Fox Shox TALAS RLC 2004 Front Shocks

TALAS RLC

• Proprietary travel adjustment between 85mm and 125mm is top-cap accessable for on-the-fly travel changes or set-and-forget optimization of steering geometry and handling.
  • FOX exclusive PSC chassis provides unparalleled steering precision and industry leading torsional rigidity.
  • Proprietary Linear Air-Spring system works integrally with the TALAS travel adjustment to insure optimal air-spring characteristics for each travel increment and utilizes a second, floating-piston seperated air-chamber, to provide air-spring weight with coil-spring feel.

• User Reviews (30)

Dan   Weekend Warrior [Jun 20, 2010]
    Strength:

It flat works. Very adjustable, smooth, the knobs actually do something, stiff

Don't know any. Price new was steep I guess.

I have had lots of forks over the years and this one is the best I have used by far. The adjustments actually do something and the fork can be tuned to act about however you want it to. I wish my old motorcross forks were this tunable. I love this fork.

Similar Products Used: Many different xc forks over the years.
    Mark Weir   Racer [Mar 02, 2004]
    Strength:

The Fox Talas RLC is the best all around trail fork i have ever used. The fork is stiff light weight and plush this fork works as good as the coil but with out the extra weight. I run this fork on all my bikes and not just because they sponsor are team but because i think they are the best fork out. It's all about the ride not about the free.

I have been beating the hell out of them all winter rain or shine about 130 miles a week off road have not had a problem yet.

The guys at Fox ride bikes and they live in Norcal those alone are good reasons to ride this fork. If you are a guy or girl that does it all XC,DH,all mountain you name it this fork is the best one for the job if you don't believe me email me and we can ride and i will show you.

Similar Products Used: evry fork you can think of i have tried.
    Dave   Cross Country Rider [Mar 11, 2006]
    Strength:

Strong, adjustable, supple, travel and rebound/compression adjustments truly are independent (unlike Manitou).
    The perfect fork for this application (from xc racing to all mountain)

None (maybe getting a little less travel than 80-125)

There's a reason why since fox forks have hit the market just about everyone who seriously rides has one (just about everywhere I visit where there's a serious non-dh/freeride trail- most guys are riding this fork).
    Having this fork for an epic ride feels like cheating. (short travel on the way up- long and slack on the way down-lockout and short on the road).
    It's not a cheap fork- but it is a value since you won't need to get another fork in 2-3 years.
    Have never had any minatenance probs- in 3 hard years of riding.
    Probably didn't need to get the RLC- the RL would've been fine (I have adjusted the Compression once or twice- not a lot).
    Get this fork and never shop for a 130mm or less travel fork again.

Similar Products Used: Manitou (old SX-ti, SX-R)(Sherman breakout plus on other bike)
    Marzocchi Marathon SL (80mm)

Howard   Cross Country Rider [Sep 15, 2005]
    Strength:

I love this fork! It is so plush and takes so much punishment and has caused me not one minute of grief!
    It holds air! It has enough adjustments to make your head spin! It handles small stuff with cush. It handles the big stuff with cush! I love it!

Nothing! Nope! Nada!

This sucker rocks! I have ridden this shock almost every day for almost 1-1/2 years...probably close to 3000 miles of rough arizona mountain trails. I have never had to add air. It holds air! I have never had to add oil. It holds oil! I have never had it lock up or lock down. I can set it on the fly for just about any trail condition (I've since found the sweet spot and I don't fiddle with it much anymore.)
    This is an expensive shock. If it had not come with the bike, I'm not sure that I would ever have discovered it. But I'm glad it did. It's worth it if you can get over the sticker shock.

Similar Products Used: Manitou Minute 2 (pretty good), Fox F100X (really nice!) Manitou Axel (crap)
    Matt   Cross Country Rider [Mar 09, 2004]
    Strength:

Stiff. Keeps the front wheel on the ground. Do I have to say "Adjustability?"

