Specialized Rockhopper 2003 Hardtail

Specialized Rockhopper 2003 Hardtail

[Jul 24, 2009]
MTB_MAN_14

Strength:

great climber and i loved the grips until they got ripped off in a crash.

V-brakes are weak

Awesome bike for the money. I wasnt into mtb when I got it so I went with the Linear pull brakes. dissappointed. good brakes when dry but they howl like mad when wet and just dont stop well. Im going to upgrade to discs. Avid BB7's or Forte mechanical. other than that, the bike is a tank. it takes 4-6 foot drops, technical trails, being submerged into 3 feet of water and nasty crashes. nothing broke yet. glad i got the rockhopper. stellar bike.

Cannondale F6, Specialized Hardrock Sport

[Jul 19, 2003]
Trekkie Dude

Strength:

most of the stock parts are good, Wheels are great

none I've found

good bike if you don't want your bike to be worth as much as your car. I've had it a little more than a year and the wheels have hardly warped at all. really good all around bike, price is awesome.

walmart bikes, but I'm not gonna talk about that.

[Jul 16, 2003]
Wayne

Strength:

Good bang for the buck. Looks good and I have a lot of confidence on this bike. Converting the Axel fork to 100mm made a world of difference. Bike "feels" right.

Front fork is a little soft, but I'm a 200lb rider so an upgrade to the firm spring should fix that. Paint chips very easily. Where can I get matching Steel Blue touch-up paint. =/

Like I mentioned before . . . great bang for the buck. Solid name and it will set the stage for a nice upgrade path. Convert the front fork to 100mm and you'll be happy. =)

[Jul 13, 2003]
Greg

Strength:

Lightweight, good component package, great frame geometry

Manitou Fork is WAY TOO SOFT!!! I weigh 210 and the fork spring requires upgrading. The fork comes with a medium weight spring for riders 140-170 pounds. I am upgrading to the firm spring this week.

This is a fantastic bike for the price. The frame geometry is perfect and the stock component package is a great entry into mountain biking. Once the parts start to fade you can hang new parts on the frame. I have put 80 miles of hard trail riding and downhilling on this bike and it soaks up everything I can throw at it. Because I have a great deal more confidence in this bike than my last one, I have been able to do my normal trails much faster. The fork is way to plush, but I am upgrading to the firm spring this week.

I am VERY happy with this bike. I plan on upgrading to clipless pedals and disc brakes next season.

I think the other guy below me on the reviews is confused about what bike he is talking about. How can you have had a 2003 bike for three years?!?!?!?!?!

Haro V1 Stock for 2 months

[Jul 12, 2003]
jon whahlas

Strength:

shocks frame deraliers durability and shifters

this bike is a piece of junk it doesn't have any performance and it is terrible at going on rocky trails

huffies

[Jul 11, 2003]
Marc Delarche

Strength:

Componants (LX rear derailleur), rims, disc ready hubs, saddle looks great (and feel so too) real tires that are 2"... reasonable weight for the price paid.

The Manitou fork has a wonderfull damping system and rebound ajustment, BUT THE SPRING IS RIDICULOULY TOO SOFT!!! And Im only 140lb, so I wonder what it would have been for a 200lb rider. For a 19" frame the spring is not adapted at all.

Buy this bike. Best value for money, look awsome, handles great on the single tracks. Lightweight.
Just have to find the right spring and it will be close to perfection...
EXCUSE MY POOR ENGLISH I M FENCH!!

Lapierre Technic Lite, components not as good and same price.

[Aug 22, 2003]
TJ Troughton

Strength:

I would have to say the components are really good for the price of the bike to get a decent frame and good components. It has disc mounts but you have to get a new wheelset. Frame is pretty sturdy and the bike shifts well. I also like the Roll X tires. They grip well.

The fork and pedals are the main weaknesses. The fork can be upgraded with a stiff spring for it or you can always purchase a better fork which is what I plan on doing. Also the pedals with toe clips didn't do it for me so I had to get the eggbeaters.

I like this bike a lot and I think for the price you can't get a better bike with such components as it has on there. Its just a great bang for the buck. This bike has taken a lot and is still working to perfection. It does what I need it to and thats what you have to look for when your buying a bike.

Couple other hardtails....

[Jun 29, 2003]
Mike

Strength:

nice stiff strong frame, decent component package

lets see... seat post lossened after about 5 mile causing the seat to slide forward (not down), fork was way to soft, somthing was vibating at higher speeds, rear quick release hub slipped, wasn't very easy pedaling compared to competitors, wasn't made in USA

it was a nice bike it probably wasn't put together properly by the shop, i usually do my own repairs but not on a bike thats 5 days old, so back to the shop it went. If i had fixed it it probably wouldn't have been that bad. The rear hub scared me, one side of it actually popped out of the frames bracket and ground the tire into the chainstay on two occasions under hard pedaling (i usually climb decent sized hills without downshifting). it was constantly making some kind of noises, and somthing on the rear wheel was vibrating at high speeds. The fork was way to soft Specialized should figure that on the 21" frame the rider will most likely be close to 200lbs, the fork was alway bottoming out when urban riding nevermind trails. It probably wouldn't have been that bad if i wasn't 6'4" 215lbs. It was a nice bike all in all, not a good $500 bike but maybe $300 range

Trek 4900 (a superior ride)

[Aug 29, 2003]
Sean Sinfield

Strength:

Light frame, cool look, tires, rims, components/cost. I am 6' 4" and the 21" frame fits my body great, with other bikes they seem too narrow.

Forks are a bit spongy (I am 170lbs). Had a rear derailer problem, its fixed.

Great bike, this is the first bike I have had in 10 years, and it is great to not have to spend more money on it than I did for my car. After doing some shopping around I found the overall package offered with this bike great, I could not go wrong! I will be upgrading the forks to have 100mm travel and stiffer springs by next year. I have had the bike for 2 weeks now and have put on over 200km, that should say it all. A good bike for all riders!

Trek 4000, Rocky Mountian Elevation

[Jun 23, 2003]
Kevin Lauscher

Strength:

Great bike with a great set of components for the price I paid. Killer frame with a killer paint job in the red/orange

The fork is a little to soft for my liking. Otherwise a hell of a bike

For the money I paid this bike is worth every penny. Can Handle anything I throw at it with no problems. A lower component package but easily upgradeable with a killer frame!

Gary Fisher Marlin