Trek 820 2003 Hardtail

Lee Hilgendorf   Cross Country Rider [Sep 28, 2011]
Strength:

Very strong frame, gears are right for all around X country, roads and fire lanes. Hose off the mud, dry it off and your good to go

Bad fork, Hard grips, didn't like the brake pads so I changed them.

I have had the bike since 2003 new and since have changed the fork to a Dart 2, replaced the brakes and cables everything else is still good to go. Keep the derailer oiled and clean and it works great. This is a great all around bike to start out with. I have seen people go over big drop offs and not break anything. Heavy steel frame that won't break. No problems with anything else. I am 6' 2" and 210 lbs and it hauls me around just fine. I have worn out one set of tires, brake pads and peddles. Time for a new seat.

Similar Products Used: Trek navigator 300
lejcjohnson   Weekend Warrior [Jul 06, 2010]
Strength:

Is still running after more than 6 years on the trails. I bought this thing in Germany years ago and I am now in Iraq with it. This thing is great for the money.

Heavy, cheap parts. But still a Trek

For the money it is a great bike. It has been road hard and put up wet and continues to roll. Looking to rebuild it after the trip to the desert.

Tim Saverine   Weekend Warrior [Jul 01, 2003]
Strength:

Cheap, good like "entry level" bike for the money. I like the shifters. It's also good for a 2nd bike, or a junker for parts after you upgrade.

Kind of heavy. Brakes suck. Kind of slow. Chain falls off constantly after anything over a 1 ft drop(even after several attempts at a remedy for this). Problems with the shifters (although they are very good, after a small adjustment they were fine). The pedals' grip is super-bad, I had to replace them after a month, the plastic also wears down quickly. The stock grips are bad, and the seats semi-uncomfortable after a while. I've also heard that the RST 191 bottoms out a lot, but I don't weigh much so I can't relate.

When i'm riding I think "man this bike is a peice," then I think about the price, and then it's not so bad. As I was writing the "weaknesses" i kept thinking of things that I would liek better on this bike, and I realized that it's a $300 bike, and a pretty damn good one at that. I got really into biking this past year, I'm thinking of upgrading to a Sugar 4. Over all the 820, good entry-level/beginner/rec bike.

Similar Products Used: Specialized RockHopper(old)
Scott   [Jun 19, 2003]
Strength:

Very strong frame,Good Shifters,Colors,Cranks,Tires,Rims
MOST IMPORTANT IS THAT ITS A TREK

pedals not very grippy and reflectors fell of in the first week. The RST ain't too bad but need more travel.FRame is a bit heavey but can still haul ass.

ONE kick ass Bike

Similar Products Used: 410
jake   Downhiller [Jun 05, 2003]
Strength:

Fairly tough, this is still my first bike and I've never been inclined to change it. Steel means that it'll bend before it breaks. Cool for xc, not too light though, but fine for anything but jeyboy hardcore racing.

The chainstays being too narrow isn't very reassuring for anything over 4ft...

fine beginner bike obviously not great for anything more. fairly cheap though (&250)

Similar Products Used: ...
Hugo   Cross Country Rider [Feb 08, 2003]
Strength:

Very strong, durable frame, otherwise fairly standard fit for a $250 bike.

Other companies have been known to supply better componentry for less cost, but with questionable quality.

Trek's famous high quality stands up for another generation of bikes. Very strong, durable frame...I have read another review with scepticism regarding its ability on harder trails, but I can say that I've raced this bike up at state level (a question of budget, rather than ability), and the frame/fork haven't failed me on the XC circuit yet...the derailleurs are the only things that have given me real strife...a great bike for the entry level rider, and a good way to begin the Trek range.

Similar Products Used: Trek 4300, 4900, Avanti Venturas
John   Weekend Warrior [Apr 29, 2004]
Strength:

A TOUGH bike! Great for the money. Very reliable, Shifts great every time.

HEAVY, HEAVY, HEAVY. It's a steal bike. You get what you pay for. If you want strong and light, it's not cheap; if you want cheap and strong, it's not going to be light.

I have pretty muched tested this bike to the limits. I rode this bike at least 5 times a week on single track. The front suspension leaves something to be desired, but, you get what you pay for. Other than that, the bike has been great. Havn't had trouble with the anything other than a slipping seatpost. Great, strong bike! If not money, you pay for the toughness in weight. However, a heavier bike=stronger legs. Great bike to test your love of MTB.

Uche Anusionwu   Weekend Warrior [Apr 21, 2003]
Strength:

Price

Weight, seat

The bike has worked pretty well for me off road. The seat is not ideal for long rides. For the price I paid, I think I got a lot of bike.

Similar Products Used: Trek 800
Ali James   Weekend Warrior [Mar 19, 2003]
Strength:

Good Frame

Dodgy componentry
Heavy
Outmached by rival brands

This i'snt my bike but ive found thats its an ok bike for the price but its steel frame and heavy fork make it less capable that rival brands, i have a £300 Claud Butler which is seeming to be far better as the upgrades would'nt be buyable for the £100 saving.
The bike can handle light xc but anyone who rides it may complain thats its a bit too heavy. The parts are pretty standard with the nasty Altus gear which leaves it 7 speed with few upgrade possibilities due to no disk mount. A good bike for beginer riders but can go easily out of its deapth on technical singletrack.