Raleigh M80 Disc 2003 Hardtail

M80 Disc

Trip Brown   Weekend Warrior [Mar 23, 2009]
Strength:

Very solid frame and has a great weight and speed (for the money) Comes with disc brakes

Judy TT forks and low quality pedals

The bike out of the box is a steal for the price. The frame is a decent weight and is very sturdy. For someone who wants to be recognized as a valued member of the community, the bike is great but it wont turn heads. The forks require an upgrade. I moved to rock shox pike 2007 and i love the extra travel and plush ride it has to offer. If you can still get a hold of one of these bikes, do!

Similar Products Used: Giant, Cannondale
Mic   Weekend Warrior [Jul 09, 2003]
Strength:

BEST VALUE in a hardtail!!! LX components. Shimano disc brakes and hubs. Judy TT shock work well and adjust easily. tough & rugged. IMHO, I liked the all-black hardware and paint over other paint jobs I saw.

Heavy. Limited availability, Be patient but persistant.

BEST VALUE in a hardtail!!! Believe me, I looked at all hartails under $1000, studied specs and rode 'em. You have to spend $750 to get the same level of components. I think Raliegh made a mistake in pricing this bike. Get one before they figure out their mistake. I could have written 'Dan from SLC,UT' review, I agree with everything he said. There will be no need to up grade components on this bike. The only upgrade will be when I'm ready to graduate to a full suspension bike. P.S. Highly Redmond Cycles if your in the Seattle area.

Similar Products Used: I researched Hardrock Disc, Iguana Disc and all other mainstream bikes in the $500-800 price range.
Dan   Weekend Warrior [Jul 02, 2003]
Strength:

Exceptional value!! If you are on a tight budget and want a killer ride the M-80 is definately a MUST buy. Excellent frame and top-notch componants.

Me ..... lol! The bike is definately tougher than anthing I can dish out!!

I did alot of research on this purchase ..... TRUST ME!! I even went so far as renting the Rockhopper and the Iguana first! What it boiled down to for me was, being a relatively new rider, I wanted an EXCELLENT entry level high-end bike. One that I could get alot of mileage out of before upgrading! I got it with the M-80 DISC!!! No other bike can even come close to the set up / price ratio! Awesome componants at an INCREDIBLY low price ...... A must buy for anyone looking to get into the sport who is looking for a GREAT value on an excellent ride!

Similar Products Used: Specialized Rockhopper (base and comp). Giant Iguana.
RPheezy Fer Sheezy   Weekend Warrior [Jun 27, 2003]
Strength:

Best dollar for dollar features. Deore LX front and back, disc brakes, shimano crankset, Alexrims DM18, velociraptor rubber, decent Judy TT.

Slightly heavy, basic Judy TT fork.

Best dollar for dollar features in the market. Just advanced enough for a newb like me to grow into.

Steve   Weekend Warrior [Jun 27, 2003]
Strength:

Sturdiness, Disc brakes, seamless shifting with Deore LX front and rear.

Handle grips, seat

Rides much nicer than the pricier Rainier. Judy TT Rock Shox are way more adjustable than the POS shocks on the Rainier, which I couldn't adjust hard enough to not bottom out on the smallest bumps. The M80 maneuvers nicely, and is very stiff in that you always feel like you have control of the bike. Definitely a good purchase.

Similar Products Used: Giant Rainier
brian   Cross Country Rider [Jun 22, 2003]
Strength:

great combintion lx/deore components. discs work great.

head set seems funny

save a grand buy this bike it can take on anything

Similar Products Used: mongoose rockadile (stx rc components) all kinds on goodies, when a mongoose was a mongoose
marco   Weekend Warrior [Jun 16, 2003]
Strength:

Components, components, components. LX/Deore is aways a good mix. Feels sturdy. Smoothe ride. Great tires, comfy (but not too comfy) saddle.

