Fox Shox Vanilla 125 RLC 2004 Front Shocks

Vanilla 125 RLC

• 125mm Travel (can be set at 80 or 100)
  • FOX exclusive PSC chassis provides unparalleled steering precision and industry leading torsional rigidity.
  • Patented, High-flow, open-bath damper with SDC (Shimmed Damping Control) and exclusive 3-Way top-cap adjusters for on-the-fly convenience.

• User Reviews (24)

Adam Pask   [Aug 07, 2007]
    Strength:

Everthing ...minus the rebound knob hitting me in the chest ...lol lil dig there ...

Not a one !!!

Just wanted to say thanks to Dustin Spencer , Fox rep ...he actually reads these things !!! He is the dude !!!!!!!!! Ride on brother !!! Never got the sweat but I got the jersey ...thanks for your amazing atention to detail my friend !!!

Adam ...Cheers .. look me up if your up here and we'll shred some sweet single track !

Similar Products Used: Name it ... Rock Shox ...old and new ... Marzocchi old and new...Manitu...Stratos ..nice seals ..butt holes
    nic   [Jan 28, 2004]
    Strength:

Coil Sprung, P-lush, Actual damping.

Inadequate stock springs, Finish flakes off, Weight (not unreasonable, given the intended use, but still the same as Cro-mo jump forks)

The legendary Fox coil fork at the legendary weight.
    Great seals/wipers and effective damping (adjusted by ALL METAL hardware) combine to give forks that are easily as plush most air forks.

Tuning is easy, with grippy aluminium knobs and precise clicks. The difference in damping between a few clicks is very evident, changing the fork from an ultra responsive trail fork to as serious a single crown hucking fork as you can get. At the trailhead, skatepark, wherever.

The only caveat is - Read the manual, find the spring most suitable for your weight, then choose one heavier. Comes with three springs, all inadequate unless you are lightly built 12 year old. Better still, go to the orange or red spring, crank up the rebound damping and enjoy a serious drop off/urban fork.

The only credible alternative to Marzocchis.
    Ok, it could do with 20mm axle (converting my hubs to bolt on), better stock springs and be cheaper.
    But i repeat - This is a very very plush fork with very very responsive tuning. If you don't want one, you haven't ridden one.

Similar Products Used: Marzocchi MX comp, psylo.
    Adam   Cross Country Rider [Dec 04, 2006]
    Strength:

Amazingly plush ... seems endless . When used with the lockout enguaged as per MBA this fork is near flawless ..I have never bottomed it and I ride loaded at 215lbs ,plus I haven't changed the spring to a heavy one so this says something about the compression and rebound dampening in these baby's !!! So far the best 5" travel fork I've had

After a season and a half (I have several bikes so I don't do alot of miles on any one bike)the compression rod blew out of the shock while I was going through a fast choopy section ...hit me in the chest so hard I though I was hit by a paint ball !! Then it continued to spit up oil all over me untill I stopped and let it sit upside down until nothing was running out .It ruined my Race Face jacket and cost me almost half as much as I paid for the fork to get it fixed !!!

Killer fork !!!! Keep an eye on your rebound adjuster rod ... it may bite !!!

Similar Products Used: Psylo , Bomber the original orange one's , 2000 Bomber CR1 , GOING WAY BACK ...MAG 21's , MAG 20's ...rigid ..haha
    chris Kasey   Downhiller [Apr 07, 2004]
    Strength:

Its a great fork as plenty of travel and soaks up almost anything. They rebound adjustment is great. Its good at almost any kind of rideing, downhill, Urban, dirt jumping ect.

If you like to do everting this is the fork for you, This fork is the best fork I have ever had. Its rebound is great Ive never bottomed and downhilling is the best. If you like Urbaning downhilling and dirt jumping... THEN GET THIS FORK.

