Raleigh M40 2003 Hardtail

M40

silentknight0010   Weekend Warrior [Jun 30, 2008]
Strength:

Tough frame with great welds; the 6061 alloy does wonders for weight without sacrificing strength. When properly tuned, shifts are both quick and crisp, and braking performance in many conditions seems to be on a par with many of my buddies' disk-outfitted rides.

It's taken everything I've dished out thus far without any major hickups, and I'm looking forward to another 5 years of similar performance.

For those who plan to attempt flight without bothering with all of that "Bernoulli" stuff, the stock wheels leave a bit to be desired. After bending a front axle and breaking a rear, and warping a rim, I upgraded to my current configuration.

Excellent ride for the price! A rugged frame outfitted with equipment that near perfectly balances quality and cost. Great for beginners, yet still a viable option for advanced riders seeking something to work with.

Dave   [Jul 10, 2003]
Strength:

light aluminum frame. Reliable brakes and the gears shift fine.

components aren't great but it's a cheap bike. no kickstand

The Raleigh M40 is a decent bike going around town. Either on paved roads or dirt. You get what you pay for so it is not recommended for serious off-roading obviously. If want a reasonably priced bike this is it. Raleigh is an underrated company.

Similar Products Used: trek 820
Jake   Weekend Warrior [Aug 21, 2003]
Strength:

Very light and controlable bike. I love the shocks and the smooth ride.

The only weakness I have found is that the pedals cracked after I road if off-road a lot, though I guess that would be expected with as much and as hard as I ride.

Awesome bike that I am really glad i spent the money on, what a heck of a deal this bike is! Any amature or above who wants to keep it cheap, this bike rocks, hands down!!!

Similar Products Used: Diamond Back Topanga, Giant Yukon, Raleigh M50
Keivn   [May 17, 2003]
Strength:

I think the bike is pretty strong and i like the frame. The tire are decent

The gear started to make noisethe second day i bought it but i just went to the store and they fixed it

i like this bike .It is a smooth ride and it get me out of the house.

johnny sleaze   Cross Country Rider [Oct 19, 2005]
Strength:

The frame never let me down, the disc brakes were amazingly easy to maintain. However, the disc brakes performed no better than V-brakes.

Everything else: The fork was too klunky and ill-performing (rigid would have been better!), the chainrings are pop-riveted, the rear derailleur failed right away, spokes and axle broke WITHOUT hard hits or jumping!

I bought this bike on the premise that I can upgrade all the inferior parts and keep the likable frame. I later found that I could have bought a Trek for the same price with much better parts, and a more honest mechanic.

With the stock parts, this bike would be all right for a beginner, commuter, or someone that seldom rides - not for me.

Similar Products Used: Many aluminum frames with good parts
David B   Weekend Warrior [Apr 20, 2007]
Strength:

Solid frame, great ENTRY-LEVEL bike, tires are perfect for the weekend warrior

Nothing really for an ENTRY-LEVEL bike, but upgrades are necessary if you intend to abuse it.

Please disregard some of the reviews of this bike. If someone bought this bike for downhill rides or hard-core XC, then they either didn't do much research, have absolutely no idea what they are doing, or a combination of both. This bike is not marketed as a downhill racer, nor is it held out as a top-of-the-line bike. EVERYONE who knows anything about bikes would know this. If you are looking for a great ENTRY-LEVEL bike, then this Raleigh can take pretty much anything you can dish out. If you anticipate giving this bike some serious abuse on technical trails, then don't buy this bike. To expect this bike to perform like the ones that cost hundreds (or even thousands) more is utter foolishness! Some people who have posted reviews on this bike need to consult a cycling professional and learn about bikes rather than simply purchasing the cheapest bike on the floor.

I have had one for the weekend rides since 2004, and this bike gave me hundreds of miles of good service (and I weigh over 200lbs). Now I keep it as a spare for visiting friends and relatives, and it has never let anyone down. You can find these on ebay or craigslist and they can usually be purchased at a reasonable price. Again, if you are a weekend warrior who occasionally rides offroad, then this bike is perfect. Don't expect this bike to be more than what it is: an ENTRY-LEVEL bike. It deserves the highest rating for that category.

Similar Products Used: Trek 3900, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Expedition
Daniel   Weekend Warrior [Mar 08, 2007]
Strength:

The frame kicks ass for the price. It is the same frame that they used all the way up through the higher end models. The saddle isn't bad either.

The crank sucks, the fork is a toy, derailleur's are cool for crusing around on pavement, the wheels are very week and heavy... basically everything really sucks except for the frame. But I knew all this going into the purchase... I mean it is a $250 bike, what do you expect?

Bottom line is if you gave someone this bike as their very first bike, it is a good platform to upgrade on. I love mine.

Similar Products Used: Marin, Schwinn, Trek.
Kimberly Akuna   Weekend Warrior [Jun 04, 2006]
Strength:

Durable frame, great for basic off-road trails

Too heavy for long city riding, difficult to carry up stairs, gears have to be adjusted regularly, plastic pedals

It's a great bike for someone like me without a lot of experience. As you spend more time on it, you realise its limitations, weight being number one. It's held up well, but only been seriously used for a year. This summer I will replace the tires and rims for weight's sake, exchange the pedals for clip-ins (the plastic teeth keep breaking and your feet slip) and upgrade the seat. All in all, I would recommend it to someone looking for a durable commuter bike who plans to take on light trails. If you plan on just traveling within the city limits, purchase something lighter. Also, it is really tough to carry up narrow stairways.

Roger Barquero   Weekend Warrior [Jan 03, 2006]
Strength:

This frame is one of the best I ever had on this type of bikes, it is strong and very reliable. I had a 100 miles tour and it did not let me down; actually I am planning another trip.

The bike it is a little heavy and I need to change some parts in order to get it ligher.

I recomend this bike to beginers that wants a very good bike that we can improved changing parts without expense a lot of money in the initial payment.
It is very good for climbing and fast in strigh roads.

Similar Products Used: Trek
Juan Alvarez   Weekend Warrior [Jun 05, 2005]
Strength:

I should start off sayin that I have the 05' model with the adjustable suspension fork, this thing is SWEET! Shifting is smooooth! This is the first time I one a bike with quick-releases and I'm lovin those. Also the first time I own a Disc-brake bike. Work great even with mud, wet, and they are noticable much quieter than rim brakes. Sturdy frame indeed. Lastly, the price was amazing! With all the high-end parts this thing comes with the price is incredible.

I've been doing some readong on the Kenda KLAW XT tires and I'm going to have to agree with what mose people say, they kind suck. They dont like wet roots. Also had 2 flats in one day on the rear, and a mysterious front flat that happened somewhere off-trail. The bike is a bit heavy but for the price I can live with it.

If you're starting off and aren't afraid of venturing into the Advanced/Expert trails, this bike can take it. WIth a few upgrades to Lighter parts, you got yourself one HEK of a bike!