Schwinn Mesa 2003 Hardtail

Schwinn Mesa 2003 Hardtail

[Aug 01, 2008]
Find Shelter Roadies

Strength:

The price, Its competitors cant touch it price or what you get. If your a Trail rider its great for xc Although I dont see the front fork taking on huge drops and massive abuse but if your riding this hard you need to invest in a high end bike. Its probably one of the best Entry level bikes availabale, Rapid fire shifter not that handle twist grip crap (specialized had this on their entry level model NO good) This bike is very upgradeable, and the frame is ready for a disc break conversion VERY NICE! For what the bike is its a light bike! You people that go complain about the bike being to heavy give me a break than why did you buy the bike in the first place That should be one of the first things you notice!!

None to current! except The original $400.00 price tag which I would have never payed, Maybe with upgarded components etc... But that is not the case.

I got this bike for a girl who just started riding, its impossible to find a womens off road bike being limited to quality and how it will handle the trails However This is the bike of choice and shes loving it!! My personal bike is a full suspension specialized and If I went back to my roots and had to choose a first bike to learn riding trails etcetc I would have choosen this hands down! The fact you can still upgrade the bike the further you progress yourself, I would change the stock tires if you plan to trail ride but other then that its really a great beginners bike THATS THE BOTTOM LINE!

N/A just lots of reading bike reviews on mtbr.com!

[Jun 20, 2008]
Equismith

Strength:

Value and dependability

Shifters. Rough tires on road surface but makes up for it on the trail. Shifters need some fine tuning.

Great for a beginner who doesn't want to lose an arm and a leg for entry into the biking world. You can't go wrong with this bike or Performance Bicycle. The bike was on sale for $259. I added toe clips.

Specialized Patrol Bike

[Jun 15, 2003]
Sigurgeir Bárðarson

Strength:

This is a very beutiful bike, and pretty light! It has good brakes and gears, and it rides very well. I think this is the best value on the market, at least in Iceland. I would recomend this for everyone!

Havent found any yet, but there must be some

Buy It! You wont get anything better for this kind of money, so i would go for it, Mabey experienced bikers should go for something better, but its very good for the average person!

Trek and mongoose

[Jun 13, 2003]
jeff martin

Strength:

Price. If your able to get it on sale by all means snatch it up. the geometry is very tight and agile. The gsx has quality craftsmanship and great performance parts. I'm about 5'7" and i love the geometry. my bike frame is 17" and the center of gravity feels really low due to the downward sloping top bar. my crotch doesn't "hover" the main bar, like some other brands. Avid disc brakes. Manitou comp six adjustable fork. IRC Mythos xc tires are excellent and grab very well in rought conditions.

i hated the stem. it was very short and had like a 10 degree lift. You ride very upright. The frame is short and i would urge taller or longer riders to look into a larger frame. I replace the stem with one from Answer that has 0 degree lift and is 120mm long. i felt much more comfortable aftewards. I not to thrilled about the shifters or derailers. they are Shimano Alivios. I think this is the cheapest of the shimano line, but they still do the job well. seat makes my "boys" go numb on long rides. And if your tall you will probably need a longer seat post. my bottom bracket makes wierd noises.

I will recommend this bike to every one. It is accomodating to different uses, (I think it was built as a cross between xc riding and trail riding) at least the set up suggests this. If you shop around you can pick this bike op for around $400-450 other wise you may spend a couple hundred more. the Manitou fork is light, solid/durable, and works. I would suggest upgrading the stem and pedals and maybe the seat immediately. If your a total weight weenie. The GSX is a little heavy and maybe not for you, but if you want a bike that is durable and rugged then go for it. I regularly ride trails, xc, street and I commute to work and have found this to be a great multipurpose bike. You absolutely cannot go wrong with this bike. it flex's very little and is very well balanced and agile.

oh yeah, i've tried full suspension bike and the ride is defiantely plush. Granted the GSX is going to be rougher, because it is a rigid frame but the ride is surprisingly smooth (perhaps it is the low geometry.

You can't go wrong. JUST REMEMBER!!!! IF YOU ARE A TALLER RIDER THAN TRY ALL THE DIFFERENT SIZED FRAMES OUT, BECAUSE THIS ONE SEEMS VERY SHORT AND VERY TIGHT.

Huffy mountain fire (ha,ha just kidding)

[Jun 01, 2007]
Sean Manley

Strength:

Great frame- it's light, stiff and ready for upgrades, SX-5 rear derailluer

J1 front fork is a bit soft and mine needed replaced already(blown seals from day one), Front SX4 shifter is junk, I don't think these are common problems though

Great value and foundation. The Gold label 'N lightend frame is worth the buy.

