Trek Elite 9.8 2003 Hardtail

Trek Elite 9.8 2003 Hardtail

[Jul 13, 2003]
John

Strength:

It looks very good and looks very fast

breaks way too easy, no quality control on the frame, I had to put 2 adapters on and add alot of weight to put my disk brakes on their "universal disk brake mounts" that no brakes fit on

trek is the wort company ive ever delt with and doenst know how to build a frame! i started with a 9.9 and the frame broke a week and half later when i was in the mountians now i have boken frames before but this was the first one i couldnt ride out and i had to walk 5 miles back trek then replaced it, 2 months later, with a 9.8 but i had no choice cuz i had a race the following weekend so i then had to drive all over the county to find the 2 adapters i needed for my hays brakes and then the bb wasnt faced which meens that the e-type front derailer on it wont work right and my shop didnt have the $1000 facing tool cuz the quality bikes they sell come prefaced so i then had to drive 2 hours away to a shop that had one that said they had never taken so much metel off a frame before to get it faced so its finaly together and trek wont replace it with the 9.9 since i already rode it and im selling it so i dont have to worry about it braking and not geting another one and im gonna get a 04 cannondale f4000 its lighter neways
worst bike ever had! and by far the worst company ive ever had to deal with!!!

specilized sworks fs
cannondale jekyll 4000 sl

[Aug 22, 2003]
Doug Helling

Strength:

Power transfer, stiffness, weight.

It is a little dicey on soft sand, I get thrown around a little more than my previous heavier bike. Pricey, but worth it. It could use more XTR considering the price. I'm positive that the Trek factory is experiencing a substantial profit margin on these.

I am not a hard core racer like many of the other reviews. I just like to go out and have fun. If you are thinking about a bike and have the budget, this is your bike. It climbs like a billygoat and is a lot faster than my old bike with the same amount of effort. I never new what they meant about power transfer until I purchased this bike. When I push it goes and it goes fast. That is why I can easily get it up hills that my old bike made me struggle on. This bike rocks and it has a great warrantee to back it. It is a little pricey for all XT with one XTR component.

[Jun 21, 2003]
mike tucjer

Strength:

lightweight to the maximus, super stiff frame.great for climbing and decending

that stock tires, threw some michelin wild grippers on and was ready to go. the stickers started to peel after about 2 months. not a big deal

Great bike. The best hardtail ever? I'd have to say so. superlight and stiff, I'd say a must for any serious racer. I took a gamble getting it off ebay but i would easily have payed twice for this bike

non have come close

[Jun 12, 2003]
Dave T

Strength:

Lifetime Warranty, Made in the U.S, Light, Stiff, Stong, Somewhat vertically compliant.

As a complete bike - Bontrager components.
As a frameset - ZERO.

Nicest Hardtail I've ever ridden. It's hard to explain how this bike can be so stiff when climbing and supple enough to really smoke technical-downhill sections, unbelievable is probably the best description.
This is the ONLY hardtail to have in my humble opinion.

Gary Fisher Carbon & Al. hardtails and a Fisher 29er.

[Jun 10, 2003]
Jordan Pryce Lewis

Strength:

Brilliant ride!!You just don't get better!She wants to fly downhill and climbs like a mountain goat!Have never enjoyed my riding as much as I am enjoying it now.You will not regret buying this bike if you are a hardtail fan like me.Light as anything and strong as an ox.My riding has improved vastly, the hills that i was struggling with before now seem to be a breeze.Have never down the downhills as fast as i am doing them now.Like I have said if you are a hardtail fan you will love this bike.

None as yet.Maybe replace the chainset as Bontrager chainsets don't seem to be the strongest in the world.Looking to replace with a XT chainset.

BUY IT!!You won't regret it ever!the complete bikefor the hardtail fan.

Prevoius bike was a Trek 6700

[Jun 07, 2003]
Kim

Strength:

Everything. Overwhelming Performance.
Power Transfer, Climb Pose, Shock Absorb.. etc

Bontrager Components isn't so good as bike.
Except bontrager? There is no weakness.

I have only one single word to say. JUST RIDE IT!
I guarantee that 9.8 will not make you be discouraged.

This is truly best bike around 2500$. even over 3000$.

Specialized S-Works M5, Litespeed Tanasi

[May 23, 2003]
Ben Bradshaw

Strength:

This bike is awesome! The power transfer is unbelievable, the frame weight unfathomable and on sketchy downhills the carbon takes the edge off those sharp bumps. This bike's frame sucks up the trail as well or even some cases better than ti and I think the power transfer is better than ti. Even better, its only half the price of a comparable litespeed!.

The paintjob comes ofv the carbon in the slightest of crashes and carbon can break if not torqued right. . .

If you want the feel of titanium an dthe power transfer of aluminum along with a strong component list for the retail of $2500 this is a serious option. If you think the carbon is going to give you the same feel as a FS rig, forget about it, its not happening. The carbon just takes the edge off square edge bumps and gives the bike a great dampening quality which keeps you in the seat through the rough, its not going to give you anything more than that. . . but if your racing, what more do you need?

Aluminum hartails, Titanium hardtails. . . . .

[Dec 04, 2003]
endodepa

Strength:

Very light and resposive frame. Climbs like a animal

My frame has major cracks around the bottom bracket sleeve. Other cracks at the carbon joints but Trek says they are common. That is no big deal.

I am rating my 2000 9.8 on the newer bike section just so other can know that the frame is very strong but can have problems. I took my frame into the local dealer just yesterday. I have had to deal with Trek's warranty department a couple of times. My frame came cracked brand new out of the box. I had to wait 3 months to get it back. Instead of them just sending a new frame they fix the old one and sent it back. I hope that there warranty department has gotten better and will take care of this problem. I have read several post that claim that Trek is very bad at handling warrany issues. That was my experience the first time we will see what they do this time. I hope they will take care of because there are way too many good bike companies out there to be errogant and not stand behind you "lifetime warranty". We will see. I will post later once I find out how Trek treats this problem. But for now it will get a low rating only because of the warranty problems from the past.

Trek 8500, Marin Bear Valley

[Jan 20, 2004]
Jeremey Rodriguez

Strength:

Light, stiff, soaks up all the hits,and climbs like a goat.

I don't understand?

I raced the 2002 9.8 frame for 2 seasons problem free and then found a crack in the seat stay last december. Turned it into the shop and had a new 2004 frame in five days. Pretty good customer service from my shop manager and from Trek. The new frame rides as well as the old and I expect to get a bunch more seasons out of this one. If you want a hardtail that soaks up hits like a softtail this is the frame to get. plus after replacing most of the stock parts you can come up with a pretty light racing bike.

Fisher

[Nov 10, 2002]
Paul Bickford

Strength:

FAST, light, smooth ride STIFF, components

i got this bike cheap because of a tiny glitch in the frame. lucky me. u will love this bike. sit on a climb and its smooth riding to the top. a little sketchy for me going downhill, thats the tires, not the bike-i'll take the speed for the loss of traction. i'm not that great a racer, but the second i got this bike i was pulling 5 minutes easy ahead on race times (10 mile course). thank you trek

big sur