Trek 4900 2003 Hardtail

Gavin Turner   Weekend Warrior [Jul 15, 2011]
Strength:

Very strong frame. ergo's is great. Great gear ratio's,
can hit 28 mph or use for trails.

haven't found any

I use this bike primarily for road/street use. Have over 4K

miles on it. Great for training for the road bike i just

bought. Used it for less than 1 month on trails...wasn't

my cup of tea but it performed without problems. Great

for urban or trail riding.

nondairybubonic   Weekend Warrior [Oct 29, 2009]
Strength:

all around built tough

pedals,tires rims

bike is a tank its stood up to some hardcore riding no real problems when i upgrade im keeping this also no reason to get rid of a good bike

soot   Weekend Warrior [Sep 23, 2008]
Strength:

Frame strength is great. This bike fell off the bake of my car at 65mph. The only damage was a bent seat post.

It depends on your riding preference. I bought this bike for occasional cross country rides, some single tracks, and paved paths. This was a great bike for an all around mountain bike, but now I'm riding more extreme single tracks and reached the pinnacle of this bikes use.

This bike is a great beginner bike and I've spent the last two summers riding this bike hard and hadn't had any problems except regular wear.

If you want a good all around bike without breaking the bank. This is the bike.

Laurie Flood   Weekend Warrior [Aug 16, 2003]
Strength:

Rear shifters - Deore, brakes, value for price

Front shifter - swap to Deore before you leave the shop!

I bought it today. When I went on the test ride, I found the front shifter - Alvio - sloppy. I had them upgrade to Deore in front. I found the brakes to be very good, and I appreciate the granny gears available. It's all hills here where I live on the west slope of the Sierra, and I tend to ride gnarly chip seal roads with loose gravel that give way to dirt and back to chip seal over and over. It took a little getting used to that big top tube when I stood on the pedals going up hills. I rub against it a bit with my thighs. It was a bit heavier than the Jamis Exile, so maybe a racer would have chosen the Jamis or the Tassajara for the same price. They are all good bikes for the money! I liked the brakes on the 4900 better, and it was cheap to upgrade the front shifter - probably cheaper than upgrading the brakes on a Tassajara. I am totally pleased with my purchase.

Similar Products Used: Mid '80s Ritchey mountain bike + Demoed Jamis Exile, Giant Rainier, and Fisher Tassajara
Lenny   Weekend Warrior [Jul 14, 2003]
Strength:

Good Frame for the price. Great Value. I like the seat.

It's old so the judy tt is pretty bad. Decales fall off. Components could be better.

I just started using this on trails and is sweet. Upgrade a few components and stuff on ur bike and it will ride awesome. The frame is really good for the money. Overall its a sweet bike for the money.

Similar Products Used: Nothing really.
Lukasz   Racer [Jul 14, 2003]
Strength:

Great Frame, Shock, and components. Feels Great on trail, up or down hill.

non so far. and i hope it stays that way.

Great Bike. Ride it every day for about 1.5 - 2 hours, rain or sun. Mostly on trails.

Similar Products Used: Many other trek bikes.
Jim W   Cross Country Rider [Aug 21, 2003]
Strength:

Very solid bike. Handles great in technical trails, awesome climber!!!

Shimano Alivio Front derailer sucks. Change to Deore before you leave the shop.

Buy the Trek 4900 and upgrade to clipless pedals. Get a set of disc brakes,ditch the jones xc tires and shimano alivio front derailer and you got an awesome mountain bike. I won't buy anything but a hardtail. This one is definatly an excellent choice for anyone, new or experienced.

Similar Products Used: Specialized rockhopper comp.
Mike   Cross Country Rider [Jun 29, 2003]
Strength:

Nice solid Frame, fork (the pilot c is awsome for my weight), decent components, everything works together perfectly (no noises), the metalic red is a good color and Its fast too

none found, never had a problem with anything from trek

It's a good xc bike for the money, probably the best bang for the buck out there. Many may call it a beginner bike. but its only a beginner bike if a beginner is riding it. I haven't owned it long enough to get it on the trails but i sure it will hold its own, and then some concidering i've owned other 4000 series frames and never had a problem with them. I'm a big guy, 6'4" 215lbs i ride the 21.5" frame and i abuse the thing. I haven't been disapointed with any trek products yet and hopefully never will. This bike is not for the extremeists but more for the average xc rider like myself

Similar Products Used: Rockhopper
Jason Beattie   Weekend Warrior [Aug 23, 2003]
Strength:

the rear derailuer. frame and ride. Brakes!

The front derailuer, weight.

This is my first real MTB and I am impressed with how it rides, the RD shifts so sweet and sometimes you don't even notice that it changed, beautiful. The front derailuer though is another story, it took me three days to get it adjusted just right, I found a lot of resources on the internet though and it is flawless now. I had my first on trail wreck today, on a hill that I had no business being on, the brakes were working so good and then the balance just went away and over the bars I went and slid down the hill. I just imagined what the bike looked like and when I turned around, it was still in one piece! the front brakes needed to be re-centered and that was it, I am happy!! I'm still getting the hang of it, but this was definately the best choice I could have made for the money. Don't hesitate and don't go any lower than this! I would have given it better value rating, but I still do not understand why a bike has to cost almost 600 dollars, though I would have paid it i guess. This seems to be a great newbie bike, for me anyway.

Similar Products Used: None really.
Karlie   [Jun 27, 2003]
Strength:

Great fork, perfect for all types of riding, both on and off road! Came in a WSD which I got - so nice for those hills! Comfortable stock seat!

Only weakness is my quick release on the front tire is a little tight, but I just have to take a wrench to adjust that. Pedals are clipless adaptable, would have be nice if they at least came with some sort of cage/strap.

My first mountain bike- I wanted something that will keep me interested in the sport, but not so cheap that I will have to upgrade after the first ride. I may never change! I love this bike! And it has helped me fall in love with moutain biking! Never a sore butt from day one! No stiff shoulders from a bad shock. Having no rear suspension allows me to climb those hills with ease! Great on all the rocks and bumps, only slowing factor is my own nervousness! I got it at Sunnyside Sports, in Bend, Oregon (http://www.sunnysidesports.com/Bikes/Bikes.html) which had fantastic customer service and 363 days a year of tune ups! The bike is perfect for any woman looking to begin mountain biking and not just wanting to buy completely entry level, yet has to be wonderful for any biker who wants a good all around hardtail.