Manitou Six Six 2004 Front Shocks

Six Six

The Six is designed for the entry-level rider who doesn’t want to sacrifice performance. Key features include 28.6 mm stanchions, convertible travel from 80 mm to 100 mm and a new Reverse Arch casting.

Leonard   Cross Country Rider [May 16, 2008]
Strength:

* cheap
* looks good

* Heavy
* lack of adjustments

Not a very good fork...

Similar Products Used: Fox 32, Rockshox J3, Rockshox Dropoff, Votec.
Matiss   Weekend Warrior [Sep 11, 2006]
Strength:

Strong, Looks Cool

Heavy, Compresses most of the travel when I sit on the bike, Post Mount Disk mounts, Doesn't do much soaking up of bumps

Don't get this fork. I does not do what a suspension fork is supposed to do, like soak up many bumps. It's heavy too. Tried to install new disk brakes, and had to get a special adapeter. The adapter needs huge bolts which I could only find at a Home Depot (three bike stores and a local hardware store didn't stock these huge bolts). If it comes on the bike you are looking at, don't get it. They are strong, and do look cool.

Similar Products Used: Old RST 281, New Marzocchi AM1
James   Weekend Warrior [Oct 04, 2005]
Strength:

The price couldnt be beat. I got this fork at Jenson's website for $75.

Actually on the first day of use I noticed that one of the seals stuck completely to the stanchion and popped out of the lower assembly. I tried over and over to get it to stick back in but it prefered otherwise. I called customer service and they sent me a new lower from the Six Sport. I have yet to replace it.

I wanted a reliable, cheap fork for the daily commute. The Six has only been one of those things so far ($75). While the warranty department was very friendly and quickly sent me a part to fix the problem I dont feel like I should be doing the warranty work myself on a defective product.

Similar Products Used: Axel Elite
Brad   Cross Country Rider [Mar 25, 2004]
Strength:

Adjustable travel from 80 to 100 mm, adjustable preload

none yet

The bottom line is the shock performs it’s intended function. It is a shock made for cross country riding. The shock had a sticker on it from the factory that said not for jumping cross country only. I have seen some bad reviews of this shock saying it breaks. Most of the people were doing like 5 ft drops saying the shock broke. I am not surprised it broke from a 5 ft drop off because it’s a shock that costs less than 200. If you compare it to other shocks in its price range and category it’s a good shock. I am 200 lb and haven’t had any trouble on XC trails with moderate jumps. I believe it can’t be bought by itself and is only a shock that comes on bikes but I am not sure. Don’t be afraid of the bike if it has this shock on it. If you are going to be doing major drop offs save your money and buy a jumping shock.

David   Cross Country Rider [Jul 26, 2005]
Strength:

Looks wonderful. Great trail riding- very soft on hard hits. very discreet, quiet, and practical. AWESOME for a stock fork.

Uncomfortably soft to ride on roads for long distances. non-adjustable (Makes Braking feel ineffective, since it goes down.)

If you've always loved biking and would like to get more serious- and see a bike with a manitou six six fork on it, buy it. it usually indicates the bike is good. Do not buy it if it doesnt come stock on a bike simply because its not road-compatible and can be tiring on cement. otherwise- amazing fork and dont plan on changing it untill it breaks down on me.

Similar Products Used: none, first of its kind.
James Rose   Cross Country Rider [Sep 02, 2007]
Strength:

Solid shocka for the price.

Heavy.

The 74mm post-mounts make it difficult finding adaptors to suit disc brakes. Does anyone know what kind of adaptor will allow the fitting of Deore BR-M515 front mech disc brake with a 160mm disc? My LBS (which is good) didn't have anything.

Greg Notmyname   Cross Country Rider [Dec 03, 2004]
Strength:

Well to start it is kinda cool lookin. It handles suburban riding pretty well.

Flex is rediculous. The PL adjust doesnt do much.

Well, I like the fork for my use(X Country), it wasnt made for jumping. It can handle a foot or two drop and take it like a champ but any more and you probably will break the fork. It is a great fork if it comes on the bike because it does not drive up the price of the bike greatly. I can enjoy a good trail with this one and not fear anything but inexperience. As for it turning to a rigid, man you got a defective fork and should just return it, I've given mine a cross country beating and it is perfectly fine. My only gripe is that it flexes quite abit. I weigh 155 and when i stand up and pump the rim rubs both of the front brake pads. The wheel moves visibly and it is on there TIGHT. So yeah it is a good fork, just not something I would upgrade to.

Brandon   [Oct 29, 2004]
Strength:

Preload adjustment, convertible travel, build quality

The stock spring is too soft for most riders.

This is my first suspension fork which came with my new bike. I had fallen out of the sport back when Rock Shox was the only thing going and they were super expensive so this is my first. For a fork that came on a relatively value priced bike, I think it's quite good. I've found in the 2003 model manual for the Six, it references that the stock spring in this fork is intended for riders 150-170 pounds. That seems a bit ridiculous to me since most riders I know are at a minimum 170 pounds.

As for it breaking....forget about it. I'm 265 pounds. I was 280 when I started on this bike and fork. I've been doing intermediate single track with tons of roots, rocks, branches and trees and this thing is taking a beating. Though it's a bit soft due to my weight (need to get that firm spring kit), you can say this fork won't take a beating. It's not made for taking monster drops but it will definately take an aweful lot given the weight and force I'm making it support. If you can break this fork, then you are just abusing it and/or not using it for it's intended purchase. Don't try to make it a jumping and 15 foot drop fork. If you want to do that kind of thing, then you're going to have to fork out the bigger money...you can't be a cheap ass and get a product that will take that kind of hits.

thomas bixby   Cross Country Rider [Jul 01, 2004]
Strength:

adjustable travel durable

no oil dampening

Great shock for the price a little bouncy because of the lack of dampening. I can hit 3 foot drops all day with this shock. I dropped my bike really hard against a rock and it didn't hurt the shock at all. This shock is great for a entry level XC rider.