Heavier than my old Marathon

I'm excited about this fork. Really feels like it uses all of it's travel well. Predictable, tunable response. On behind the seat rollers and endo inducing transitions, even at speed, it soaks up the big hits and keeps your bike upright. On technical trails it makes you faster since your front wheel is glued to the ground. Kind of like your front end is on a rail, and you can think your way to wherever you want it to go. I love the travel adjust, even though I will probably only use it for racing. The extra inch dosen't seem to bother me on technical climbs since my front wheel is making much better contact than before. Overall, I'm glad I bought it, even though it's heavier than my old Marathon, which is in it's own right, an awesome fork. But that's another review.

Similar Products Used: 2002 Marathon
    Adam Smith   Cross Country Rider [Mar 10, 2004]
    Strength:

very adjustable; feels like a spring shock, but works like an air shock; i love the travel adjustment, 125mm is awesome for freeride but 80mm is great for XC racing; seems very sturdy;

None so far.

great fork; built to last; great technology and a pretty good value for everything that you get in the fork; most adjustable fork i have ever rode on.

Similar Products Used: marzocchi x-fly 80
    Devlin   Weekend Warrior [Feb 20, 2004]
    Strength:

large stantions(32mm),beefy legs and crown,very adjustable (travel, rider weight, rebound valving,threshold blowoff, light, all metal parts, 8" rotor compatable.

if you are looking for a extemely adjustable, STIFF,light, plush air fork you have found it. this is a riders fork, with a great company backing it up.

FYI: if you are one of those riders that likes to adjust to a short travel mode for climbing, this fork must go through several cycles before returning to more travel

Similar Products Used: Z1, Z1 mcr, marathon, marathon sl
    Kevin Lowe   Weekend Warrior [Jan 02, 2004]
    Strength:

These should be as follows, Travel adjustment on the move!, Rigid, Runs like a coil spring, Adjustable.

Currently fails to regain height after being lowered. Overpriced with no price reductions available. Over complex, is the R good enough?. No boss is a daft idea when no other form of location for the brake hose is provided.

Not a great fan of air forx main problems being only able to obtain 60mm of travel from a 100mm Forx after sag has been taken into account. Also a lot of messing about with pressures and temperatures.
    Well these forx's seem to have resolved the problem with the travel. you can get full travel with the correct sag. The only problem i have at the moment is trying to get the forx to recover to 125mm after being reduced to 80mm.
    Early days will report later on.

Similar Products Used: Marzocchi X-Fly,Marathon S
    Uthman Ray IV   Racer [Feb 23, 2004]
    Strength:

Smooth/plush travel, large stanctions provide stiffness needed for aggressive riding, very adjustable, progresses evenly thought the travel.

Haven't found any, and doubt I will.

Whether you're a racer, freerider, dirt jumper, or weekend warrior, the Fox Talas fork can be adjusted to your liking. Air spring, travel, compression, rebound, lock-out, and blow-off adjustments allow the fork to be set to a variety of riding conditions and/or styles. I have found myself having more fun and riding some of my favorite trails faster than ever before after installing this fork on my bike. The adjustable travel allows the fork to be set to 5 inches for more aggressive conditions, and to 3 inches for climbing--both of which can be done with only a few turns of a knob. The smooth travel and stiffness of the fork provides the tracking and rigidity needed for cornering. I would recommend this fork to anyone who is looking for a fork with enough travel to take up the bumps of downhill riding, and a weight that won't have you cursing by the time you get to the top of a climb.

Similar Products Used: Rock Shox Psylo, Marzocchi Z1, Manitou Black.
    Rick   Weekend Warrior [Jan 24, 2004]
    Strength:

Stability, smoothness, quiet

Price, none

Amazing fork. I thought the Marathons were the ultimate until i bought this bad boy. It's quiet, butterly smooth and you can have suspended 80-125mm on the fly! I am amazed !