Manitou Black Elite 100 2004 Front Shocks

Manitou Black Elite 100 2004 Front Shocks

This year we offer two Black Elites, both are coil sprung but neither is necessarily any better then the other…they’re just different. The Black Elite 100 has preset travel and our heralded TPC Lockout damping system, while the Rapid Travel Wind Down (RTWD) version has Fluid Flow damping and our new geared travel adjust system for anywhere between 90 and 120mm of travel, on the fly, without a change spring rate. It’s your choice.

[Mar 07, 2006]
Matt

Strength:

very plush and responsive

Maintenance and quality

I got a good deal on this fork so it was worth it. If you have the money buy a FOX!

Fox Vanilla

[Jul 18, 2005]
Zachary

Strength:

Plush ride and the lockout is a beatiful thing when climbing!

Operator error; forgetting to unlock the fork=ouch!

This is an absolutely wonderful fork. I hope it lasts me many many more years!

Rock Shox Judy, Fox Vanilla

[Apr 01, 2005]
bil fil
Downhiller

Strength:

STRONG, light, rebound adjustment and lockout actually work unlike marzzocchi crap, awesome.

none its beyound perfect

i do 10 ft to flats on this fork, I gap 15 sets, and do freeriding on this fork. I totally misue it and its holding up perfectly well. I would reccommend that u use it for what the fork is intended for but heres a note to all you cross country riders, if you get this you will never need to service it. (provided you don't do 20 ft hucks). AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME

marzzochi z2, rockshox judy xc

[May 16, 2005]
Louis

Strength:

This fork is great, the fluid flow damping works quite well. the spring set is perfect for my weight(175ish) not to stiff or plush. i dont notice any flex at all. it soaks up everything bigger then a small stick, feels like your riding a rigid down a sidewalk or road.

i havnt noticed any weaknesses yet

this fork is great for all around riding. it islight for xc and is stiff enough for light freeride. i havnt had much time to use it but so far i am very pleased.

manitou axel super

[Dec 13, 2004]
Big Daddy

Strength:

Cheap, light, simple.

This review is for the 120mm Black Elite.

Great fork. I didn't expect much of it for the price, but I've been really impressed. Very supple over the small bumps and takes the big hits without a problem.

Also, the 120mm model I have came with a heavy spring in it which was nice given that I'm over 200lbs.

[Dec 18, 2005]
Eddie

Strength:

Good plusness, Lockout worked for the first 5 months. A fair cost for such a good fork.

Lock-out stayed locked out, but got it fixed the next month.

A great fork for such a great price. I wonder what the newer year models will be like... This fork started off my career for racing, meaning it is one of those forks that you cant get rid of.

Marzocchi Drop off

[Oct 18, 2004]
Pawel

Strength:

Great fork. Very stiff. Absorbs just about anything you can throw at it.

After the the second month of owning the fork, TPC lockout stopped working. Don't really use it that often, but still worried it might lead to other things. Told my LBS about the problem, said it should not be anything difficult to fix, most likely a broken seal somewhere. No oil leaking, so i'm not worried. Planning on taking it in shortly.

Great fork for cross country and light downhill. Even with the TPC lockout failing, think it is a quality product. This problem is rare, do don't get discouraged. Springs are a bit too soft for my weight (205 lbs), thinking of a spring kit. Fork takes a beating, do alot of free riding, drops, stairs, walls, tables, etc., and fork keeps on going.

RockShox Rudy T2

[Jun 02, 2004]
Doug

Strength:

Lotsa adjustments. I have the Elite with TPC lockout, rebound, and preload. It really helps to dial in the best ride for you. It's a lot stiffer than my previous fork, the Axel Super.

If it matters to you, this model has 100mm of travel, preset and non-adjustable. If you want the RTWD feature, I would reccommend going with the Platinum, as it also keeps all of the adjustments of the Elite.

The OEM Axel Super started flexing so much my tire would rub when cornering. Let me tell you, that does NOT inspire confidence! Anyway, Answer Products allowed me to cover the Axel under warranty and upgrade to the Elite a a good price. So far, it's a lot better - stiffer, smoother, more bells and whistles.

Gotta give it 5 chiles for value (warranty credits rule!) and 4 for overall. Yes, it's the best fork I've ever owned, but it's still not high-end.

Axel Super

[Jun 03, 2004]
Mr Ryder

Strength:

Very stiff and no noticable flexing.Easy adjustments and great dampening on big hits,medium jumps.

None at this stage and " I "" don't give a hoot about the stickers peeling.

These forks are great for my riding style(cross country, downhill)and I've got no complaints. They're smooth, no nonsense forks that I would recommend to anyone who does similar riding to myself.

old Manitou magnum

[Aug 26, 2004]
Mark

Strength:

Stiff steering and plush in operation with the ability to soak up rough trails

Massively over sprung unless you weight 200+ lbs. Manitou take note!

As an aggressive XC rider and these forks are well suited to my riding style. I also commute 60+ miles a week to work some road some rough track. In comparison to the Manitou Six’s fitted to my bike from new these forks are a big step forward. In comparison with my original forks there is minimal flex and the Semi-Bath with Evil Genius Seals is a fantastic upgrade over the old grease ports.

I am not sure the lock-out is really that effective out on the trails but then I have not used it that much, as my ring style when climbing doesn’t result in the forks bobbing. On the road, again the lock-out makes little difference. However, the damping system works fine with a half a turn adjustment easy to use and effective.

However, for someone who weigh 140 lbs I believe these forks are massively over sprung, especially as they are also an air fork. Now that I have installed a lighter spring, these forks have bedded in fine.

If I could have bought the forks with a suitable weight spring from new they would have got an overall rating of 4 chilli’s but as I couldn’t it’s a 3. Overall, these are a great dependable XC fork, well worth a look, but get the shop to fit the right weight spring before you part with the cash.

Manitou Six's