fork with remote lockout and have been generally happy with Manitou forks in the past, so I picked this one up on eBay. I've been extremely happy with it. It's over a pound lighter than the Marz Z3 it replaced and has far superior ride quality for the way I ride (fast XC, tight singletrack, lots of climbing and fast descending). Depending on the day and trail, sometimes I set it plush or stiff by adjusting the air pressure, but either way it is smooth through the full range of its travel. And it really does use it's full range. With the old Marzocchi, if I set it up stiff enough for some rides it would use about 1.5 inches of travel no matter how hard I hammered it. If I set it up plush, it would be too squishy. This fork has plenty of range between plush and firm, so it's actually possible to find the happy medium that eluded me with the Marz. I'm a longtime mechanic and have rebuilt every fork brand many times. Manitous are pretty easy to work on and understand and this one is no exception. This is an excellent fork that has exceeded my expectations.

Similar Products Used: Many Marzocchi, RockShox, and other Manitou forks
Jim Richards   Cross Country Rider [Mar 03, 2006]
Strength:

a light fork, very strong, doesn't flex w lockout adjustment

oil change is awkward and takes awhile to get the adjustment dialed in.

I like this fork alot but probably wouldn't be great for riders who are 175 lb plus and into FR & DH. the fork is nice and light, comes in at about 3.5 lb which is perfect. I've had the lighter RS and Marzocchi units but found they wobble and flex all over the place and the RS requires endless adjustment.
This Manitou took awhile to get the right adjustment with oil level and air pressure so I would suggest following the manual to the letter and BE PATIENT! Once dialed in I can hammer over anything and not feel a thing, with no wobble or flex. the lockout made a convert outta me too.
I would suggest for the few who didn't like this fork they probably didn't spend the required time dialing it in.

Similar Products Used: rock shox, manitou, marzocchi
Timur Jurkashev   Weekend Warrior [Apr 01, 2004]
Strength:

Stiff, light, well tuned, plush travel, metal knobs.

Heavier than SID Race, plastic stickers, noticeable initial jerk and yes, no negative air (who cares).

First I have removed all stickers, align plastic cups (Taiwan-made), shocked fork to activate lockout, then tuned air pressure (you have to put there more psi). Hey, it worked well - wheel just glues to ground, lockout feels firm (rather than RS Psylo).

Similar Products Used: RS SID Race (actually they both have similar lenght even SID has 63 mm travel).
John   Cross Country Rider [Feb 04, 2006]
Strength:

Light, great travel and incredible customer service. This shock is a great shock, but what makes it awesome is the customer service. I sent in an old shock that didn't lock out and they replaced it with this one. I did have some problems with it leaking, but they sent me seals and oil to fix it up.

Get Manitou, they stand by their products and the guy, Bobby, that handles the warranty and repairs is awesome.

Thanks Manitou!

John   Racer [Jan 14, 2004]
Strength:

very active, lock-out has no play

heavier than 2003

First impression was that it is so soft. When not locked out it gets the full 80mm travel, and does it very easily and smoothly. When locked out there is no play at all thanks to the metal internals, unlike the 2003 which were plastic, this however adds 0.4lbs of weight to this years . They look very spiffy on the bike and have the ability to be upgraded to an SPV assembly at a later date to be made into what is essentially a Skareb Platinum. Rides beautifully, more control than SIDS but more weight. Excellent for XC riding/racing. Just decide if you want function or weight. If fundtion is what you're after get the Skarebs. Oh yeah, and the Skareb Super retails at the same price as the SID race so they are better value for money as well. If you were looking at a SID and wanted lockout but didn't have the money for the TEAM get the Skareb Super. If you did have the money for the SID TEAM then you've got money for a Skareb Platinum with SPV!!!!. I know what I'd be getting.
5 for value, 4.5 for overall (which round to 5) because they are a little heavy. But I can deal with that.

Similar Products Used: Sids, Judys, Dukes, Blacks, Skarebs.
Andy   Racer [Dec 18, 2006]
Strength:

Light-at 3.5lbs, i swapped it for my SID(3lbs) for better ajustability. Rebound damping control is nice, light air fork

no compression damping, has earned the nickname 'flexy-flier' as it does whatever it feels (which generally involves flexing) when I apply the brakes (xtr rims), i call it manipoo when it leaks air (about every week I need to pump it up)

feels a bit better than a SID, same price, and less than 1/2 lb heavier...works great as a XC race fork (bare bones). If you want a fork for better trail riding or anything bigger/gnarlier than XC racing, steer away from this fork.

Similar Products Used: ....talas 36RC2
names don't matter   Racer [Mar 07, 2004]
Strength:

I auctually have the 2003 model. But this is for the 04 because I received the upgraded lock out form Maniou.
Wow !!!!! What a big differance! This fork is stiffer than the 03 version. The new lock out compression lever acts similiar to the SID action with gradual compression leading to lock-out! SMOOTH, SMOOTH SMOOTH! easy to work on,eat's up the trail. You auctuall feel the stiffness when you set it to firm on the compression- feels faster! This thing is stiff-hard when fully lock out, unlick the 03 version with the blowoff valve. Stiffer and smoother than any SID!

Like I said I have the 03 version with the 04 lock-out compression. One small thing, Because Manitou upgraded the lock out with an all metal version that leads the compression to a lock out you loose the blow off valve. That would be what saves you if you forget to unlock the lock-out when you take a hit. The fork does not move when you take a hit.(you feel it)
Just don't forget to unlock on the down hill.
Manitou needs to give you more color options!!!!
I sometimes miss the negative air from a SID?

If you have thought about any sid forget about it! This thing rocks. Super smooth and VERY STIFF! This is exactly what you need for fast xc or racing. Think of weight, function, dependability and you get this fork. I love that they are easy to work on!

93% of every R.Shox product I have used blew a seal or bushing and required me to kiss it's a@ss every 10+ hours, do this, do that to keep them gong. I was doing something to the fork every week, it got old.I got sick of having to get he R.shox tool or special order seals. With this fork you work on it when you want to and the ease.

You gram counters *** R. shox bases they weight on the Sid with a 6.3" or 160mm sterrer tube.What is that a super small frame? So that Sid at 2.7 lbs comes closer to 3 pounds just like this skarab.

Get this fork!!! Go ride!! Attack any hill!! Drop bombs on the down hill!!! See you on the trail.

Similar Products Used: sid sl 02( auctually held up well???) sid team 03(ok,not great), sid xc 00&01(crap) Sid 01(crap) Judys(crap) Mars super(crap) blah , blah, blah