Trek 8000 2003 Hardtail

Rafy   Racer [Mar 27, 2010]
Strength:

Light frame!

Too mixed components ranging from alevio brakes to XT rear derailler...

Great mountain bike! Had the 2000 before, sold it due to space limitations, and got another one. Trek is a great manufacturer!

Similar Products Used: Trek 8000 2000 model
kurtkola   Weekend Warrior [Dec 07, 2009]
Strength:

Stiff and super light.

Bontrager crank and Deore LX shifters. XT front and rear derailleurs. Duke shock just ok. Needed Trek adapter for rear disc.

This hardtail rocks!

Christos   Cross Country Rider [Jul 12, 2003]
Strength:

Frame, weight, geometry

Groupo, i would have liked XTR, but I can live without it. pedals M545

You'll Like it/love it. Feels great, handles great, rides great, it is great. I started racing last year and this bike is what i plan to start with this season. Get this bike if you are looking for an excellent hardtail set up fo XC racing. The bike is light and easy to grab and run for those impossable spots and will be there with you for those nearly impossable ones. I'm not to happy with the pedals yet, getting the adjustment correct was a pain in the A$$. Have fun!

Similar Products Used: Raliegh M-60(lol)
Ricardo   Cross Country Rider [Aug 21, 2003]
Strength:

This bike has made my life so much better. As soon as I got it I became a much better rider. I've purposedly waited to write a review in here: I can't comprehend why people write them after only owning a bike for as little as a week. Stuff works great on the bike, but, I especially like the 'race crank'; it is stiff and super springy; it catapults the rider with each stroke of the pedal. The bike is very light. Great blue color.

I traded off the tires before I took the bike home from my LBS.

This is a serious bike at a good price. I've read a lot of reviews in here about Bontrager components, where most reviewers seem to moan and whine. Trek uses Bonty alot, and this has suited me just fine, so far.

Similar Products Used: G. Fisher Big Sur, Giant Rainer, Specialized Stumpjumper...
Manuel   Racer [Aug 21, 2003]
Strength:

Not expensive, good climber and good descender, solid like a rock

heavy for racing, lot of chain suck because of the Bontrager crank

It's a good bike for people who wants to start racing. If you really getting into racing do, you're probably going to have to change for a 8500 or 9.8 like me. But all around, its a good bike

Similar Products Used: Devinci
jow gilinski   Cross Country Rider [Jun 22, 2003]
Strength:

sweet riding Great climber quality frame top of the line shimano components

none yet

the frame is on of the Great platform for the cross country competitor i build the bike to win competition
the thud buster make the ride even more sweet than it was before.

Similar Products Used: giant xtc trek 8000 old model
Todd   Cross Country Rider [Jun 13, 2003]
Strength:

Fast, responsive, great climber

This is a sweet ass bike, i can't beleave how fast it was all over the trail, uphill, downhill it didn't matter this thing movies. This is my first time riding Aluminum and i love it, it has a snap that you just can't get from steel. I'm a tall rider, about 6'4" and have always ridden a frame that was too small, but i got this one to fit so that means a big 21.5" frame. When i picked it up it looked large and i thought it would be bulky and not very agile, man was i wrong, that thing kicked the ass of my old bike, which i thought was really great. Bottom line if your looking for a kickass fast hardtail, go with the Trek 8000, you wont be disappointed.

Similar Products Used: 2000 Rocky Mountain Hammer
Ray   Weekend Warrior [Aug 28, 2003]
Strength:

Light weight, good color

decals of the bike easy to loose!!!!

My last bike was GT LTS1000, it's too heavy. Now i change to Trek 8000, i could more fast and she is wonderful, sometimes uphill i was not enough power but she still want to work. She force me to upgrade my riding time and don't giveup while tired to ride. In the before, everytime riding with my friends, normally I would be the last one to target location. After I ride the 8000, she bring me have improve in speed. But the trek's decals are very easy to loose, I don't know why? May be my unlucky. I hope the manufacturer can improve to fix it and if the component can be change to XT, it will be perfect and more match the price.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale F600
Aaron Ament   Racer [Aug 31, 2003]
Strength:

ZR 9000 frame is exceptionally light for a $1000 bike. Quality Shimano components.Crisp handling and due to race geometry. The price.

Shimano 515 clipless pedals are found on the Trek 6700 also. The 8000 is a higher end bike compared to the 6700, so the pedals should be upgraded too. Rear wheel had a slight wobble after a few rides. LBS mech. tightend up the bearings. Bontrager Saddle is a brick. Hopefully will soften up as it breaks in.

Awesome bike for the money. For a grand you will have a bike that is race ready. I had the mechanic weigh my bike and it came in at 23.5lbs. It climbs like a jet fighter, and corners like it's on rails. The only real drwa back that I have found so far is the Saddle, I am used to a touring saddle so it will probably take a little getting used to. If you are a beginning to intermediate racer looking for a great bike at a very reasonable price. This is it.