Manitou Sherman Breakout 2004 Front Shocks

Sherman Breakout

The fork that turned the tides in the battle for freeride supremacy, the Breakout remains largely unchanged for ‘04; better this year only by virtue of the wider 40mm range Rapid Travel II top-mounted travel adjustment.

Andrew   [Apr 11, 2012]
Strength:

Handle's anything thrown at it! Perfect for any type of ride.
Extremely light, after 10ft drops etc.. It works like new.

A bit pricey

All in all, a definitely recommend it. I've had no trouble with it.
Shop around to get the cheapest price though.

MikeRosie   Downhiller [Nov 19, 2010]
Strength:

TAKES A BEATING!!! This fork has been through hell and still works pretty damn well. Both the lowers and the stanchions have been banged up badly, but the damage seems purely cosmetic. Despite having crappy small bump sensitivity, it takes hard hits EXTREMELY well, especially big square-edged rocks at high speeds, and of course, big drops. Relatively light, I think (although I've never weighed it but it's WAY lighter than the 888 that replaced it, obviously not even in the same class but thought I'd mention it).

Not very adjustable; there's almost no way to speed up the rebound on this thing. It goes from slow to slower, which negatively effects its small bump compliance. SPV doesn't work very well, I removed it after realizing it has almost no benefit. Not very smooth on small bumps. Kinda ugly (which didn't matter to me), could be more stiff (another thing that didn't bug me), relatively short axle to crown height compared to other forks with similar travel (could be considered positive or negative depending on the rider wants).

You have to ride on this fork to appreciate it. When I first got my bike (the Sherman came stock on it) I started compressing the fork as hard as I could just standing above it, thinking that doing this would give me some idea of how plush it would be on the trail. When performing this test, the fork felt dead and anti-plush compared to other forks, so I thought it would suck. I was wrong. When riding fast, this fork comes alive and saved my @ss many times when I took bad lines.

Awesome durability and great fork for my style of riding. I don't really care about small bump plushness, I just want to know that it can soak up the hard hits when I really need it to, and it does!

I recently swapped out my Sherman for a 888. The 888 just fits my bike better. Although I liked the Sherman, it's short axle to crown height made the geometry on my x7 feel too steep for chunky fast downhill. The triple 888 is an awesome fork and no doubt more plush, but it's also made me realize what a great fork the Sherman was. I never gave it enough credit when it was on the bike.

I'll be looking to build a heavy all-mountain rig centered around this fork (or pedal friendly FR bike if you prefer). I already miss the way it helped my big heavy Haro climb like a mountain goat.

Bottom line, this is an underrated fork and I wish Manitou never stopped making it. It's not the best, but considering what you can buy them for now, it's more than a great value. I will be trying to find more of these forks wherever I can.

Similar Products Used: Totem, Domain, 66, etc. (all long travel single-crowns)
fatnip   Downhiller [Jun 26, 2008]
Strength:

Very Plush, very sexy, lots of knobs

No holes to penetrate

These forks make me wanna blow my load, very smooth ride can handle most of the drops you throw at it.

Similar Products Used: Doe Jhonston
Chris Moyses   Downhiller [Feb 16, 2006]
Strength:

Almost evertything this fork is super plush and doesn't bottom out too easily rapid travel adjust is the best invention ever

The Compression knob does very little, my lowers cracked :(

they are a very good and smooth for but my lowers cracked Anyone who thinks that they have bad seals are idiots who obviously dont know enough about their forks, It is not leaking seals it is purposely done by manitou to lubricat e the fork so it is smooth

Similar Products Used: marz z1freeride 2's marz z150
Kyle   Downhiller [Jan 31, 2006]
Strength:

Verys strong fork, Not very heavy awsome for freeride

Seems like they are kind of slow not respoding real quick...

Nice fork great for freeride,downhill, crank it down and do some dj's overal sweet fork.

Similar Products Used: dj3, flick
Dylan   Downhiller [Dec 10, 2006]
Strength:

good feeling fork

great light weight freeride single crown awesome

Similar Products Used: jrT
Dan rou   Downhiller [Apr 17, 2004]
Strength:

It handels perfectly in the trails or in 10 foot drops.It 6inches of travel feals endless, it performs almost like a cross country fork in its 110mm setting and just like a 8inch fork in its full travel settings.

with its 1.5" steer tube, it weights a ton!!
And its price lol

If you want to go all-out with a single crown fork, this is the fork for you...or its big brother the breakout plus, if you can afford it.

Similar Products Used: Psylo sl, Z1-drop off and shiver sc.
Pascal C.   [Sep 09, 2005]
Strength:

Light, many knobs

The compression dampening knob does nothing. The fork is not plush or progressive. The seals really suck, they are the worst thing about the fork.

My stantitions are very scratched because the seals leak oil which attracts dirt and sand.

Similar Products Used: Marzocchi, Fox
Alex Milnes   Downhiller [Jan 16, 2005]
Strength:

Works well, Lots of fine tuning addjustments on the fork. matt black finish looks cool. 1.5 stem is really stiff and i cant feel any flex

its lower legs are made out of magnesium so do not take near any salt because it corrodes like feck were the 20mm axel goes.

do not buy if u live in scotland or like to do a lot of traveling with the bike on the back of the car

Similar Products Used: jn T, bomber
BURN   Downhiller [Aug 09, 2004]
Strength:

i think the manitou breakout is sweet the bigger stem makes my freeride bike feel so much more grounded and stiff. i love it i can literally fly through those sections of trails im not supossed to go..these forks rock have nothing but love for manitou

umm i think the weakness on mine is not having a fender on it. i love the flat black look matches my powdercoated black rearend on my bike

this is a great all around freeride downhill shock .it gives great travel to those huge drops and really saves your neck on those steep huge downhill faces.The Manitou Sherman Breakout is a killer front fork its worth it trust me.you won't regret it..