Mongoose Rockadile ALD 2003 Hardtail

Mongoose Rockadile ALD 2003 Hardtail

[Nov 17, 2008]
nixk

Strength:

The frame is very solid, and it rides great.

The front forks are not the best but they work for the price.

Good bike for the price but could use better parts such as front forks, derailers, and rims.

[Aug 18, 2003]
Gary Leong

Strength:

Price and disc brakes (front & rear). Relatively light bike.

rear deraileur. It doesn't pull on the chain properly. Chain becomes loose when in high gears.

Great priced bike. There is room for upgrades. Cannot find another bike below $300 that has aluminum frame, 2 disc brakes, shimano drive train and front shock.

[Sep 01, 2003]
Michael Chapman

Strength:

Grips, Cables, Disc Brakes,

Weight, seat(nice looks, but hard as a rock), components,(but expected for price).

First and foremost I can't spell, so forgive me. Yes I owned one of the famous Trek OCLV carbon mountain bikes and it was a sweet ride, but I had a crash and one of the stays cracked. I repaired it and sold it for 400. But suprizingly I am very impressed with this Mongoose. It is heavy. Weighed with Berkly digital fish scales, it weighs 27lb. The Trek weighed 20, but with some carbon components and a lighter drive system, the weight would start to drop. Taken out to Wood Run Mountain Bike Trail System on the Uwharrie National Forest, in NC, I rode the Supertree trail. This is a simi experienced single track with creeks to cross and a lot of small gravel and larger rock. A lot of mud as we have had a lot of rain. The geometry of this bike gives a more comfortable ride I think than the Trek did. It allows me a simi upright ride but the ability to lean into it if I want to be more aggressive. I am not a racer, just weekends, and just for fun. But I think this bike can give both. The frame seems to be made well. And the disc brakes have given me no trouble. There is no drag for me anyway. They stop you on a dime. My only concern is when it comes time for new pads will I be able to find them? This bike is excellent for the beginer and weekend rider. For the pro, we all should know the answer to that one. But for the price I am very pleased. I plan to upgrade the drive system to LX if I can still find some 8 speed laying around and some carbon on the handle and seat post. Also, a different seat as the nice looking one that came on it is ruff on the rump. I hope this review is helpfull as I do not write them very often. Good Times

Trek 9700 Carbon Fiber

[Jun 01, 2003]
Shiva

Strength:

After searching around and reading many reviews I decide to go for the Mongoose Rockadile ALD from a Dicks Sporting Goods store. I like the bike a lot. I rode it for the first time today partly on the road and partly on a simple trail. I enjoyed the ride and the experience and am looking forward to many more. So I have nothing but good things to say right now about the bike. I will post more reviews once I have had many more riding experiences to write about...

Two things: I did go for the $39 2-year unlimited parts and labor repair warranty which includes a 30 day and 2 free tune ups.
Also my ALD has front and rear mechanical disk brakes. I thought they were supposed to be better than regulars... but I found they are not as "instant" as the other bike I tried out in the store. My friend said that it is a good thing and allows you to modulate the braking... Any comments on this?

Thats all for now...
-SS-

A Good bike! Will post more later..

[Jan 30, 2006]
Izac

Strength:

strong frame and handlebars, very light and soft comg up bumbs on the uphill also

shocks-abit bouncy and when it compresses and releases it makes a long clunk like its hitting a metal stopper which it probably is...not very plushy even when preloader is set to softess.. also the cranks i had the left side rounded out in the first two months of use so i swap with a new one

this bike si overall very good value for wot u pay it for...the shocks could do with upgrading once u geting enough cash or feel the need but thats really about it..handles turns andfeels ballanced and controled good for beginners which dun want to do killer drop offs and massive jump

[Oct 03, 2006]
Israel Duran

Strength:

Ecellent price, decent set up, minimal adjustments

Fork (Mozo R-120a), weight

OK it's not the best bike, but not terrible either. But what did I expect for $330? Not a lot, mostly something for my gf to ride around on. That said, it has performed well. It is a bit heavy and the fork isn't worth much, but after much riding the components are finally going bad and its time to upgrade (fork and drivetrain) with some better stuff (Rockshox Pilot SL & ???? haven't decided). Overall I am very pleased with the performance for the price. If I had to suggest a bike for a beginner and this was my price range, I would go the same route. I give it 5 flamin' chilis because the performance exceeds the price.

2001 GT I-Drive 2.0

[Jun 13, 2003]
Joel Almoradie

Strength:

Nearly everything

Tires feel like sliding when cornering at high speeds; shifting performance 3 of 5; average brakes; needs a better fork

Great bike for its price; needs tweaking in the drivetrain; after you've saved some, may want to replace fork with a better unit and that should make you happy for quite some time!

[Apr 28, 2003]
Lucas

Strength:

Brakes, Frame, Fork, and almost everything except the seat.

Saddle is hard as hell

This is an amazing bike for the price. I have read that some people have problems with the fork but if you turn up the preset you will never bottom out (trust me I weigh 205 lbs). The brakes are great after you learn how to tune them. If you replace the seat, this is one hell of a bike for a small price.
There is no reason to pass up this great deal, you will be as happy as everyone else that has bought this bike. I may upgrade the pedals but it does gome with some decent ones.
Dont pass up on this bike you will regret it.

Gary Fisher, Trek

[Apr 04, 2003]
Jerry

Strength:

Frame, Derailleur, Brakes

Seat, Forks

Excellent hardtail bike for beginner to intermediate riders. I'm totally satisfied with it, especially compared to the Gary Fisher and Kona bikes I had looked at before buying this one. They were all at least DOUBLE the price of this one. I'm going to replace the front fork, and have just as good a bike, if not better, for half the cost.

Mongoose Zero G3, Giant Warp DS2

[Jan 09, 2004]
Mike

Strength:

I researched for a mountain bike with diligence and I really liked everything about this bike. 6061 aluminum frame with TIG welds,Truvatix crank, Jagwire kevlar cables, disk brakes, Kenda Koyote tires, Alex SCE-17 rims, Mozo 120a front shocks, True technologies handlebars and seatpost. 24 speed Shimano Acera derailleurs and EF29 EZ-fire shifters (they do the job, but no bragging rights for high cost). Made in Taiwan, shipped from Taiwan. After I assembled the front tire, handlebars, pedals, and seat and buffed everything to a shine she looked outstanding. The pedals have an alloy axis that really shines, very nice. But the ride was smooth, quiet, with quick precise shifts. Handled my weight (190 lbs)without a problem.

None for the price. You could argue that the components are not the most expensive, so upgrade when they wearout. Not the lightest.

Mostly, this will be my commuter with trails on the weekends. I could not be happier. Get one of these bikes while any are still available, a great deal. You would have to spend two to three times the price before getting a bike noticeably better.

Peugeot road bike, Scwhinns, Rayleigh, Mongoose 2002.