Klein Attitude 2003 Hardtail

Attitude

dave   Weekend Warrior [Jul 16, 2003]
Strength:

It's beautiful, fantastic craftsmanship, lightweight, responsive, shifts better than anything I've ever ridden, great brakes (stopping, a little finicky maintenence wise)

bontrager rim doesn't want to stay true (it could be the rocks I hit?), Used the chainring as a bash ring and now it's a little "modified" but that's not Klein's fault, an apple and oranges comparison but, this weekend I just rode a CC full suspension bike in Durango and was suprised at how I didn't have a millimeter of tire slip, it isn't that I don't love this bike, but after having ridden that bike I would think that the xs weight would be worth it, on rocky uphills the attitiude could be a little too responsive, I probably just need to work on technique.

Great bike, light, fast, and did I mention it's beautiful. I'm usually a little more pragmatic than to be lured by the pretty paint, but I did buy it from my friend, and I'm glad I did. I was riding a bike that was a little too small for me, and the diffference is astonishing (whatever you buy, make sure it fits you). If I had to buy it new, and spend that kind of cash, I might be lured by full suspension (do to the wheel slip on the up) considering the steep sandy/rocky hills out here, but if I had I chance to go back and do it again, F$%# yeah I would.

4 chilis for value is for the retail price, not what I paid

Similar Products Used: nothing in a CC hard tail, but the Ellsworth Isis is a better bike than I am if you're looking for that kinda thing.
Stu   Weekend Warrior [Jun 30, 2003]
Strength:

Amazing weld quality, clean and effective cable routing, decent fork, awesome paint! Very responsive handling from a frame with fantastic geometry.

Avid brakes are a bit weak, noisy crank.

Couldn't pass this one up for the price! Went to my LBS on their clearance day to pick up a Rockhopper for my wife, and probably a Rockhopper Comp for myself - got the bike for my wife, but was going to have to special-order my framesize Rockhopper Comp.... until I saw this beauty tucked away in the corner. The box was destroyed by melt from the blizzard in early '03, so it was heavily discounted. No damage to the bike at all though... I think all the employees wanted it to not sell that day so they could buy it after the sale, but it came home with me!

The handling was a bit lively at first, but I'm really starting to like it after a few rides. The geometry suits me almost perfectly (6', 220lb, Large frame) - feels very sure footed, especially when climbing or on slippery surfaces. Certainly a bike I will 'grow into' as a rider, but also one that makes it so easy to improve your skills.

I'd highly recommend this bike to virtually anyone. It's forgiving enough for a beginner, but up to the challenge of an expericened rider too. At the price I paid, I'm happy to spring for a few upgrades to make this into an even more awesome ride. Even at full price this Klein is good value to me, just for the frame quality alone.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Rockhopper, Rockhopper Comp, Trek 6700.
Peter   Weekend Warrior [Aug 28, 2003]
Strength:

By far the frame, very stiff and responsive. I love the paint although I am sure it will be scratched soon.

Rode it heavily today through the woods, however the soil is sand so the tires aren't ideal, other than that, there is none so far

I didn't push the bike, it pushed me, I finally found comfort for a 6'5" 260 body

Similar Products Used: Cannondale
Shawn   Weekend Warrior [Jun 23, 2003]
Strength:

Awesome ride, excellent paint, decent components, disc hubs, sweet fork (for the money), excellent paint, cool & well thought out cable routing. Tires EXCELLENT in the mud and on climbs

Seatpost slips constantly. Seat could be better (next upgrade after the brakes below). Bike is soo sweet that I've become a gram watching weenie stuck on upgrading it!

Awesome bike for the money.

Similar Products Used: GF Big Sur, Diamondback Access (old school)
JOE MONTGOMERY   Weekend Warrior [Jun 15, 2003]
Strength:

AWESOME FRAME, CRAFTMANSHIP AND QUALITY ARE UNMATCHED, MID-LEVEL COMPONENTS, ABOVE AVERAGE FORK

CRAPPY SEAT, TIRES AND BRAKES ARE A LITTLE LAME

THIS IS A VERY GOOD FRAME, RELIABLE COMPANY AND HAS POTENTIAL TO BE A TOP OF THE LINE XC RACE BIKE

Similar Products Used: SPECIALIZED STUMPJUMPER, TREK 8000, GARY FISHER BIG SUR
Josh Simon   Cross Country Rider [Jun 09, 2003]
Strength:

Square geometry, light weight, compact feel, beautiful paintjob (especially in the sun), smooth finish with the cables running through the top tube. Great frame to build on.

