Cannondale MT2000 2003 Tandem

MT2000

Chris Kushman   Cross Country Rider [Jan 22, 2004]
Strength:

Great frame loaded with great components.

It's made by Cannondale. Cannondale is the worst bike compnay I've dealt with. Problems encountered with my brand new never ridden MT2000: delays, told no fork available after waiting a month, misinformation, different parts on bike than specified, front and rear Magura brakes didn't match (model years 2000 & 2003), rear wheel out of dish - spokes on drive side too short to adjust had to relace, bottom brackets too long preventing the bike from shifting (bike came with 118mm bottom brackets instead of 109mm), XT rear derailleur instead of specified XTR, hydraulic brake lines too short (very severe bends), Cannondale wouldn't respond to e-mails or telephone calls.

You be the judge based on above statement. Doesn't matter how innovative Cannondale is in the future they lost a high-end bike customer.

Similar Products Used: First tandem.
ted   Cross Country Rider [Apr 22, 2003]
Strength:

rigid, comfortable, fast, fun...

Rear disk brake tabs should be on the chainstay rather than the seatstay. This would cause brakeforce to seat, rather than un-seat rear wheel. With two people the force is significant. If you get a frame with tabs on the seatstay make sure your skewer is as tight as you can get it!
Also, I had to run 6" disk on the back to keep the caliper from blocking the yakima trailer mount.

This brake tab thing causes me to lower my rating from 5 to 4.

ted   Cross Country Rider [Jan 24, 2003]
Strength:

Actually, just bought frame and built bike around it. Great fit n finish, aluminum (no rust worries), really love it!

Expensive way to go, better to buy the full bike then change to road cranks if you find yourself spinning out.

Awesome road and trail bike - don't notice the yakima trailer on back, disk brakes are broken in and give great sense of security - no smokin rims! Now I can ride with my girlfriend without constantly looping back, we both get a great exercise, I'm not bored and she's not passing out! We each ride at our own pace and stay together! It's very fast, having the trailer is a sweet bonus.
If you aren't a serious mountain or road rider, and don't think you'll be using it hard, save some dough and get the mt800. It has disk tabs so can be upgraded if you start riding more. I prefer biting the bullet up front cause a year later I don't miss the money, but I miss the goodies every time I ride if I don't get 'em.