Fox Shox F80 RLT 2004 Front Shocks

F80 RLT

• 80mm Travel
  • Specially designed and purpose-built internal and chassis parts make the F80RLT the ultimate XC race fork.
  • FOX exclusive PSC chassis provides unparalleled steering precision and industry leading torsional rigidity.
  • Patented, High-flow, open-bath damper with SDC (Shimmed Damping Control) and exclusive 3-Way top-cap adjusters for on-the-fly convenience.

• User Reviews (22)

AsianPersuasion   Weekend Warrior [Jun 11, 2009]
    Strength:

Solid, strong, reliable, Fox quality

None really, except she's not the lightest girl at the dance...

This was an "upgrade" from a Rock Shox SID WC on my weight weenie xc rig. Don't get me wrong, I loved my SID which was gorgeous and functioned flawlessly. Putting the Fox on actually added some weight to my bike. The upgrade was an improvement in stability and strength.
    Through the years, I have gained more weight and gone onto more challenging terrain. Although the SID was a great xc fork, in rougher terrain, it did tend to flex a little under my weight and also in my tendency to take the occassional drop. The carbon crown also had me a little tenative although I've never heard of any kind of catarophic failures. I guess if I can trust a carbon bar and seatpost, I should be more at ease. But anyway, I moved to the Fox...
    The F80 rides quite similar to the SID. A hair more plush but definately no Vanilla. I still wanted to stay light as possible which is why I passed on the Vanilla. The stiffness is not evident on smoother singletracks and fire roads, but very noticeable on rockier, rootier terrain. Once dialed in, you pretty much forget it. The response is sharp but not jarring. On a short travel full suspension rig, it just feels right. Tune the rebound, pump up to proper pressure and ride. Climbing in full open has some bob but that's why there's the lockout. The switch does not turn it into a full rigid but it does help on those uphills that seem like it last forever. Down the fun side, I miss the convenience of the SID's PopLock
    This fork, despite the added stiffness, is by no means an all mtn/freeride/downhill. I have lived through the occassional jump and/or accidental drops but gotta be smart about self-preservation. Weighing 200+ lbs did not bottom out this fork on a 3+ foot landing nor did it feel squirrelly. I was quite relieved and impressed. Remember its limits and you'll stay out of an ER.
    What impressed me the most was how well it held all the pressure inside. Never lost pressure through the cold winter which we do not ride every week. I can honestly say the fork has not even had to go in for tune up and it's been ridden over 5 years. It is probably time but why fix what's not broken? It still rides was well as my friends 1 year old!
    Definately a solid purchase in every way.

Similar Products Used: Rock Shox Judy, SID SL, SID World Cup
    Theo   Weekend Warrior [Oct 25, 2005]
    Strength:

There doesn't seem to be a F100RLT to review for, so I'll post mine here...

Stiff, strong, plush and looks great.

Clamping the wheel skewers down doesn't leave me having to realign the disc brake pads like I used to have to do on the SID. A bike's meant to be ridden, not to have to realign things here and there everytime right?

Confidence inspiring due to its stiffness, much much more than the noodly SID which had to be eased over stuff. With the Fox, one can just ride through stuff with less caution.

Hmmm....to most, it may be the price that'll cause an initial shock, but the fork pays off on its own. If I want to be nit-picky, I'd say the weak point is the paint? Comes off a bit too easily for my liking. Had to scour hobby shops for a mix of aluminium and silver/metallic grey paint to get a match to touch up the fork.

Expensive (but well worth it), plush, stiff and strong. So far no problems with the seals or any leakage whatsoever. I suppose storing the fork (and bike) upside down helps. Well, I think other reviewers have said almost anything that can be said!

If you've the cash, this is the XC fork for you. Even if you don't have enough at the moment, save up a bit more for this, its well worth it!

Similar Products Used: Rock Shox Judy TT, RST461DH, Rock Shox SID Race
    Eric P.   Cross Country Rider [Nov 01, 2006]
    Strength:

No-touch maintenance. Just spray the mud off of it every now and then, you can pretty much forget about it once it is set up correctly.

Makes everything else seem like junk.

Ok, I'm no cross country racer. I'm hard on gear. I'm pushing 200 lbs most of the time and I don't ride with finesse, I hammer. This fork has put up with nearly everything I've thrown at it. Nearly everything.. One ride at a pretty steep, rutty, rooted downhill section toasted the oil seal in the right leg. Really, I probobly taxed it beyond it's usefull service range. Everyone else riding that section had 120+ forks. So I guess I can't really blame the fork. At least it hasn't completely died yet. But it definately needs a re-build now.