GT Backwoods, Trek 8000(well, not so similar)

[Apr 07, 2008]
Sierra

Strength:

Durable frame

All of the components on this bike suck. One real day of riding was sufficient to destroy most of them. This version didn't come with Hayes disc brakes.

The frame of this bike is fine. It has all the necessary braze-ons for fenders and racks and considering the up-right riding position it would probably make an okay commuter bike (short trips or "campus-biking"). It came with aggresive WTB tires that aren't suited for commuting. Unfortunately, the low-end shimano components on this bike were not suitable for real mountain biking. The drivetrain was destroyed from half a day of hard riding. I'll probably ditch the whole bike rather than upgrade. Other reviews described this as a light bike, but I'm not impressed. It handles like a tank, which is probably fine for bigger riders. I wouldn't recommend this bike. If you're looking for a commuter bike, buy a touring model. If you're looking for a mountain bike, save your pennies until you can afford something respectable.

[Oct 23, 2006]
John Honyer

Strength:

I got the cheapest version of the Mesa. The frame is freaking awesome. It is very light and strong. The gears shift almost instantly, with rapid fire shifting. The fork is decent enough given the price with fairly nice shocks. The wheels are good, pretty durable and lightweight. The pedals are toothed steel (I think) with a plastic center. They are toe clip adaptable.

The fourth gear on the cassette is a bit clicky on the downshift. I don't if this is just on mine, or all Mesas. The seat is heavy and not suitable for long distance rides, I'd get a lighter one, especially for racing.

This is the best bike I've ever owned. I'm trying to enter some MTB races next summer after a winter of training. I love this bike, I can't believe the quality for the price.

Diamondback Hardtail, Schwinn Frontier Sport X, Trel 4300

[Oct 07, 2006]
Stuart Southgate

Strength:

Great product, after looking at all the options for a new reasonably priced bike I would highly recommend the Mesa GS. Absolutely Brillent bike for the money and I cannot not fqault a single part of the bike excellent for a first bike, Light, strong and a great spec. BUY IT!!!!

All I can say is that after looking at all the options there was no choice the Mesa 2006 GS Spec. was the only bike to go for. Les Bikes at Canvey were very supportive and helpful.

Both myself and my girlfirend have this bike in 19" and 17" frame size. Both have no issues, it just great to ride this bike.

Specialize bikes and Giant. They did not come close to the Mesa GS. I would go for the GS over the basic Mesa the spec. is significantly better.

[Mar 08, 2003]
ernie

Strength:

The old Schwinn Moab hardtail alloy frame now with beefier seatpost tube and reliable heavy gussetted tubes. This frame with its Epicenter seat stay has been around for years and the reason why is that its a good hardtail frame thats stiff and pretty heavy duty. The Truvativ crank, Alex rims, RST Mag TL fork (89mm) and
one step below DEORE Shimano parts makes this an attractive buy.

The shifter/brake lever combo stinks and looks cheap.
I also loathe the skinny Mesa downhill handlebar, it weighs too much and I think its made of steel. The stem blows too, but I saved it for another bike. The handlebar MUST GO. Also lose the pedals with the early 90's shoe cage---that looks pretty cheesy. That's all folks!

This is the blue/black and silver model. 17". I got this one because the 03 GSX looks too pimped out for me with the gold and black colour. The bikes are pretty much identical with the exception of Avid mechanical brakes and disc hub wheels. Avids suck anyway, I broke the adjusting knob off of one on another bike and ended up having to walk the bike off the trail. So I re-laced the wheels with Deore disc hubs ($35 ea) and Deore disc brakes($45 ea) I really like disc brakes so I think its a good upgrade. The bike is a good all-around trail bike, even that sucky RST Mag TL is OK until you decide to destroy it. I rode up a steep and rocky road on the thing and it performed fine. Any fool who thinks a Klein, Gary Fisher or any other high-end hardtail will ride better than a Schwinn Mesa GS probably thinks Gucci underwear is better than Calvin Klein or Hanes.
But they ride the same. I'm keeping this hardtail in my garage next to its older sibling, my 1995 Moab steel hardtail.

Mesa GSX, Diamondback Topanga Comp, Specialized Rockhopper

[Feb 25, 2003]
Jason Swartz

Strength:

Good bike for the price. Good Avid Mechanical disc breaks. Can handle the the more extreme trails that you should be riding a full suspension on. I have taken it on intemidiate to extremem trails and have done fine.

Front Crankset wears too easily. Bike is still a little heavy.

The bike is a good buy. I don't reccomend it to the weekend warrior, but for someone thinking about getting into mountain biking, it would be a good place to start. It is not too pricey, and can take some abuse.

GT and Gary Fisher both have similar hard tails.