Trek 8500 2003 Hardtail

Trek 8500 2003 Hardtail

[Jun 26, 2003]
Brett Houser

Strength:

This bike is strong and light weight. Im 6'3" 247 and it keeps on rolling along. This is the best hard tail I've ever owned. A great climber.

To be truthful, I can't think of any. I'm going on my 9th month using this bike and no problems.

I ride at least 3 time a week and pound the trails.You can't beat the high quality of Trek. This is a magnificent bicycle and my first trek product and I will continue to purchase Trek products in the future. This is a great bike for someone looking for a fast, durable, and light weight hardtail.

raliegh, gt, specialized, and soon to be, Santa Cruz.

[Jun 18, 2003]
Adam

Strength:

Awesome custom build by Mark and the guys at Touring Cyclist. Trek's new ZR 9000 frame is lightweight (lighter than the previous edition, I believe) and super rigid. The 2003 has some sweet geometry . I'm a bigger guy (6'5") and the longer top tube is very comfortable.

Too bad Trek ommitted cable routers for a disc brake set up. I also needed a bracket for my discs. The bracket is probably the heaviest part on my bike!

Excellent bike! Tight, fast and very responsive. Can't go wrong with this bike.

Older Treks, Konas, Specialized

[Jun 11, 2003]
Andrew Vera

Strength:

Well built, strong while light, balanced, excellent value

Sizing perhaps, as I could have used a 16.5" frame instead of the 17.5", otherwise, no complaints

This is my first custom bike that I had built from from scratch. I relied on the reviews from everyone in this site for the various parts. I think I built a superb bike for my purpose and at a great value that should last a long time.

Fuji with LX stuff

[Jun 06, 2003]
Mike P

Strength:

Very Light, Strong, beffy welds, what else do you need?

They removed the shim in the seat stay which made for a nice universal 27.2 in seat post. It is now 31.6. Had to scrap my RaceFace post to buy a new one:( I don't know if than's a weeknes, but it was dissapointing.
Had one case of chain suck which scaped away the paint in the same area where I cracked the last frame. No worries, just needed a touch up and a lizard skin.

Got the 8500 frame back in 09/02, after I cracked the frame of my 98' 7000. Used what parts I could, from the 7000 and then bought the remainder of an XT package from JensonUSA. Great deal once I got it all together. Very light and stong with the parts I've got on it. It could be insanely light if I really wanted to spend the money on XTR and what not.

Trek 7000/8000 1998.

[May 29, 2003]
Codey May

Strength:

Frame geometry feels great, frame is very light, and climbs like nothing else ive ridden.

The paint is chipping all over the frame, came stock fulled with Bontrager components that weigh so much more than their claimed weight

Its a great bike once you get it lightened up from all the heavy bontrager components. Except for the paint chipping, this has been a great bike, and a pleasure to ride. Riders who race XC or just want a fast hardtail for smooth singletrack should definitly buy this bike as its well worth the money. I traded the fox for the sid straight up, as everyone wants the Fox forx's now. IF you are into freeriding, this is defintly not the bike for you. You will trash the frame. ALL in all an excellent bike

Trek 8000, Trek 9.8 Fuel 100, Fuel 98, Rocky Mountain Oxygen Race, Gary Fisher Supercaliber, Trek 7000,

[Nov 18, 2003]
Dave

Strength:

This is the 2004 Trek 8500.
2004 Trek 8500. Yep, it's already 2004 already.
Components to Price Ratio.
Mucho bangs for the bucks.
Clean monochrome color scheme.

The Trek Catalog specs the 2004 XT integrated crankset/bottom bracket. When I went to pick it up, it had a Bontrager Crankset. When I pointed this out, my bike shop agreed to switch in the XT Crank/Bottom Bracket.

I finally retired my beat up and fractured 7000. In contemplation of doing the warranty exchange/upgrade on my cracked 7000 frame, I had been doing some research on the Treks. I ended up just buying a complete 2004 Trek 8500 outright.

