Schwinn Moab DS1 2003 Hardtail

Moab DS1

Chris   Weekend Warrior [Jul 14, 2003]
Strength:

Great bike at a great price. While all of the equipment is not necessarily the best on the market, it is VERY good, and is more than enough for the daily rider and weekend abuser (like me). Very comfortable to ride.

Not many....I would like a more product specific owners manual that includes a take-apart and other details.

Best bike I have seen for the money. Very pleased with my purchase!

mike carpinelli   Cross Country Rider [Jul 04, 2003]
Strength:

Frame is rigid, excellent suspension, hayes disc brakes are perfect. Can't be the guarantee and the price.

I have 5200 miles logged since 1994 and this is my first full suspension bike. Because I am 44 yrs. old, I like the ride position better than the others. Ride Hard and Draw Blood. Mike

James Kennedy   Weekend Warrior [Sep 01, 2003]
Strength:

The bike has great stability at speed and is predictable all around. Suspension travel is good. Climbs steeps well with a manageable front wheel float that can be guided quite well. WTB Mutano Raptor tires are really working well also.

Dump the seat and buy an SLR from Selle Italia or another good one that fits you. OEM seats are all soft and comfy around the sales lot but will kill you on longer rides. Some cable chaffe on the shock base for the front deraileur cable. Looks like a re-route job soon.

I you just can't quite "plunk-down" the big $ but still want to ride, GO FOR IT! I'm still tryin' to wipe that goofy grin off my face. Good to be back in the saddle.

Similar Products Used: Trek 80, Cannondale, Giant
Rob Adae   Weekend Warrior [Aug 30, 2003]
Strength:

Handles well
Great set of shocks (front and rear)
Comfortable to ride
Love the disk brakes

Shifting is not that smooth
A bit heavy

Purchased the bike 2 weeks ago and had to bring it back to the bike shop twice because it wasn’t shifting smooth. On my second visit they had to re-run the rear de-railer cable on the onside of the frame to prevent Ghost Shifting. So far it seems to be shifting better.
***********************************************************
Advise to buyer: Thoroughly test drive the bike before you buy and check the shifting.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale and Giant
Scott Surla   Cross Country Rider [May 21, 2003]
Strength:

This bike is very solid. The first ride I knew I was in love with the bike. The disk brakes will literally stop on a dime. They are fast and very responsive. The suspension in the front is long enough to soak up the biggest of bumps. The rear travel sometimes makes it hard to climb up a huge hill. All in all this bike rocks. If you are looking for something to get start on and have the money for it this bike has all of the advancements that you should be looking for. I just started serious Mt. Biking when I bought this bike. NOW GO OUT AND GET ONE!

This particular bike to me has a lot of squeeks in it...also the disk brakes get annoying sometimes because they rub a little now and then. It needs nothing except for some rubber where the chain slaps the frame on the bottom swingarm.

Good Bike for the money.

Similar Products Used: Trek, GT aggressor, Other Schwinn's
Bob Howes   Weekend Warrior [Dec 10, 2003]
Strength:

Very nimble nice color switched tires to yellow panaracer, very fast shifting. It handles the trails beggining and intermediate without a hitch. (don't know about expert stuff I am a little scared)It also rides great on the road. I also have a Trek Y26 (Heavy tank) and Moab DS 2 bike wins without any question in my mind.I weigh over 200lbs and at 65psi it rides awsome.

When the chain is on both small sprockets it chings a bit on the front derailer. The bike shop that I purchased the bike said that this is normal. (why is that???:( )that is the only problem I am having. The seat is so soft you might fall asleep. Not tipical in my mind.Way to much cush.

The Bottom line is that for me the $729.00 w/tire change to add yellow wich makes a great combo color with the grey. To me it was money well spent. I would recomend starting on a little better bike to get the full experiance of quality. I have not test driven any other bikes on the trails but the test rides I did take helped me with the end result. A new DS 2. Oh by the way I was riding to work about 2 miles from my house and was crossing an intersection with the green light and a car making a right turn hit me. The bike I was on Trek Y26 took most of the hit and it ended up with a ripped seat and a few paint scratches. The Trek took a punishment and still rides true and other than the seat damage and bruised ribs everthing else was unscaved.So the moral of the story is buy a brand name unlike Wal-Mart mongoose and I feel that your bike more than likely will hold up to some pretty severe punishment.Oh yea one more thing his insurance company bought the bike with lots of leftover change $$

Similar Products Used: First a Mongoose xr750 then a Trek Y 26
Sal   Weekend Warrior [Feb 21, 2004]
Strength:

Excellent components for the price paid. Deore XT, Hayes
Hydraulic Disc Brakes, WTB Murano Tires, Ritchey Headset
& handlebars, Tru-Vativ Crankset

Rock-Shocks rear shock - Loses pressure on the positive side
Manitou Axel Comp fork

Great climbing ability for a full-suspension bike. No bobbing with power strokes. Great response - Little frame
flexing. Similar in design to GT I-Drive - Same parent
company. Would suggest this bike to anyone who is serious
about mountain biking and doesn't want to spend a lot of
money. The only reason for the crankset change is because
I need 175mm cranks instead of the factory 170mm Tru-Vativ
Great customer support from RichardsBicyles.com

Similar Products Used: Schwinn Rocket 88 Stage 1 w/ Disc Brakes
James   Racer [Jan 09, 2003]
Strength:

I started racing with this bike last year. I can not believe that the frame has held up although I have went throught two new sets of wheels and had to replace a broken shock, all in that first year of racing. I have upgraded the brakes and striped it down to only the essentionals. Handles great. Very sturdy on fast decents and through technicals.

Heavy. Upgrade is too expensive. Pounds are money.

If they offered the bike I would buy a shiny new one, and then try and destroy it as I have tried with this one.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale F600, F800, Giant, and Trek.
Dan   Weekend Warrior [Jun 03, 2005]
Strength:

Good quality components for the price.

It's heavy, but that wouldn't bother me so much if it meant it was durable. Unfortunately, it seems to be anything but. I ride relatively hard XC but nothing extreme. The rear suspension linkage began to get play in it after about 10 miles of trail riding. I now have maybe 50 miles xc on it and basically every pivot point is worn to the point that the bike creaks and twists severely with every pedal stroke. The main problem is that schwinn, under the relatively new ownership of pacific(toy store bikes), saved some money by using small diameter bolts and sleeves which stretch the holes(connection points) in the aluminum frame when under stress. Extremely poor construction design to say the least.

In my opinion, this frame is complete garbage unless the only bumps you plan to hit are the occasional pothole. At least schwinn put some decent components on the bike. They'll work nicely on a different frame.

Dave   Weekend Warrior [Sep 28, 2004]
Strength:

The bike rides great and takes a LOT of abuse. I have had a couple of hard falls on it, one on huge rocks in a mountain and I was the only one in pain.

Little heavy; the derailers & shifters are not the best - I replaced mine.. and, as dumb as this sounds, the name Schwinn seems to have a rep for being a low-budge bike.. while I think this bike is not that, I have gotten some ribbing from my riding friends

I think this is the perfect start up bike for mountain biking. It will easily take you from beginner to intermediate without a problem. I am surprised that more people are not riding them semi-hardcore, as it takes a lot of abuse and keeps on ticking