MTB Tandems SC-9 2003 Tandem

MTB Tandems SC-9 2003 Tandem

• Marzocchi DJ II suspension fork with air assist. 20mm front hub/axle for increased rigidity.
  • Magura Julie Tandem hydraulic disc brakes for consistent and powerful stopping.
  • Hand-built White Industries/Sun Mammoth wheelset for durability.
  • SRAM 7.0 shifters & rear derailleur.
  • Tamer Honest Abe Suspension stoker seatpost.
  • Created to order.

• USER REVIEWS

[Oct 18, 2003]
    Tim Rangitsch

Strength:

Only complete tandem available that is ready for real single track riding right out of the box.

Could use a frame one size larger than available stock. Decals/graphics, but that's not much of a complaint. Tamer post is not a real 'performance' post.

A tandem built by and for folks who really do ride off road on tandems, and believe me it can be done. Geared correctly for off road use, low. Other makers put huge rings on their 'off road' tandems, intending dirt road or paved path riding only. Excellent braking from tandem rated Magura disc brakes. A tandem specific version of the Marzocchi DJ handles double duty with aplomb. Wheels have proven to be very failsafe. You can't do better at $1,000 more from other makers. Investigate the Fandango line at www.mtbtandems.com

I hate to sound cliche, but you can't beat this tandem. For $2k you get a hardtail tandem that you and your significant other can enjoy many miles of singletrack adventure. Remember, a tandem is a 'relationship accelorator'. No matter which direction your relationship is heading, a tandem will get it there quicker.

Burley Rock and Roll, Cannondale MT2000

OVERALL
    [Apr 08, 2003]
    mike

Strength:

Quality frame and components at an exceptional price

Its not full suspension but it also doesent cost $4000+ and a divorce.

My son and I had done quite a bit of road / mild trail riding on the Univega but we wanted somting that was more suitable for rougher trail riding as the Univega had no suspension other than the flexiness of the frame and the geometry was really suited more for road than offroad. The main problem (at least for a cheapskate like myself) was the price of dirt worthy tandems. I looked for a month or so and was having trouble finding anything that would suit us for less than $2200 and that was for used bikes. Fortunatly I stumbled across the MTBTANDEMS web site. I gave Alex a call and we talked for quite a while about the type of bike I was looking for. He told me that I might find a used bike at a lower price if I was patient and in fact sugested a couple of suitable manufactuers and models. He then informed me that he had placed an order with Kinesis to build him a batch of MTB Tandem designed frames and was hoping to have them before Christmas. Well to make a long story longer he ended up puting together a very nicely speced out bike for a great price. We received our bike a little over a month ago and with the goofy spring weather only have about 60 miles on it(road/offroad). Although were still in the middle of the offroad learning curve we are having a blast. On the road it feels alot like the Univega but offroad there is a BIG differance. Very stable at speed, the frame is exceptionaly flex free and suprisingly we are getting through and around things that I didnt think we would be able to (although at a slower speed than a single). If you are considering an offroad tandem I would recommend you give Alex a call. He's frendly, very knollegable and willing to tweak the specs to give you what you want. Also check out the specifications on other brands of tandems and compare, it seemed to me that you really get alot of bang for the buck with any of the models offered by MTB Tandems. As we put in more miles I'll try and post more ride specific information.

Univega "Tandemtour" though not really in the same league as the SC9