The 8500 is SWEET. It has complete 2004 XT, including the dual-control shifting and the two-piece crank/bottom bracket (after the switch out for the ST Crankset). Bontrager Race Disc tubeless wheels, XT disc brakes and Fox 80RL fork. The Fox fork is unbelievable. It is an entirely different experience than riding my 7000 with its comparatively stiff and sticky Manitou carbon air fork (an after market add on). The Fox fork eases smoothly into the bumps and drops and just rolls out and over everything. Going up and over rocky trails that used to knock me around was smooth and stable cruising. The 8500 is also crisp on acceleration and sweet on climbing. It weighs between 25 and 25.5 pounds. Considering the Fox fork and the disc brakes, that's A-OK. It is a great trail bike set up. Ahhhhh, new bike. And I like the whole STI rapidrise shifting thing--and disc brakes rule.

At $1,550 (after discount from the shop) the 8500 was too sweet a deal to pass up. (So what if I don't pay any of my bills until the new year.) It is amazing. I paid a grand for my 7000 4 years ago (with a bunch of LX and off the shelf Bontrager components). Today, for a mere $550 more than I paid for the 7000, I get a much better frame, tubeless race wheels, disc brakes, full 2004 XT group, and top notch Fox fork. I think Trek must have Santa on staff.

Rode a Trek 7000 for 4 years

[Dec 16, 2003]
margo

Strength:

everything all the 04 xt components and the fox float rl its great at climbing and even better at going downyhill. This bike climbs like a billy goat. anyone who is looking for a light racing hardtail should get the 04 8500

it came with an bontrager race crank instead of an xt one

this is the best bike i have ever had the privlige of owning. Its great for everything you could throw at it. the zr9000 aluminum alloy is light. though i suppose the bike might be a bit much for beginners

nothing compares

[Apr 16, 2004]
drew

worried about rolf dolomite wheelset, no actaul problems yet though

I'm haven't raced yet, getting into racing, doing some dualthalons and some xterra races. In the mean time, i do ride this bike daily, and hard. I usually ride a 20" BMX in the city, but its waiting on a wheel replacement after a bad crash wasted my front rim. This bike has stood up to everything I've done to it so far, jumping, bunny hopping, ledges etc. a little wobbly at real low speeds, but track stand wonderfully at lights. also, this bike can fly!!!! I'd recomend it for people.

[Mar 24, 2004]
47mphman

Strength:

Bike is beautifully light and responsive and comes ready to seriously ride. Not really looked at Fox Floats before, but factory-fitted R80's are real plush. Owned a set of Marzocchi Pro Air for 2-weeks before my old bike got nicked, but the Fox seem to be much smoother.

So far, after a foul Winter and not much riding, only downer is the cheap Cane Creek Aheadset that TREK fit as standard. Mild steel bearings cannot cope with UK climate and the bugger siezed up on me 3rd time out!! Copious quantities of 3-in-1 oil required to release it. This w/end I'm fitting a Raceface Thermo SP.

For the £1000 I paid for the bike, its brill. The factory set-up is really light and Fox forks are dead plush. The geometry of the bike means that its 2" longer than the Giant XTC SE2 I also tested. This helps overcome my fear of going over the bars on steep downhills!
Message to TREK - stop fitting crap headsets to your UK-bound bikes. If your going to keep making bikes with an rrp of £1300, don't cut corners on the not so noticeable components!

Previous bike TREK 7500. With insurance money, also looked at Giant XTC SE2 (too small) and Specialised Stumpy (no price deals at the time)

[Feb 27, 2003]
Sven

Strength:

Build quality, value for money, weight, sweet shifting, reasonable mix of components

Bontrager junk, no disk tabs on the frame

A fine fine machine that is a little spoiled by grabbing junky Bontrager cranks, BB and wheels from the parts bin. For me, getting a good fit really made the difference and where I am now is excellent. The bike hauls and climbs like a monkey. Some purchases from ebay will get the bike right on the money.

Specialized, Surly