Trek 4500 2003 Hardtail

Trek 4500 2003 Hardtail

[Aug 11, 2010]
Airtejas

Strength:

Tough. I ride my 4500 very hard and I weigh 260 pounds. I have never broken any component on the bike. My rides consist primarily of 6-10 miles of fairly rough single track trails. A great bargain.

The shocks are a bit spongy now and the bike shops are telling me there is no way to firm them up.

This has been a great mtb for me and I will keep it as a spare when I upgrade to 29er later this year.

[Aug 17, 2003]
Chris

Strength:

New 2004 super light aluminium frame, rockshox judy tt suspension, shimano deore gears, solid tires

pedals, wheels, seat

It is a very good bike for the money as the frame is ver light and most of the components are of a high quality. The front suspension is good however there isnt much travel on the fork. The wheels although light dont seem to be that strong as I buckled the rear wheel 3 days after I bought the bike. This is a perfect bike for beginners and proffesionals alike although certain components may need upgrading.

barracuda overload

[Jul 11, 2003]
Tim Heins

Strength:

I have the 2004 model, upgrades include: the bike now comes with the Deore rear derailer, Bontrager Crowbar handle bars, Bontrager seat post, Judy TT Rock Shock which is gray in color matching the '04 paint scheme on the bike.
overall a solid package

bontrager seat ( ouch )
Pedels

changes for 2004 include a Shimano deore rear derailer which so far works fine and is better than the old Alivino one last year. Bontrager Jones ACX tires, again fine. Bontrager seat, which on my first ride left me with a sore backside. On my second ride after trying to adjust the seat I was left with that Tingley feeling in my private area after 5 miles, after that the seat went bye bye.
I have ridden for 8 to 10 hours at a time on my Trek Police bike on the standard Trek Saddle with no problems so for me the Bontrager saddle just was not cutting it, for others it may be ok. The Trico seat is from my old Iron Man and for me it is a perfect fit, with the new seat and pedels this bike is a dream so far.I ride mostly on hiking and horse trails or on road. For the money I can't see how you can beat it. Did I mention with the new seat and pedels I love this thing?

Trek Police bike, Iron Man Pro ( Huffy )
Giant Rincon

[Jul 01, 2003]
Jax

Strength:

Trek

after hitting a 50 foot drop onto a flat landing and going through the front forks the frame starts to buckle.

This is a awesome bike unless ure going hardcore and baking off 50 foot plus drops to flat landings and 20 foot high jumps gapping atleast 30 feet landing on a uphill tranny.

hardrock

[Jun 27, 2003]
Duane

Strength:

Bang for the buck. Technology has come a long way since I bought my last mountain bike in 96. It hard to believe what you get for the money in this one.

My basically stock 15.5 inch bike comes in just below 30 pounds with slimed tires and bottle cage.

Pedals. I upgraded before delivery to 515s. But what do you expect for $400.

The stem has a stamp on it that says: Caution: This product not for ... agressive off road riding. I think I'll be replacing that part!

Great value from a company that is known to stand behind their products.

I'm not a big fan of riser bars, especially on a geometry that places the handlebars so high to begin with. However, that is a personal preference.

Amazing the advances since 96.

96 Scott hadtail that I had for years.

[Jun 24, 2003]
Erik

Strength:

Frame, and wheels and tires, seat

Hubs, crank set, Brakes, 8 speed cass., Front and rear Der.

The bike is a Trek 4400, not sold in the states. Bottom line, nice frame and could be a great bike for entry level riders with some major upgrades. Love to ride now. Prior too, problems with the front der and chain, could never get the adjustments correct. So with about $350 worth of extra parts put on the bike it rides like a dream. Parts here in Korea are alot cheaper than the states. So with about 700 invested in the bike, I will keep it for a long time I think.

First real Mountain bike

[Aug 25, 2003]
tom wilson

Strength:

nice frame for the price range,looks awsome,bontrager crank,seatpost and handlebars jones ac tires. judys were an upper to.

alivio derailers took a while to shift up and down esspecially front. rims always seem to bend even if it is just like a 1 foot drop

this bike is probably the best bike for the 400-500$ price range. get this bike if you are just getting into mountain biking or if you need something decent for cheap.5 dookies for great value and 3 for the derailers and rims

giant yukon, spec hardrock comp

[Jun 18, 2003]
Nathan

Strength:

TREK, Handlebars, shifters, color, cranks, and frame

nothing really, pedals maybe

A great bike in my opinion for any thing you want to do!

HardRock, 4300, 4100,

[Aug 30, 2003]
Gunnar

Strength:

Light but VERY solid build, Rider position, wheels, gearing.

stock seat hurts the ass

This bike is 2000 times better than the Y26. Its solid, light and takes one hell of a bettering. I would have to say It should come with a thicker ring gear, bash guard, upgraded front shifter and improved rear hub. I plan on atleast a ring gear and crank change to something a bit stronger

Trek 800

[Aug 30, 2003]
Bill

Strength:

This bike hits the sweet spot between cost and performance.

None, considering the price.

Good bang for the buck. This bike will blow the doors off of any K-mart, Wal-Mart or Toyz-is-Uss POS. Spend the extra $250 and get the bike equivalent of a Toyota, and not a Yugo.

None, usless a eary 1980's Fuji Royale road bike qualifies.