Trek 4100 2003 Hardtail

Trek 4100 2003 Hardtail

[May 14, 2013]
jimmi dean

Strength:

This bike is a tank, incredibly durable.

Heavy, and 10 years later it's a little old and outdated.

I've owned this bike for about 10 years. Brought it home new from the store. I've replaced the obvious parts like break pads and cables. I've replaced the seat and the pedals and recently the pedal arm. This bike has held up through everything from dragging it through the woods to Porcupine Rim trail and Moab last year. I ride it on a regular basis and I don't take it easy. The fork has been missing an end cap for 4 years and it still rides great. Sure you could have a better, lighter bike with much better suspension, but ten years of heavy use for this price can not be beat.

[Jul 05, 2012]
Neal

Strength:

Strong frame

front suspension is bouncy

Owned since 2008 its been a great bike for getting around town. I don't have to worry about locking it up in the city. I like it a lot and I plan to keep it for years to come.

[May 07, 2008]
Scott L

Strength:

Good frame worthy of upgrades. The stock components were not terrible for XC either. I just killed the original deraileur in a race with several hard rock strikes. Honestly, I bent it back with pliers and it still worked pretty good! But it wasn't perfect and gave me an excuse to replace it with XT. The original wheels never gave me a problem, but I didn't do big drops either.

Most components. The original pedals were garbage. The stem and handlebars were practically wrought iron. The front fork bounced like a pogo stick up every climb.

This is a follow-up to my review from years ago.

Over the 5 years that I have had this bike I upgraded when I found the right parts on sale, and now I have a machine that I am very happy with. The only original components that I need to replace are the cranks and front deraileur, which still work like new. When they die, I will replace with lighter stuff and have a super light, super durable machine, that cost very little. And if I decide to go FS, I'll just swap my parts to the new frame, and I'm good! Thanks Trek for making a durable, affordable bike.

Junky bikes growing up.

[Jun 20, 2003]
Chris

Strength:

Strong Aluminum frame so it's lighter than the 820 and when you push down on the cranks you'll feel the bike respond. Don't let the die-hards fool you, there really is nothing wrong with the stock components on this bike assuming you are of average weight and riding ability (with the exception of the pedals, they really should be of some type of metal). It is easier to upgrade as you're riding ability gets better with components that fit your budget and your objective than it is to buy the higher end 4000 series and be essentialy "stuck" with those components. The saddle is moderately comfortable (if you sit further back on it) and once broken in the shocks have good response (obviously not for 6 foot acid drops!) and the rims and tires will get the job done. As earlier noted: The black and red frame is way cool!!!

Pedals and I wasn't crazy about the stock grips (too small and kinda hard). Other than that nada.

Great Value and quality parts. This is an entry level bike so when you review it, you take that into consideration. A much better value and deal than the Specialized "Hardrock" in my opinion. The frame is going to last as long as any new upgrades you might make.

[Aug 27, 2003]
Phil

Strength:

Frame is thee same one as they use across the range, decent components

Pedals are rubbish, grips not great

I moved from road racing, and having tried far more expensive cycles, I stuck with this - it is a great bike

only far more expensive OR cheap garbage

[Jun 13, 2003]
Frank

Strength:

Light frame, nice red colours, ez fire shifters, matching clr fork, matching clr seat. Got it on sale (no tax) so good deal for me. Feels like this bike is a head turner. Maybe because i bought the red one as opposed to the silver one... It's my first real mtn bike and I'm quite happy with the ride.

The shocks seem to be 'sticky'. It won't come back up if you press it down about an inch. You gotta pull the front of bike off the ground for the shocks to become unstuck.. Will need to ask the bike shop WTF is going on tmrw...

Good quality at that price.. I almost got the Trek 820 instead.. but that was a steel frame and would have been too heavy for me to lift over my head. I have a bike rack on my car, and i have no problems getting it up and down the car. I'm not a very strong guy either... So all the guys who think this bike is to heavy are either girls.. or just weaklings.. no one can be weaker than me!

First bike.....unless you want to count my crappy old Huffy Firemountain POS that i got from Toys r us.. I have that to my sister and she is happy with it....

[Jun 12, 2003]
Steve

Strength:

new to cycling. seemed like a lot for the money when I shopped around

pedals are barely better than nothing. seat was so-so

I rode a dime store 20 years and thought I would get on another bike but decided to try again for health reasons. I thought I got alot for the money compared to the wal-mart specials and have been pleased with it. I did not want to spend a lot of money on a bike if I didn't like riding but have had a great time riding with my wife and her new bike also. After riding it a while i have found some things that were not top notch but I am getting familier with bikes and will upgrade in another year and still keep this one for the trail that goes through my town. We ride mostly on rodes out with the deer and coyotes but ride the trail. I have been pleased with this purchase and what I got with it .You get what you pay for so there will be upgrades in both bike but was a good choice for a first bike

[Jun 04, 2003]
Paul

Strength:

Great light, durable aluminum frame. I like the EZ fire shifters as opposed to gripshift. Great value for the quality Shimano components you get. Good, quality bike for beginners (like myself) who don't want to spend a lot of $ for a bike they don't need (yet.) Nice color and I like the subtle touches like the black spokes, which make the bike look more expensive than it is.

Front InSync fork seems to be OK so far, but I am upgrading to a Judy C which has longer travel and is adjustable. The plastic pedals definitely suck...those will eventually be changed.

Great for beginners who want a quality bike for a low cost.

Old Trek Mountain Track 800.

[Jun 01, 2003]
matt

Strength:

It is a good price for a decent bike. The frame is pretty good.

The pedals are bad. The Shimano components aren't that good. The fork is a brand I have never heard of, and doesn't seem to do that much except slam down and bottom out when I do about a two and a half foot drop.

This is a good bike for anyone who just rides around town or like in a little nature park. I wouldn't recommend doing any drops over 3 or 4 feet. It's alright, but I'm getting a Jamis xlt 1.0. This is a great all around bike for someone who isn't jumping off cliffs yet.

[May 29, 2003]
Darrin Gross

Strength:

This bike takes a lot of abuse. I thinks its a great bike for the price. Even though I will be upgrading soon I'm keeping this bike as a backup (And for guests)

Pedals are plastic, InSync shocks are ok but RockShocks would be better.

Great fist mountain bike.

Department store junk.