Norco Charger 2003 Hardtail

rustyrazor   Weekend Warrior [Jun 18, 2008]
Strength:

Good Value

Chain snapped right away. Spokes need to be tightened often.

I used to ride it a few times a week but now it's down to weekends. It's great for all the single track stuff and XC ski trails. It's not too bad if you have to bike across town too.

I maxed out my budget and I think I got the best value for what I spent. I'll probably spend more next time

Similar Products Used: My buddies have Trekk, Giant, Specialized, GT I'm not sure of the models but I've tried most of them and prefer my charger.
pete   [Jul 12, 2003]
Strength:

everything

it is awsome i would recomened this to anyone who likes cross country riding

Similar Products Used: many
Jackass 316   Weekend Warrior [Jul 04, 2003]
Strength:

Cheap, good handling, takes good beating

a little on the heavy side

its great bike, great looks with great parts. worth the buy.

Similar Products Used: GT backwoods
Brandon   Downhiller [May 22, 2003]
Strength:

Strong, light bike, good tires, pedals work good for jumping and strong rims

best bike i have ever bought under 1200$ dollars and it should be bought by a lot of people

Similar Products Used: rocky mountain grind
Jeannot Bérubé   Cross Country Rider [Oct 26, 2003]
Strength:

Good parts, solid frame and great look. they shift very well for smooth ridind.

sterm, pedals, fork and poor front break

a bit heavy...I have an 20 inches one. but, this is a very good bike when tuned for the rider and the trail. I recommanded it for every one who want a bike under $2000 able to do the job...

Similar Products Used: most of XC bike between $1000 and $1500
Brendan   Weekend Warrior [Mar 28, 2007]
Strength:

Great bike for the rider who wants to tackle trails that have a few small drops and obstacles but also wants to be able to climb back up the hill fairly easy

I had trouble with the derailleur hanger. It bent on me and when i tried to bend it back it snapped.

For the price you pay, it comes with quite solid components and won't let you down. Its a great all around bike for people who are in between riding genres and wan't to tackle a bit of each.

Similar Products Used: oryx forget the name similar price range,
mark b   [Apr 21, 2003]
Strength:

looks nice. easy to adjust fork travel. pretty tuff and tight suspension, felt good. rode for two hours without gloves and my hands felt great. did a 5 foot drop to concrete. handled it smooth but the shocks bottomed out both times, i figure they were set to low. tightened them after and they felt better. discs are sweet, good specs for the bucks. easy to jump.

nothing really special. bars are way to long for tight trails. cheap looking pedals but they did the job. shifting gears was not as smooth as i had hoped. didn't feel to hot in the dirt trails.

i think i might need something with a little more nutsack. i want to take the cross country trails fast, and this is the bike to do it, but i don't think the charger can handle the urban drops and dirt jumps that i would like to beat myself up with. looking at the sasquatch and kona stuff. any help would be much appreciated. love the front suspension. if you want speed with nice forks and good specs, this is a good ride.

Similar Products Used: i tested a bunch of bikes. jamis durango sx, brodie fury(no disc)sweet ride but didn't have the frame size for me. a marin pallisades trail. kona stuff, loved the test drive but thought i might want something lighter. this is the second time i have taken it out for a ride. rode all the river trails around the forks, down past the 'ledge and so on. good on straight stuff.
jordan grant   Cross Country Rider [Apr 13, 2004]
Strength:

good disc brakes.fram is strong for the most part.I do some jumps, and this bike can take the pressure.

the pedals suck.the shoscks are nice but the bottom out even when they are tightened.the seat is a sack of crap.

this bike is a good steal. I've upgaded a bit, by i'm big and pretty hard. i've used many bikes and this is the best for my price range.

Similar Products Used: sasquatch,storm,ryde,kona srap
Brandon Stock   Downhiller [Apr 15, 2003]
Strength:

Very good bike.
lots of conponents

the best hard tail under 1100$

Similar Products Used: rocky mountain grind
Steve   Cross Country Rider [Apr 03, 2003]
Strength:

Long top tube (if you like that sort of thing). Looks good.

Heavy like lead. Corners cut all over the place in sneaky places.

This is not a XC race bike, despite being marketed as one. It is way too heavy. The Easton bars weigh a ton (unlike every other Easton product I've tried). The brakes (Shimano cable discs) are very good, but too heavy. The forks are absolute rubbish (Marzocchi should not have called these bombers, they're just coil and elastomer (unlike every other bomber model) and only move about 2 inches despite claiming 4 inches of travel), and are very heavy. The Firex cranks are good but they've left out the nice alloy chain rings and substituted nasty heavy steel ones! I didn't even get the SRAM chain as claimed in the spec, just a crappy Shimano one which are renowned for breaking. As you can see I'm not real happy with it, the perils of ordering a bike you haven't seen. I just can't believe a company like Norco would claim this is a XC race bike.

Good points? Well it does have a nice long top tube, longer than anything I've seen (24" for the large size) which allows you to run a slightly shorter stem. And it does look good. But that's not enough really is it?

At the end of the day there are much better specced bikes around for the same money.