Manitou Skareb Platinum 2004 Front Shocks

Skareb Platinum is the new top-of-the-line cross-country fork from Manitou. It leverages stable platform valve (SPV), the latest in anti-bob technology to produce a fork that is stiff when you need it (climbing, sprinting) while being completely active over bumps and rocks.

santacruzsl52   Cross Country Rider [Oct 20, 2010]
Strength:

Light, weighed in at 1400g.
Very Plush
Smooth Travel
Easy to adjust

None..

2005 Manitou Skareb SPV

This fork gets the job done. I havent used the SPV valve at all really, i like my fork to be plush and take all the small bumps and this fork does it. When racing season comes back around ill probably play with the SPV valve. I used to have a Manitou 3 way swinger rear shock and the Spv was like a lockout with blow off.

Anyways good, light, sturdy fork. Have had no problems with it. At 1400g, there is not much out there thats lighter.

Get this fork if you like riding singletrack and care about having a light front end.

Dont buy it if your a downhiller. Simple enough, XC fork, XC riding

5 chili's for value, it was $60..
4 chili's for overall, its a good fork but i know there is much better.

Similar Products Used: Fox Float 100, Fox Float 120, 2001 Sid race, 2002 Sid SL, RS Tora 318.
Craftsman   Cross Country Rider [Aug 17, 2010]
Strength:

Very light, slim design, performs well on many XC trails.

No lockout, rebound damping is super fragile, fork leaks oil, Manitou's terrible customer service!

I bought this fork for 100 bucks and rode it one time after installing it new. Apparently, if you turn the rebound adjuster on the bottom, it leaks oil like a Jeep. I sent it to several fork repair companies and found that Manitou stopped carrying parts for it. When I called Manitou, they had no recommendations or information as to go about fixing it...so I bought a zocchi instead.

Similar Products Used: Marzocchi 44 RLO, TST2 Air, or Rock Shox Sid
alex t   Cross Country Rider [Jan 30, 2009]
Strength:

Super light, paint job, ease of adjustments

so light b/c made of zinc, magnesium, plastic...be careful not to turn rebound knob too hard

This is a GREAT FORK. Period. All forks have their benefits, but I don't like too many bells and whistles, and hate adjusting--like to set it and leave it. I go to work through the mountains, on fire roads and light trails, and this thing is a savior.

If you can't deal with a little bob, add more air or get a fork that has a lockout. I do plenty of XC/ commuting and the bob I get is minimal, I put about 75% of my bodyweight in the SPV side, and 50% in the other side (pretty sure--thats what Manitou told me) so I am with the other guy down there that was thrown off and confused by the "20-60 lbs" on the sticker). I throw all stickers away...dont know why they had that on there.

I also broke the rebound knob off (little fragile) but Manitou was super cool, helped explain the whole 75%--50% thing to me (which worked amazingly) and actually sent me a whole new inside piece to replace the rebound adjustment...BUT once I added the air the way they said, with the rebound maxed out on high?? I havent adjusted it/ fixed it b/c for commuting/ cyclo having the rebound maxed out is perfect.

Similar Products Used: rock shox sid/ judy, manitou black, fox talas/ vanilla rc
Chris Bautista   Racer [Jan 11, 2004]
Strength:

Stiff and light with great seals

Takes time to dial in

Coming from using the Sid fork for 3 years, this fork is a wonder. It is much stiffer which has improved the bike handling immensely and has given me more confidence in technical sections. The SPV technology does take some time to dial in, but is actually quite fun to do it. The fork remains relatively rigid on climbs in the saddle and thus does not sap any energy from your legs, but it does move a little when standing and stomping on the pedals. I guess if you want total lockout capability one should look into the Fox inertia valve fork. I am very happy with the sensitivity to small bumps as well as the large ones. It is very supple compared to my Sid. A great upgrade for any bike.

Similar Products Used: Rock Shox Sid SL
Howard Roy   Cross Country Rider [Dec 02, 2003]
Strength:

Light, cool looking, stiff, SPV damping

SPV takes some time to adjust

If you mainly do cross country, then the Skareb SPV is the perfect choice, pick 100mm model for aggressive XC and 80mm model for regular XC. The Minute line is too heavy for normal XC, and the Black line only have a 80mm model with SPV.

Similar Products Used: Manitou X-Vert Air
Jesus Del Rio   Racer [Jul 28, 2005]
Strength:

Lightweight, stable, plush

Bobs when standing, no lockout

I bought a OEM version of the super that came with SPV. Great fork, it is plush and very stable. Great for the rocky terrain that surrounds my city. The 100 mm are excelent for scary descents in rocks. The weight is slightly more than the previous SID Team that I owned, but the performance is much better. The only flaw is that it bobs when you are pedalling while standindg. You have to set the preassure on the SPV valve high to almost eliminate this, with a penalty in the confort of the ride. I normaly have to adjust the SPV to the trail conditions. Normally for a race I crank it all the way up to 85 lbs and for a long ride to 65 lbs.

Similar Products Used: Marzochi Z1, SID Team
Jason Hill   Cross Country Rider [Jan 19, 2005]
Strength:

Smooth, light - compared to other 100mm forks, stiff - compared to SIDs.

Have to agree with others about the tech support at Answer/Manitou. The SPV instructions and sticker don't match each other and I can't find any additional tuning instructions on their site. The rebound adjustment knob was very stiff to start with but after a servive at the LBS it is much better.

I rate these forks. The SPV was a little disappointing to start with but my LBS has a very good mechanic who re-valved them to have the newer SPV Evolve which has improved them a lot. There are plenty of adjustments to play with which makes setting up fun or hard depending on what you are into. I just took the small SPV volume adjuster tool with me on the first few rides and have ramped up both the SPV chamber and the main air spring so they get stiffer near the end of their travel. You can also get firmer or softer ride kits for them if you need which is nice. I am get 95mm + of travel often which is wicked compared to my old trusty SIDs with 80mm. If you want something that offers more travel than a SID without a massive weight penalty then go for these.

Similar Products Used: 2000 SID XC
lvm   Cross Country Rider [Jan 22, 2005]
Strength:

100mm of travel, SPV, weight is not bad, black crown/legs looks good. Al steerer.

not the lightest

I purchased the 100mm version. So far I like the fork, lots of travel. It's the first 100mm travel fork I've owned. It's a little bit squishy, but you just ride it out. I found the extra travel helps toward the end of races when you are fatigued.

Similar Products Used: older Manitou SX-Ti, RockShox SID
Bruce   Cross Country Rider [Nov 11, 2004]
Strength:

Very comfortable going down. Lots of adjustments. The no-bob technology is very helpful as I often ride 20 minutes on the road to a trail.

Technical support from Manitou is non existent. The manual instructions on inflating the right tube (for the SPV) say 50-100 lbs but do not match the sticker on the shock saying inflate 20-60 lbs. Repeated emails to Manitou tech support through their website or directly to confirm which is right go unanswered. I'm going by the sticker.
It will still bounce when you sprint. If that is not something you can accept then you need a lockout. I prefer the convenience of SPV over a lockout, though a lockout may be a little more efficient.

This is a very nice fork. Wait for a model year-end close out and it is worth the money.