My main issue is the chain and the overall weight of the bike. It's not like a brick, but it definately feels heavier than the 2002 m40 I upgraded from. I still don't know what the heck this Atomic 13-985 aluminum is and how it compares to the 6061 aluminum on my M40. I mentioned the chain because the M80 chain and R. Derailleur seems to show signs rust often. My M40's chain and Derailleur didn't show any signs of rust after a year of riding under the same conditions. Hmmm, lemme see, better chain = more rust? Sup wit dat!? The JudyTT Fork is definately more plush than my m40's Omni RST stock, but it too seem a bit heavy. I checkec the RockShox site and found that the 2003 JudyTT on the M80 is like 5.07 lbs!?? WTF!?

It's taken a few rides to get used to this bike and the weight. But I can tell the overall quality is better and my previous Raleigh MTB (if you can call'em that). I think this is a great bike for the price. Although I still wish I would have kept my 2002 m40 and just upgraded to the cool black Alex Rims, disk brakes, and something like a Duke, or Sid fork. Same price but I'd still have that nimble 6061 frame... WOuld I buy this bike again? Yup! It's sturdy and very comfy. I've taken it through the paces, wiped out a few times and everything is holding up well. Then again, my m40 did too. Can you tell I liked my m40 :-)??

Similar Products Used: 1998m20, 2002m20, 2002m40.
Mike   Cross Country Rider [Dec 03, 2003]
Strength:

Frame, Heritage (Raleigh was 1st!)

Crankset,bars, stem

There are lighter bikes that are equal for a LOT more money,this bike is The Honda Accord of XC bikes...not the fastest,not the lightest, not the most stylish (although the'03 graphics are very cool!) and you won't get the oohs and ahhs you might get pulling in to the lot at your local dirt pile with a Yeti or Merlin on the roof...but at the end of the day (after day after day...)you will have the bike that is in one piece always ready, never a problem!
Put the key in, keep it lubed and ride the living daylights out of it!!! (and save the extra $1000 bucks you'd spend on an ego bike for an MTB tour of Moab or Ashville!!)

Similar Products Used: Trek, Kona, Diamondback, Fischer
Raphael   Weekend Warrior [Oct 06, 2003]
Strength:

-Price! I agree with just about every reviewer here. Best bang for your buck.
-Shimano deore/lx components.
-disk brakes
-strong frame

-Judy tt fork. This is bottom of the line RockShox
-Pedals
-saddle

The best bike out there for this price. No bike comes close. I'm a heavy rider at 220 pounds and I ride very hard. The m80 just keeps on going strong. I've landed 3 foot drops and the m80 handled it fine. The disk brakes are not top of the line but they perform much better than v-brakes. The only bad component on this bike that stands out is the fork. The judy tt would be ok for normal use ie. around the neighborhood, and hardpack trail riding. But if your going to get serious about mountain biking and start riding technical stuff you will need a better fork. I recommend the marzocchi mx comp. With a good fork upgrade this bike will perform like a dream. So if you are looking for a great bike for only $500, get the m80. Raleigh is extremly underrated.

Similar Products Used: m40 tassajara iguana
Mudduck   Weekend Warrior [Sep 28, 2003]
Strength:

Most bang for the buck. LX components, shifters, derailers, disk brakes, tires, and looks.

None whatsoever

Buy this bike. Me and a friend are getting into this "hobby" and looked at bikes for 2 weeks. We "stole" these bikes for $349.99. The store owner said that they were on sale to make room for the '04 models. You will not buy any other bike with shimano LX components and disk brakes for anything less than this. I even went so far as to ask if there were anything wrong with these bikes, like recalls or the like. I just finished my first race that of 9.3 miles in Palo Duro Canyon,TX. The bike did fine. My friend broke his chain, but nothing else broke. Believe me, we are the ultimate "weekend warriors". The shocks did quite well for my tast, I am sure that there are alot better ones out there. Bottom Line: Ultimate Bang For The Buck!

Similar Products Used: Tested Giant Ranier and Iguana disk, Specialized Hardrock Comp, Trek 4300,4500,4900