Manitou Sherman Firefly 2004 Front Shocks

If your cup of tea is sweetened with a little less travel than the Breakout, but you still savor the aroma of the lightest, best performing freeride fork on the market, the Firefly will lull you to rest with a bag full o’features such as SPV damping and a Ti main spring. Upgrade options include a onepointfive inch steerer and our Hex Lock Thru-axle

lebikerboy   Weekend Warrior [May 02, 2009]
Strength:

Plush/strong

The SPV function has packed it in...

really liked it until the SPV function has quit working. I'm going to try to get it repaired/upgraded...

Similar Products Used: Too many to list
kevlardna   Weekend Warrior [Aug 25, 2008]
Strength:

stiff. solid. sturdy. i got the ti spring one but it's still heavy as hell.

weight. but that's expected.

excellent fork if you find it real cheap. but now, their are lighter options that are just as sturdy and plush.

Similar Products Used: breakout. fox 36...
marten van der Wal   Weekend Warrior [Apr 03, 2006]
Strength:

Fork looks great, 90/130 travel adjust, incredibell stiff with hex-lock

SPV damping doesn't work as well TPC+, stock the fork comes with a to soft spring.

Good fork for street dirt-jump/freeride and even for downhill... You could use this fork for every discipline!

Similar Products Used: Manitou black sport/comp/elite, Manitou splice, Manitou x-vert DC
John   Weekend Warrior [Sep 20, 2005]
Strength:

When it actually works, it works pretty good. Plush and stiff. Soaks up the tough stuff nicely

The travel reducing lock-out thingy mysteriously quit working. It was under warranty so I had them fix it (through a local shop who did the work). I have used it twice since then. On the second attemp to use this feature, it snapped, and then proceeded to make an unreal grinding noise. It has been back at Manitou for a few days and as of today they haven't even looked at it. I was told by my LBS that it would realisticly be another 2 weeks.

Customer service seems to be unreal (in a bad way). Due to this, I'll never buy another Manitou product. It's hard to train when your fork is in the shop twice in 6 weeks.

Similar Products Used: Another Manitou P.O.S. The Axel (on my first MTB)

Foes (awesome)

Various others....

Alex   Weekend Warrior [Sep 20, 2005]
Strength:

Extremely stiff, strong fork, good for people who need to feel safe, and not worry whether the fork will break. Very light as well, hex lock - easy to take the wheel off.

1. Stiff SPV cartridge bushing ever since it was new (the fork has never been plush)
2. Play - over 2mm on the bushings, started having this problem 3-4 months after buying the fork.
3. SPV - doesn't work.
4. Bushings move inside the fork
5. Damping damaged (after 15 months of usage) - fork bottoms easyly.
6. Spring damaged - much weaker then when it was new
7. Pumping up the fork doesn't change SAG or force needed to bottom the fork (recent problem).

This fork is no good if you want to give it a hard time.

Similar Products Used: Marzocchi Mr.T 100mm
Marzocchi Z1 Wedge
Apart from that, only DC forks
dennisd   Cross Country Rider [Apr 01, 2004]
Strength:

-Bigger, Badder, Superbad!
-Torsionally, laterally very stiff
-Very smooth travel
-SPV isn't just a gimmick
-Ti spring
-Rapid travel adjust system actually useable
-rides like a dream
-32mm stanchions
-Chicks dig it

-Relatively expensive
-It ain't light

To be honest, I was skeptical about this fork.. I was actually planning on buying a newer Marzocchi Z1 FR which to be fair is also a pretty decent shock. Also Manitou's reputation with some of their other forks wasn't that great. What changed my mind frankly was the technology of the Manitou. The Z1 does not have SPV this year, the Sherman does. Also trying out both forks on my buddies bikes convinced me that the Sherman Firefly is indeed stiffer.

The first impression I had when riding this fork for the first time was how dialed in it is, how bad-ass it looks and the beefiness of its construction. It feels stiff, both torsionally and laterally. In fact it's the stiffest single crown fork I've ever tried. Absolutely no slop. Also the steering on the bike is much more precise than a Psylo or a Z1 and this is the version with standard drop-outs! All this gives you the confidence to take on some really serious drops and stunts, stuff that I never would have attempted before. The fork really does its job right out of the box..

The rapid travel adjust is great for climbing and the SPV damping adjustment (you need a 16mm socket wrench) works very well. This is one awesome trail/big-hit fork and works really well with longer travel bikes like the Bullit.

However, all of this technology and monster-kill metal comes at a cost: a hefty price tag and more than enough bulk and weight. I realize weight shouldn't be an issue with this fork. It is a free-ride oriented shock but it IS heavier than a Psylo. This doesn't bother me, but for someone considering the Firefly where weight is an issue, be forewarned.

This is a first impression review. I'll post again at the end of the Summer to see how well it holds up. But there's no question that the Firefly is one monster metal machine. If your looking for a long travel single crown, you need to check out this monster-kill fork.

Similar Products Used: Marzocchi Z1 FR, Rock Shox Psylo SL, etc.
David   Weekend Warrior [Jan 21, 2004]
Strength:

super plush in 5 inch mode
4 inch mode is great for urban (I ride this mode most of the time)
durable
light (relative to marzocchi equivalents)
pedals pretty well
practically bottomless
spv system maited with the ti spring reacts to bumps beautifully

a bit expensive even if you do work at a shop (but worth every penny)
stupid 3 mm hex pinch bolts (could easily be 4)
hard to find any real weakness

This fork is simply amazing. I have a breakout on my freeride bike and it doesn't match this performance. I think this is due to 2 reasons: the firefly's spv damping is actually plusher, and the ti spring makes a large difference. I have to admit that I'm somewhat upset with the performance of the breakout not matching up to that of the firefly. I believe that the 04 break out has become a great deal plusher with the addition of spv along with another inch of travel. If you are looking for a plush 5 inch single crown fork or a nice stiff urban fork w/ 4 inches of travel (which can be achieved through the travel adjust), or even both, look no further. This is the best 5 and 4 inch single crown fork available.

Similar Products Used: z1 fr, 99 z1, psylo (eughhh), sherman break out
Josh Yatras   Downhiller [Dec 29, 2003]
Strength:

Adjustments, travel, the fact that they appear to be unbreakable, SPV, and of course they look so good

Expensive

I don't class myself as a great rider but I know a good fork when I ride one and these forks are the best I have ridden or seen. I have dropped six foot landing flat and they didn't even come close to the bottom and I weigh close to 200, I may complain about the price but like they say you get what you pay for. If you are in the market for a single crown freeride fork, you can't go wrong with the 04 Firefly if you want more then 130mm you might want to look at the 04 Breakout