Manitou Axel Elite 2004 Front Shocks

All new for 2004, the Axel family is designed to provide new levels of high performance and high value. Features include 28.6 mm stanchions, convertible travel, hydraulic damping and a Manitou RA casting for ultimate stiffness without extra weight.

Rob Stebbings   Weekend Warrior [Sep 12, 2007]
Strength:

Looks ok, reverse arch and no canti bosses.

Flexes a lot, even for a casual XC'er. Don't inspire confidence at all.

1 rung up from Suntour, RST etc but Rock Shox offerings seem better in this price range.

Similar Products Used: '98 RST 381 CL (really cheap but ok), '00 Judy Race (nice light XC fork), '00 Mazocchi Bomber (like a stonger stickier Judy Race)
JDEcho   Weekend Warrior [Dec 22, 2006]
Strength:

On paper it would seem to be a good XC fork. Reliable.

To soft for heavier or aggressive riders. Adjustability is all or nothing, no in between.

I weigh 185 and it is just to soft for me. Bottoms out to easily no matter how it's set up. Would be fine for lighter and less agressive riders. I've had no problems with it but it's tops on my list of upgrades.

Cris   Cross Country Rider [Jan 23, 2004]
Strength:

Convertable travel, Microlube grease ports, and RA casting

Pretty soft but thats not a problem because im 140 lbs.

I don't know if I would have this fork if it didnt come on my bike but so far Im satisfied. Not the best fork out there but it is all I need. But if I put on 40 lbs it will be way to soft.

Similar Products Used: Crappy nsync shock than came on my old Trek
Kyle   Cross Country Rider [Mar 06, 2007]
Strength:

Cheap!!! If you can't afford something else it workable.

Soft!!! If you are a big rider this thing will kill you. Tightening and loosening did nothing to change damper.

Hold out for something better if you can. These came stock on my Rockhopper and I beat the heck out of em for a year. I was new to mountain biking and they were perfect for a beginner. They held up good and never locked up on me. I could never get them adjusted properly and they constantly bottom out cause i'm a big rider. They couldn't keep up as i became a more advanced rider. Marzocchi makes some much better stuff in the same ballpark price range or, if you have the cash, Fox Vanilla series are incredible.

Similar Products Used: Marzocchi All Montain III, Fox Vanilla
Michael Chlebowski   Weekend Warrior [Feb 21, 2004]
Strength:

Good travel. Not too soft but if I were a 'big boy' I would say it was. Strong construction, takes the punishment. I don't think I'll be needing a warrenty replacement. The msrp is a bargain in the money/miles ratio.

Heard it could bottom out, but haven't had it happen to me yet and I like jumping over stuff at full speed and taking the bumps (my insurance company hates me). I'm not sure if it will bottom out because I'm 155lbs, but I bet if I was 180lbs it would.

All round good and tought though some might feel it to be a bit soft in the compression. Manitou durability will take the punishment.

Similar Products Used: Judy TT2
Ed Hood   Racer [Apr 29, 2004]
Strength:

Lots of features, sturdy enough for agressive riding. Good for casual XC riding.

Prone to Bottoming out on 80mm. Many Problems Encounterd. Not up to racing. Fork not easily convertible from 80/100.

This fork came with the bike, and had problems right from the start. First of all someone had tampered with the bolts inside before i even got it, and therefore after a few weeks riding the whole inside of the fork had to be replaced. Then when i got it back the rebound adjust had stopped working, so that had to be fixed up too.

The ride is good for casual, but not up to racing. On rough/rocky single track it just doesnt cut a smooth line, even on the softest setting had my arms begging for mercy.
I would reccommend this fork to a recreational or casual rider, but nothing more.

speed demon lady   Cross Country Rider [Aug 21, 2005]
Strength:

Uhh...if your slow and like to walk down the hills it's a good beginner fork for you.

Going up to 30 mph over a rock garden is not the Ideal fork. This fork doesn't absorb poo. I do have to say, it's good for someone wanting to try out mountain bike racing.

If you want to feel more confident with downhill descents, choose or upgrade your fork. Since this fork only has 100mm, choose a fork with more absorbsion.

Similar Products Used: Marzocchi Z1 Drop-off 1 and the Psylo Rock shox XC with a extremly different bike set-up.
mark   Cross Country Rider [Jul 28, 2005]
Strength:

Good travel, easy to use preload, microlube ports are excelent.

rebound adjustment is poor, but rebound is OK so not a problem. Forks lock up if ridden in very wet conditions.

Good set of XC forks, have ridden about 1500 miles on them and they have locked up twice. This free's up after adding some grease to microlube ports and riding for 30 mins. If I lube forks before going out in very wet weather there is not a problem. Fork bottoms out off 3ft dropouts, but then is an XC fork, what do you expect? They are a good set of cheep XC forks.

Similar Products Used: none
Tim Krasin   Cross Country Rider [Jun 08, 2005]
Strength:

Simple, cheap, 100mm, rebound adjustment

Flexible, stiction

This shock provides good travel, but seems to suffer from a bit of stiction - it doesn't operate nearly as smooth as the Lefty $$$ (with roller bearings) or my wife's RS Psylo XC (may have to secretly swap forks with her). A good fork for the money though - see them going for ~$75 online now.

Similar Products Used: Headshock, Rock Shox Psylo XC, Lefty (demo)
Jason Biber   Cross Country Rider [Jun 15, 2005]
Strength:

Very adjustable and slick looking. I weigh over 200 lbs and have not bottomed out yet except riding over a 3 1/2 foot log jump without any speed...I was scared. Really took my rim out of true, but the fork still works great. This came with my bike and I love it so far. Not sure if I have 80mm or 100mm of travel, but who really cares!

A little notchy, but it is still semi new. Paint is easily chipped and scratched but I don't think anymore than any other fork.

I am a true novice (getting better all the time). The guys I ride with have been doing it a while and they are impresseed with my progress. This fork is great for someone like me. I'm sure as I get better and want to try some bigger stuff, I will need a slightly stiffer and deeper fork.