Expensive to build on the great frame. Feels like an inexpensive bike (just my take). Paint was already chipping where the shift/rear-brake cables enter into the top tube near the headset. Though it is more on the race side, it coult benefit from a little more travel from the standard 60mm. I expected more.

There wasn't anything wrong with this bike as far as quality/components, its just that it felt like a supercycle-usually when you hop on a $1700 (Can.) bike it feels like a few weeks of hard earned income-this didn't. I'm sure many will disagree with me and just love it, its just a matter of what feels right for you. The Cinder Cone was $600 (Can.) less but it feels more solid, more like a package, and just plain "feels more right".

Similar Products Used: Kona Cinder Cone, Gary Fisher Tassajara, Kona Kahuna Deluxe (Dual Susp. but similar price range).
John   Weekend Warrior [Dec 05, 2003]
Strength:

I bought an Attitude basic model 4 years ago just for the frame and completely rebuilt it with trick components and got the overall weight down to 21 lbs. This bike served me well on hard riding in UK (Welsh Mountains mainly) and overseas on holidays (Alps etc.). A fantastic climbing machine with quick acceleration and easy to shoulder when you need to. Paintwork stayed lush and refused to chip.

The frame eventually snapped with a vertical sheer just where the rear mech hanger attaches to the frame plate. This was a model when they had a rear entry wheel arrangement. I took the frame back to the shop where I bought it in Weymouth Dorset under the lifetime warranty arrangement and after a short while they phoned my up to say they had my brand new 2003 model Attitude Comp frame ready to collect. Now you can't grumble at that can you. It looks now they have beefed up the area where the previous frame failed so I guess Klein may have had a few failures in that area. The new frame is a little heavier. The Original was a clained 2.9 lbs but weighed 3.2 lbs (Medium) and the new one weighs 3.5 lbs (Medium) when it is claimed to be 3.2 so they are both up a little but I guess they pick the small frame for weight claims!

Superb lightweight racing machine, ideal for long distance unduro if your lower back can take it. Service and Warranty has to be one of the best with no arguments. realy good paint finish that is real hard wearing and hard to chip. You can't go wrong with an Attititude. The new one has internal gear cable guides so I am not too sure how I am going to get on with them for maintenance.

Similar Products Used: Orange Elite now the E6. Also an exellent bike.
dominic   Cross Country Rider [Mar 16, 2007]
Strength:

A top quality, light frame, white shimmer paint job is great but has chipped now which is a shame. Stock components were ok - XT gear set and Hayes Nine disk brakes. A poor seat and seat post though and only Bontrager Select bar and stem.

Chipping Paint after 2 years - would love to get is sorted out. Otherwise - nothing - a great bike

A super fast, dream bike with responsive handling.
I am 14 stone, but still feel like a pro!!!!

Similar Products Used: Only Klein
Daniel Barlow   Cross Country Rider [Oct 20, 2003]
Strength:

Good strong frame with a good feel to it.

2003 frame-none!

I got the 2003 Attitude frame and it feels nice and more Aerospace. I really like the feel and the color on it. I think Klein bikes are the best frames in the world. They fit right and it feels like riding on a spaceship. Next year I'm planning to get the new Attitude xv with XTR components for around $3,000 which I think it is a good deal, I guess it's because it is a hardtail. I'm still sticking with hardtail again because of the performance of climbing and the weight. When they make a full suspension that is lighter and climbs good, I'll go for it.

Similar Products Used: I would never ride a bike that is not a Klein! I rode a Specialized once and I didn't like it. Klein feels more Aerospace.
Stephen Ray   Cross Country Rider [May 26, 2006]
Strength:

Very Lightweight, awesome detail and color, great compnents.

Due to oversized frame, potential to dent easy. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

This bike is AWWWWESOME, for years I have been looking for just the right bike for my needs (4 day city riding /3 days Trail riding). When I bought this bike even with the stock components it handled like a champ, but after a few minor upgrades (carbon components, lightweight wheelset, and CK headset). This bike is in a class by itself, it's fast, stiff, agile, smooth shifts with the XT components (NO XTR way over rated!!!) I LOVE THIS BIKE! When I was at the BS the bike appeared to be a fiery orange, in the sunlight it turned a funky greenish yellow, great paint job. I can't say enough about this bike for the price and the upgrades it was well worth the money. Too bad Klein's website doesn't show the available colors for the attitude, I would have bought this bike years ago. RIDE ON!

Similar Products Used: Trek 9.9, Specialized Stumpjumper, GT LTS.