Similar Products Used: Marzzochi coil 80 mm
    Brent   Cross Country Rider [Mar 16, 2004]
    Strength:

Stiff, accurate weight, finish, adjustability

NONE

This fork is awesome. At nearly 200lbs, I find it it tracks extremely well. The F80RLt is plush, yet doesn't feel soft when climbing out of the saddle when the fork is unlocked, like my Duke Race did. I do notice the clunking sound (like a loose headset) every now and then but it lets me know that this beauty is working. With all the adjustability, you can really dial this thing in to your liking. Buy this fork.

Similar Products Used: RS Sid, Duke Race, Zoke Z1
    scott   Racer [Mar 23, 2004]
    Strength:

One of the prior reviews says "revelation" He's spot on. My SID Race started falling apart and req'd $260 to fix. I'm so happy that piece of crud died, because I never would have experienced this Fox gem. I was absolutely amazed on my first ride - the most impactful change I've ever made to my ride. Here in So Fla, our trails are littered with roots and rocks - this fork smooths it out to the point of feeling as if you're riding on smooth terrain. Its responsive, quick, smooth, plush, adjustable, and a piece of art - the fit and finish are top quality.

Zippo

Buy one - the RLT is the lightest among the Fox series - around 3.3 lbs. The weight difference is a non-issue compared to the SID when you consider the improvements in ride and handling.

Similar Products Used: Sid, Psylo, Cannondale OEM shocks
    Adam   Cross Country Rider [Apr 18, 2004]
    Strength:

Soaks up the bumps, stiff giving true tracking, totally adjustable to any preference. Really added to my confidence riding the bike. Looks damn cool.

It would be nice if cheaper.

This is a great shock. The difference between the Judys and the RLT was like night and day- no doubt similar to going from rigid to suspension. My level of riding also increased, due to the huge confidence jump I got from using these shocks. Do I regret spending an almost equal amount of money on the shocks as I actually spent on buying the bike(!)? Not at all. This and the raceface bashring are probably the two things which have made the biggest difference in my riding.

Similar Products Used: JudyTTs
    Boyd   Racer [Feb 05, 2004]
    Strength:

stiff, plush

Oh dear. What a revelation. I always put a $350.00 ceiling on any new fork and when I found this one used I pounced on it. The previous owner used it a couple times and then switched to 100mm. Knowing what I know now I would pay retail with no regrets. The bike tracks through corners so much better now and I just don't feel bumps anymore.

Similar Products Used: SId Team, XC. Judy SL. Marzocchi Z1. Manitou 5.
    Chris   Racer [Feb 02, 2004]
    Strength:

easy to set up, steers great, really strong, improves ride of bike. This is a great XC race fork.

absolutely none

I bought the fork because my friends were raving about the performance. I read the instruction about how to set it up, bolted it on the bike and raced it the following weekend. It is the bomb, I didn't even change the settings after the initial set-up. I'm sold on this fork. The weight is accurate at 3.3 lbs. I don't care if it is heavier than a SID, because it rides like a coil/oil fork.

Similar Products Used: Marzocchi
    Joe   Cross Country Rider [Feb 04, 2004]
    Strength:

It really works well, it's well made, it's stiff and it looks good.

It may be a little expensive, but check the price of other top quality products.

I like the fork mainly because I don't have to compensate of over/under steer when hitting a bump. It is one of those forks that you install and forget. You don't notice anything going on up front because the fork is handling everything. All I have to do is ride, the fork handles things up front. It does make a little noise sometimes under compression, but that's just telling me that everything is working inside. No leaks, no readjustments, just riding.

I'm not as concerned about the slight extra weight of this fork. I don't race as much as I used to. I don't even think it would matter if I was racing, it's just so good that I would not want to go back to a flexible fork.

Similar Products Used: SID SL
    Ben   Cross Country Rider [Aug 06, 2005]
    Strength:

IT's bloody stiff and feels damn nice going downhills. You should get this if u plan to just dive down hills after going up long steepss!Controls damn GOOD downwards.

The shop sold me a #$@@# fork which i only used for 3 days,then i had to send it back to the dealer and wait for another week cuz the lower legs were shaking! What kinda fox did FOX MADE?no quality check or something? they should BUCK UP on that! it's not encouraging to the product if this happens often.

It's a very stiff fork, handles well, absorbs like POGO STIK! but when u buy it for 3 days and have to send it back to the factory to have something replace it, its dissapointing. Especially when u've got weeks of holidays just spent waiting to get it BACK and HOpe that nothing goes wrong when it comes back.
    If the problems dint arise. i'd prob give it 5 chillis but since i had to send it back. i'll gif it a 3.
    You should buy it If u're focused on cross country and prefer plush forks where these pair are very plush but just bear in mind check them when they're new u never know wat happens. But thanks to their services i'll be getting my lower legs replaced cuz it was only 3 days and i havent even take it to the limite yet..

Similar Products Used: SID XC. these pair of forks hasn't got a reboucn after 5 years with no spare parts,think about buying a rockshox if u're willing to fork out money to buy a new fork every year cuz they have no replacement parts.They GO exTINCT.