Fox Shox F80 X 2004 Front Shocks

• 80mm Travel
  • FOX patented TerraLogic technology distinguishes between rider induced forces from above the bike and bump induced forces from the ground. The inertia-valve then chooses between ultra-fast lock-out mode and glued-to-the-ground traction mode.

• User Reviews (24)

Kenny   Racer [Apr 21, 2007]
    Strength:

No fuss, just ride and ride

After one season the seals are now leaking from the top on both sides. This sucks and it is not so good for my disk brakes either. I have yet to repair them after a few weeks on the trails.

I like the shocks but I do not like this kind of hassle. For the cost this should not happen. I have never had cheap shocks that leaked!

Bill   Cross Country Rider [Apr 03, 2004]
    Strength:

Stiff, smooth, attractive. This fork allows you to stand up and hammer without having to fumble with a lockout. Soaks up bumps when needed and corners like it is on rails. There is no comparison. This fork sets the standard. Only 6 oz heavier that my Sid with remote lockout. Riding the bike I didn't notice the weight difference but I could tell a hugh difference in the performance.

None! Buy it!

I am an amature cross country racer and I find that having to take the xtra time to lockout a fork and "remember" to unlock the fork takes time and is a distraction. I love the fact that I can concentrate on the trail and passing that next person without having to fumble with something else over and over again during the course of the race.
    This fork is pricey but all the other top of the line forks are too. I love my Fox Fork!

Similar Products Used: Sid Team with remote lockout. Sid race, Marzocchi Marathon 100, Physlo race, Physlo Sl,.
    Billy   [Dec 27, 2003]
    Strength:

Super plush for 80mm of travel. Inertia valve works great. Top quality construction. Nice and stiff so it holds a line is rough stuff. Not a RockShox

None so far.

I have had Rockshox SID's forever. I put up with all the issues with those forks (hit or miss dampening, very flexy, loose bushings, etc.) because I wanted the light weight of the SID. I finally gave in and took the SID World Cup off and put on the F80X. Man what a fork! I don't notice the extra weight at all. In fact, this fork makes me faster because of the inertia valve, the super plush ride and the fact I can hold a line better now in super rocky sections because this tracks so much better then my old SID.

Similar Products Used: RockShox SID's
    Andre Perroud   Weekend Warrior [Jan 24, 2004]
    Strength:

I do not know. Could not test it. Just had it 20 minutes.

The very first day, after half a miles (from the shop to my house), there was not any more air in the fork. I am not a specialist. Do not know what's wrong.

I just decided to take good quality components for my first HardTail. Very disappointed, but I do not know whom to blame : Fox for producing poor quality components ? BMC (the bike manufacturer) for their poor quality control, the guy at the shop who had not a real idea was TerraLogic was, or finaly myself for thinking that by paying a good price you get a good fork. :(
    I welcome any information about similar experiences or an explanation on what happened.
    I will post another review when anything new.

Similar Products Used: None.
    Paul Gerber   Cross Country Rider [Oct 12, 2006]
    Strength:

Soak up every bump in the way and locks out when it needs to. No cheap plastic used anywhere

The paint is not fantastic and seems to rub off pretty easily, but thats it

Having moved from a pair of RST Gilla's on my specialized to my merida with the F80x the difference is insane. I have tried a lot of other expensive forks but these are just awesome. You never have to worry about lockout again and it is almost scary when you are sprinting and the fork is fully locked and then you hit a bump and it just soaks it up. Fully recommended for xc, would look to go to the F100x for heavier stuff though.

Similar Products Used: NONE.
    B SPEE   Cross Country Rider [Dec 22, 2003]
    Strength:

Stiffer than the SID, auto lockout, looks, feel-it works!!

tinny bit of noise when shock activates- but it doesnt matter at all

This is the future of forks, the fact that you can crank on the straight aways and not have to reach down to lock the fork out makes it worth every penny (and its a lot of pennies!). I would always forget to unlock my SID and pay for it on the downhill. Its amazing how it reacts to even the smallest hits- of course you can set the valve to have the fork react to different size hits- thats awsome-It is about 1/2 pound heavier than SID but I think thats so much better than always washing out. its like that day when first used a TV remote control and just sat on the couch and said....sweeeeet

Similar Products Used: All SIDS
    Mike Simmons   Cross Country Rider [Jan 08, 2004]

Works as advertised. Stiff, locked out when smooth, plush when rough. What else could you ask for? Could be lighter, could be less expensive. In my opinion the pros outweigh the cons. No regrets, worth every penny.

john p   Cross Country Rider [Aug 20, 2005]
    Strength:

tracking - stiff, very little flex. Lock out valve when working. customer service has been good - but I hope they have a new design for the parts they are replacing.

seals, sub assembly - I have two of the 80x and cannot get the seals to last more than 5 rides or 100 miles...Just killed another set of seals(5 sets in 7 months) right after the 24hr race at hurley creek. There were 3 other racers at the mavic booth with issues of their forks leaking there as well(mavic was offering free tech support for all bike racers). Worst part, I only rode it for two laps and switched bikes...

Now – I have already sent my two forks in for warranty 2x each, and the first one is almost ready to go in again. But are there any part updates? Should I send it in again only to get the same parts put back in and have it last 2-3 rides?

My diagnosis:
    it seems like they used the same seals on this fork as they do for all the other forks. And when the terralogic is engages its putting more pressure on the seals and causing them to leak within a few good rides for me. And I only weight 165 and I always keep good air pressure in the shox. At this point, I'm considering just letting the oil run out on the next leak until the new 2006 forks come out. On paper, this fork is the best out there and the customer service has been great, but I’d really like to not know my repair man for a front fork.