Jamis Durango SX 2003 Hardtail

Jamis Durango SX 2003 Hardtail

Here’s a real deal mountain bike that will get you there and back: fast. Offering everything you can possibly need at a price you can feel good about. With its’ new for ’03 manipulated 7005 aluminum frame design, a full Shimano Deore 27-speed drivetrain, and a magnesium-light-but-Reverse-Arch-stiff Manitou Axel Comp fork.

[Aug 21, 2014]
WannaXbe

Strength:

Deore Components 3X9, shift so smooth and with out a miss. The Avid Brakes are great and stop on a dime. Who needs discs!!!

The seat is not good but who buys a bike and keeps the factory seat. I swapped it out before I ever rode it. The factory shock is a little squishy but not too bad.

I really like the bike and buying it used 11 yrs later for 80.00 bucks was a steal. The wheels where worth that. My first real MTB to take on single track and love it. This would be a great bike for anyone looking for a hard tail for trails and single track. light weight at just over 26lbs.

Fuji Nevada

[Jul 06, 2009]
todds7

Strength:

Light and strong! Great commuter! I don't know why there isn't a "commuter" choice under "type of cyclist"; Surely plenty of people commute on mountain bikes.

... not at four times this price. For under a grand there's just nothing to carp about! And that's a really good thing.

I'm a six-foot, 200-lb. commuter. I wanted something that could jump curbs while being pretty quick, durable, inexpensive and low maintenance. Bingo, the Jamis nails all of it. I used to get flat tires all the time, but these knobbies are actually a good urban tire, raising the tube a little bit out of harm's way. I bought a gooey innertube and fiberglass tire armor, but haven't even needed them. I see other popular brands around town and I'm amazed at what JUNK they are compared with this Jamis, which is an awesome frigging bike. I am completely delighted with it. I'm sure there are nicer bikes, but I have no need or desire to pay more.

You'll laugh. Similar in that it was a bicycle. A 1980 Greenbriar Free Spirit 10sp., forest green :) The original rotary bell is worth more than the bike :) But hey it got me into more serious biking, and it got me to and from work for years. You may have it if you can pick it up. I'm on Whidbey Island, Wash.

[Aug 24, 2007]
genghis khan

Strength:

DURABLE
looks
forks
triple walled rims
disc brakes

seat
pedals

This bike is so durable. I beat the crap out of it and it survives. I got this bike cause i shattered 2 rear derailers on my GT and the third one was beant. The frame beant, both rims beant, and i bottem out easily with the cheap forks. So i got the jamis and no problems with it yet. I climb a 5 set of stairs with it by just ballin into the stairs and its fine. its fairly light and and shifts very smoothly. the triple walled rims r nearly impossible to bend. plus this bike is a very sharp looking bike.

GT Agresser 07

[Feb 17, 2004]
Matt

Strength:

Nice overall bike for the bucks. Got of the Internet from someone who was overstocked. Jamis has great bikes for the buck. Full Deore, nice geometry, fork is nice, and the overall setup has a more expensive feel to it. Top tube is a little shorter than their upper models, allowing slightly more upright position. Great for dabbling.

Three words: WHeels, Wheels, Wheels.

I have never had a rear wheels that was "true" in the rims and spokes, then look down at the cassette and see it oscilating left to right. I'm not sure if the bearings suck, its off center and everything else is messed up, or if the entire thing is crap. I will ride them until they break, then go with something else.

Oh, and ProMax breaks. However, they're better than the wheels.

Can't beat it for the price!!!! I use it as a winter bike so as to not have my prized steel road bike take on the "Midwest Blues" (ie corrosion). Very comfortable overall. Heavy for a hardtail, but LIGHT for a $200.00 hardtail (retail is $630.00). Nice cosmetics, also. Paint is better than $1000.00 bikes. Cheap is great!

You name it, I've probably ridden it.....except ti ($$$$)

[Mar 28, 2003]
Jill Raspier

Strength:

Great frame without being heavy, awesome tires....I'm not a small chick (6 feet and 200lbs) and this bike can definently do some damage.

The seat! OUCH!!!! Don't come down off the jumps too hard boys....

Good bike for Weekend Warriors...I love the fact that it's so light but yet can take some serious damage and still keep going. If you're gonna do any upgrades, start with the seat!

[Mar 30, 2003]
Allan Caldwell

Strength:

Almost evry thing, especilly the frame

the saddle isn't great and the pedals are the toe clip type.

It's a great bike, it's very similar to the giant iguana except lighter and cheaper. relly great bike for a beginner and strong, good parts. Buy it buy shimano pedals. ride alot!

Old rusty creature

[Jan 24, 2003]
Jeff Rago

Strength:

Durrable frame. I'm a 220lb guy who enjoys a nasty single track. The adjustable front shocks are a bonus for different types of riding.

Need to upgrade the saddle. There is plenty of cushion but I prefer the saddle with the open slot in the middle.

I truly believe this bike would be a perfect machine for the advanced rider or the want a be pro, weekend warrior like my self.

compatible with my wifes rock hopper. maybe even better.

[May 10, 2003]
Patrick

Strength:

Smooth and easy gear transition, beautiful and sturdy frame, great geometry (love the way i sit in the bike), good responsive brake system, very useful preload adjustment on the front shocks and pretty sticky tires

seat's a bit harsh on the valuables and front shocks could be a bit stiffer

Giant smile on my face. I found a bike with everything I wanted on it and for a great price. this bike handles great on very rocky terrain, is quick and reponsive on single track and climbs with ease. I punish it 3 times a week for 2 to 3 hour intervals and aside from the mud it stsill looks and preforms as it did the first day. This is my second bike and I am a poor college student. I think this bike is perfect for anyoone in my situation because you get alot for your money.

specialized hard rock pro, giant yukon, raleigh m80

[Sep 12, 2003]
Thom

Strength:

Can you get a better NEW mtb for less than $400? Don't think so! The components on this bike are great...shifting is very smooth, brakes are responsive, frame is strong yet light, even its looks are killer - silver w/ dark grey. I don't know how they can put all of this together for WELL UNDER 5 benjamins (this could have easily and actually has sold for over $550 elsewhere) ~ but I ain't complainin'!

Figure on buying new pedals b/c you probably won't like the stock - heavy, "toe" clips, and ugly. Other than that...nothing (for now at least).

If you want the most bang for your buck...look no further! My friends (who know a lot more about bikes than I ever will) still can't believe this deal. Knowing you're getting so much for (comparatively) so little, just makes you smile and thank the Lord! For anyone out there whose a beginner or somewhat experienced but not wanting to break the bank, the 2003 Jamis Durango SX should top your list! Bottom Line: Praise Jesus!

Kona Fire Mt. and higher, Trek 3700s and higher, Jamis Durango SX Sport, and a couple of K2s, etc.

[Jun 21, 2005]
Joshua Mallery

Strength:

Very durable,reliable, and very light. Front shocks are great for cross country riding. Very smooth riding

Tires are ok but not great. need to be lighter with better traction for dry dirt trails.

The bike is great for any type of rider. Frame and stock components are very durable and will get you around any trail you wish to try.

Mongoose, and GT Timberline