Mike   [Mar 14, 2004]
    Strength:

Super adjustable, stiff w/ good tracking,

A bit heavy

Okay, this is my 2nd Vanilla fork in a month, the 1st one (100 RL) died within 2 hours of me riding it when the dropouts ripped off. Fox replaced it within 2 days with a RLC adjusted to 80mm travel.. I like the Vanilla fork alot, super adjustable, tracks really well... my old Mars CL was flexarific.

My only minor gripe is it's hard to turn the Lockout without turning the dial below it... but I can live with this.

Similar Products Used: Judy SL, Manitou Marc CL, AMP fork
    Eric   Weekend Warrior [Jan 08, 2004]
    Strength:

Everything about this fork is great it gives a wide tuning range and is the best fork I have ever had! It's no flex manors make it well worth the money and a great freeride fork.If you are a cross country rider keep your money and leave these forks for the people who want to jump.

The only thing I have found is that the paint around the dropouts starts to peel after about a month but that doesnt bring down the life of the fork its still great.

A great overall buy and is worth every cent to the person that wants the most out of their big drop bike trail bike. Fox Forx are the best when it comes to freeride!

Similar Products Used: nothing
    Chance   Racer [Apr 20, 2004]
    Strength:

Set it and forget it, plush, outstanding quality

The fork is a set it and forget it beauty that soaks up anything I have the cojones to attempt. It bailed me out on numerous occasions in Moab when I would try things I shouldn't have or would make a mistake. There is no bad line with this fork. I'm sure it is heavy but why in the heck would anyone be concerned about weight for the applications this fork would be used for.

Similar Products Used: Fox F100X, Sid World Cup, different Marzocchis
    ronen bahir   Weekend Warrior [Jun 08, 2005]
    Strength:

light,plush,stiff

underbuilt,mag lowers

I bought it second hand and I rode it for almost a year and it was superb. I'm about 200 lbs .I did everything with it from urban to agressive trails.It handled it all well,until today.I went to a little ride ,on the second road climb on the way to the trail my chain broke and i crashed ,when i got i noticed that the fork's left dropout broke ,i was lucky because in the end of the climb there is a very fast with a lot of turns road downhill section if i crashed there i wouldve been dead or very badly injured. in 2005 fox thickend the dropouts.

Similar Products Used: none
    jay li   Weekend Warrior [Jul 07, 2005]
    Strength:

Very smooth dampening. Rigid design with 32 mm sanchions. A lot of adjustments. Oil dampening.

None yet.

A great fork that give performs very well and gives a rider confidence on the rough trails.

Similar Products Used: Marzocchi Comp Air ETA and Judy TT.
    Mike   Weekend Warrior [Sep 07, 2005]
    Strength:

I'v only ridden the shock for 4 months (about 500 miles)and have only had 1 problem. Overall it is exactly what I expected, a durable spring fork able to handle rocky terrain.

Warranty. The problem I did have, (after about 50 hours of use)was the bolt on the bottom of the fork for the plunger fell off during a 24 hour endurance race. The factory said that it was my fault since I didn't retorque the bolt to factor specs often enough. So I paid the $9 for the bolt and washer. I was just glad I didn't have a real problem.
    The fork is noisy and bangs when it recoils fast. They may want to put some type of rubber bumper at the top of the shock on future models to prevent this.

The forks works well, but don't rely on the warranty. Most riders who get this shock with a bike will have to order a stiffer spring. The one that comes with the OEM is way to soft. I go 165 lbs and the 5" travel of the fork would bottom out doing 6" high bunney hops standing still (boo!!). I purchased the stiffest spring available and have only bottomed out twice on about a 2' drop. I would not reccomend this shock to anyone over 185 LBS.

I'm hoping it doesnt break again, if it does I will just take it to a local bike shop if it is something serious, because I'm sure it will be my fault if I call the factory.
    (p.s. remember 3 Chili's is "good")

Similar Products Used: Rock Shox sid (air) - No problems with 4 years of use. Still holds air with no rebuilds.