KHS Alite 500 2003 Hardtail

KHS Alite 500 2003 Hardtail

[Feb 19, 2009]
PeeWeeBiKeR

Strength:

thisbike is amazing, i couldnt give an exact retail price because i bought mine used. the air you can get with this bike is amazing! bike is super light and strong.

NOTHING :)

Amazing bike

norco katmandu- alite 4k is better!

[Jul 17, 2003]
Chris

Strength:

light but strong frame, reasonable componentry for the entry level rider, not hard on funds

the componentry seems a little weak..if you have the money replace it with somthing stronger..and the brakes..CHANGE THEM IMMEDIATELY..the pads will eat the rims badly and the v-brake arms are flexy

great bike for the price, would not make a very good race bike without making some componentry changes though..I never used the fork or the headset as I had them changed as soon as I got it..I did use the brakes once after I changed the pads from the stock ones that had metal shards showing in the rubber (I had already ordered some avid SD-7 brakes and just used the rim wrangler 2's off of those)and realized they flexed bad enough that they called for replacement..the shimano shifters and deraileurs work OK but not very impressive..If I could afford and justify the change, I would put somthing better on but I just cant see myself spending more than the $550 I already have in the bike for occasional use when I'm not working to pay for my other bottomless pit in which I throw money (my car).

bridgestone mb-6, disposable walmart specials

[Jul 11, 2003]
Darrin Tinsley

Strength:

Cost, frame. It is hard to find a decent hardtail for $300 to $400, but KHS has the idea here. I bought my wife the Alite300 and the 500 for myself. These bikes are fantastic for beginning mountain bikers.

Components ... specifically those blasted grip shifters.

Can't beat the price. I have really ridden mine hard (for an amateur) and it has held up extremely well.

[Jun 11, 2003]
Richard

Strength:

Price

Altus Front Derailleur

This was my first bike purchase outside of the standard Canadian Tire bikes of my youth. So far I love it and it has made my introduction to trail riding fun and enjoyable...with one exception. It comes equipped with Shimano Altus Derailleurs and while the rear one has done me just fine, the front isn't worth the metal it's made out of. Never shifts properly in both directions (if it goes up well, it won't come down well and vice versa) Otherwise I'm happy very with the bike

[Mar 08, 2007]
Kristopher
Downhiller

Strength:

Decent frame

Everything else

The bike worked well for about a year, but after any heavy riding it goes to hell. I've replaced the drive train twice with zero improvment. Bike is very incompatiable with new componentry. Don't get fooled into thinking buying new parts is going to solve your problems. Ive spent at least $400 trying to get the drive train working properly. Waste of money, just buy a new bike. Fork also died after first year of hard riding.

[Oct 30, 2003]
Mike Jensen

Strength:

Quick nimble handling, light frame and mostly decent components. Great bang for the buck!

stock drivetrain components leave something to be desired. guess that is what i get for the price range.

great bike for minimal price. had problems with bottom bracket and headset seal right off the bat. were easily fixed with some oil and a little tightening. have had lots of great rides with minimal problems. great tires and setup for stock bike. if you are looking for a cheap low maintenance ride on a short budget this is the ticket.

specialized hard rock

[Mar 28, 2003]
Nathan King

Strength:

Strong, light frame.

Geometry is a bit wacky for me, and paint scratches easily.

I will only be reviewing essentially the frame, because I bought it from someone who had switched out all of the stock parts :)

Its very durable, very lightweight and great for XC racing. Only problems I had with it were that the paint scratches easily, and the geometry feels a little funny, but people have said that its just me.

If you're going to buy this, I would advise just buying the frame and building off of that. If you're serious at all about riding, you'll switch out the stock parts immediately :D

Very cost effective, to my understanding you can buy the frame for about 100 bucks, although I bought mine already built and brand new for 400.

Trek 4500, Mtn Tek Boulder, Specialized Rockhopper

[Jan 26, 2008]
Jack

Strength:

Frame and fork are the only decent things on this bike

Everything! Derailleur hanger is manufactured out of aluminum that is too soft. Even resting the bike on it will bend the hanger. I have gone through 5 of them so far!

Stock SRAM rear derailleur is made of plastic and will shatter the first time it sees a log or rock. I upgraded it to an X8 but i am still not happy with it. Avoid SRAM at all costs and go with Shimano. You will not regret it.

Stock Disc brakes are garbage. Tolerances are too tight. If you decide to tighten your quick release your brakes will start to rub while you are riding.

For every hour of riding you do be prepared to spend at least two hours fixing this pile of junk. I am pretty good at fixing bikes so I feel sorry for a person who owns this bike and does not know what they are doing.

Go with a better brand for an entry level bike. KHS needs to do something about the components they use on their entry level bikes. If you plan on doing any XC riding DO NOT get this bike!

K2, Brody, Haro entry level bikes

[Apr 19, 2005]
Cohen Hewitt

Strength:

everything

none so far

Its an excellent bike for trail riding or for going big as I do. (6 footers still no prob)

[Dec 31, 2004]
john wolfgram

Strength:

lots

breaks are the troble for me

I think the breaks