Kona Scrap 2003 Hardtail

Kona Scrap 2003 Hardtail

[Jul 11, 2011]
dylan189189

Strength:

Very nice light bike, recommend upgrades however. Durable, great for starters, or even experienced riders. This thing kills on dirt!

Need new tires or rims asap! fork needs an upgrade if your doing over 8 foot drops.

This bike, with some minor upgrades is amazing! for the awesome price, its affordable, yet durable. people walk by everyday and say "Dude, thats a cool bike" I personally think its better than the new ones which seem over rated. Get this bike, you wont be disappointed!

kona shred.

[Jul 05, 2003]
Kev

Strength:

Great beginner urban assault vehicle!

Brakes, seat hurts my bottom.

An excellent bike for the money. Won't climb the same as my comfort bike that I use on the trails, but going down will be that much more fun. Bring on the skinnys, stair drops, fun parks, kickers, etc. There is a hell of a lot of concrete in Toronto that is taunting me. ;)

Specialized P.2, Oryx, Giant.

[Jun 24, 2003]
A Queer
Downhiller

Strength:

everything, except the fork. It seems to cheap and can't handle the big stuff.

the fork, it starts super stiff, softens up quick but just doesn't feel right.

This kicks ass. BUY THE SCRAP (but upgrade the fork. Can't go wrong for the $$$$$ Excellent freeride bike. Greatin the park, ds, dh, urban. Maybe try some hydro disks for dh.
If you don't have a lot of cash buy it, if you do, get a roast.

don't need to when you try this

[Jun 04, 2003]
Jeff Smtih

Strength:

Frame is verry strong and not too heavy, I love the feel of the kona DH handle bars. Big beafy peddals are verry uselfull for big drops. Tiogo factory DH tires suit all kinds of riding verry well.

Sun Ditch Witch are hard to trust off of those 8+ foot drops,(will be upgrading to alex supra D's). Other than that this bike is fairly big hit ready ....Marzochi EXR Comp isnt ready for the BIG hits either...but so far it suits my needs

An awsome bike for its $$$ .. It's opened doors to the biking world that I'm absolutely crazy about. For those riders either just getting into the sport of freeriding and urban assult(like me) or if ur an experienced rider this bike will take a beating and ask for more. WAY TO GO KONA!!!!

kona scab, speacialized P2

[Jan 28, 2007]
paul howarth
Downhiller

Strength:

Great frame good geomatry, ok stock but not enough for me...

forks arent that good

norco 4hun

[Jan 28, 2007]
paul howarth
Downhiller

Strength:

Great frame good geomatry, ok stock but not enough for me...

forks arent that good

kona shred
norco 4hun

[Feb 23, 2006]
Jon Mason

Strength:

7005 clump alluminum custom butted

None that i know of yet.

Best bike i've ever used in my life!

Kona big kuku , kona scab

[Jan 17, 2004]
Hernan Castaneda a beginer freerider

Strength:

anything but brakes

brakes

ok, I got this beautiful machine by 7 months and I've had a great time with it. BUT brake levers, cables and pads are the worst thing in the world. It is true... they are cheap brakes and with them the bike is nothing expensive. Im saving to get 7'' avid mechanicals or shimano xt hidraulicals.

Fork is ok, just some adjustment, cleaning and some manitou grease to turn it more plush. A little bit spongy but not really bad.

I´ve seen jamis, specialized, even chutes or stuffs frames at $300 or more. I get the scrap: the same frame, black color, plus kona bars (great!!), alivio mech, truvative husselfelt, shimano disc hubs, tioga tires, sun ditch witch rims, a 200 usd bomber and this lame tektro brakes at $600. I cauld´nt go wrong.
KONA , good work!!

some stuffs

[Mar 29, 2007]
Robert McGregor

Strength:

This bike has a strong frame and ok standard equipment

Kinda heavy and after a while you'll be begging for upgrades

This is a bike that grows with you. Great for beginners to intermedate level riders out of the box. With upgrades you'll be a star. I think the new ones come standard with hydros and better forks. Buy This bike you'll love it!

Iron Hore P.O.S crap jumper, Gary fisher Mullet(great bike)

[Dec 27, 2003]
scab picker

Strength:

good frame. pretty frame. very nice frame. stock setup is good for a descent amount of time until you're ready to upgrade components. people say the tektro brakes suck, but I like them for trials, and I've found as long as you give them a little TLC and slap a booster on the back you're set. I wouldn't mind some LXs in place, but the tekkys are fine by me. the levers on the other hand aren't so good. shifters shift, so they're fine. alivio rear der has taken quite a few knocks, and is fine once tuned. bar is in one piece after quite a few concrete crashes, drops, and general goofing around so it's good. pedals good, lost a few pins but still solid. hussefelts good. ditch witches okay by me. stock knobies good, but I plan to get some K-RADS or hookworms.

levers have a nice feel, but aren't the greatest. bar kind of worries me after a few hard crashes, but it's still in one piece. the bike does need some love after a hard street ride, but everything is really solid. I don't like that this type of kona frame's warranty is only for a year though. that stinks. some people don't like the ditch witches, and I think I'm going to replace my beat up ones with rhyno lites or D521s, but they've always been faithful to me with a little truing.

this thing is solid. it hasn't failed me yet on anything here in the concrete jungle of chicago. I street ride just about everyday and ride on the weekends with the chicagofreeride.com fools (if you're ever in chicago check the website and come ride with us), and the only thing this ride has failed on is nothing... well the chain busted once but that was just the chain. I've done ugly looking (me that is) 7' plus drops to flat, really scarry northshore stuff out in joliet (from what the teamsally.com crew has built), and tons of just stupid falls with this beautiful bike. I am 5'5" and got the extra small frame, which is perfect for trials, urban, dirtjumping, commuting, and stupid falls. would say that the warranty is disappointing, but you'll definately have gotten your moneys worth when you bust this. I've got no beef with the exr. it's a fine starter fork, a little stiff, but if you're into trials it's great, and I feel fine with it after big urban hits. good bike.

specialized P2, cove stifee, evil imperial, azonic ds1, on-one gimp. I've only ridden these others like once. they're other riders bikes who chicago freeride. I'd trade my roommates laptop for that evil imperial, but I still love my kona.