Jamis Dakota AL 2003 Hardtail

This non-ferrous version of our famous Dakota is perfect for the rider looking for a lightweight XC racer for under a grand. The 7005 alloy frame features fast-handling geometry with triple butted tubes. The butting is engineered to trim grams but also helps to soak up rear-end trail chatter.

Chad   Weekend Warrior [Feb 28, 2006]
Strength:

Fast, great value, Truvativ Crank, Skareb fork, Avid disc brakes, light and rugged-looking frame.

The stock Fizik saddle is a ball-buster.

A light, great looking hardtail that is not too mainstream. A truly upgradable-worthy bike offered at a very reasonable price (especially on clearance as I found mine). This bike is for buyers who appreciate fast, low maintenance hardtails who understand that you don't have to spend 4k on a bike to achieve high-end performance.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale F-1000
James   Cross Country Rider [Oct 29, 2003]
Strength:

Great Bike for the money, which is what Jamis is known for. Nice and light, BEFORE upgrades, strong, compliant, and very fast. Also, the reliability of REAL components, not house-brand stuff.

None, for a hardtail

Quite simply on of the best hardtails you can buy for the money. Jamis is simpply amazing. They consistently have the best products for the money, period. If only they were bigger to overthrow the likes of the Trek Triangle , Cannondale, and Specialized. Then we all would be able to have REAL parts on our mountain bikes that would last longer, rather than some house brand crap.

Similar Products Used: Trek, Specialized, Cannondale, Gary Fisher
dagfink   Cross Country Rider [Apr 14, 2004]
Strength:

Geometry, choice of components makes sense. Good brakes. Nice handling. Looks good. Value for money.

Mosquito tires not all that good. Not sure about the suspension seatpost either.

Great entry level mountain bike. Love the handling and the brakes (with the Avids I'm not sure if I really need disc brakes). Superb climber, civilized down hill. If you're looking for a basic and reliable but race worthy bike, this could be it.

Similar Products Used: Mid 90s rigid Cannondale (stolen). Tested a few bikes before I bought the Jamis, such as Gary Fisher and Specialized, but figured this was better value for money.
James   Cross Country Rider [Mar 17, 2004]
Strength:

Great value - strong frame for upgrading on - good colors - excellent component spec

thin paint, which seems to chip easily...
Loose the heavy squish-post, and just get out of the saddle...

With upgrades, I've gotten this bike down to 22-23 lbs... and could go a bit less with a few more things.... this is my daily rider... I hammer it on the streets around town, jumping down stairs and ledges 2-4 feet high, and don't worry about parts breaking period.... It hauls butt on singletrack, beating you up a bit, as aluminum does, but handles really well... It's fast, wheelies well, and is light enough to race anyday... Buy one at a discount if possible, the shop I worked at was selling these for $749 for quite a while..... that's a hell of a deal, even in stock form.... GO JAMIS!!!
Buy this if: You're looking for an upgrade or an entry level bike to race with
Don't buy this if: You enjoy being like everyone else, and riding a big name bike

Similar Products Used: GT Rebound - for over 4 years and about 700 miles of trail use
Tomer Nobel   Weekend Warrior [Mar 21, 2003]
Strength:

Very balanced bike,nice specs, good geometery,the Manitou Skareb Comp is sweet, I like the Xtreme suspension seatpost though it was unfamiliar to me.

Hutchinson Mosquito tires don't feet the Israeli desert.
Mavic X139 rims.

Jamis doing it again- a great value for the money without cuting corners with any of the components. You get a strong frame that climbs very well and will fit any XC racer.

Similar Products Used: Giant atx890
Dave Carney   Cross Country Rider [Jul 25, 2003]
Strength:

This bike is incredible for those who want to get into biking and racing, the seat suspension as even saved me a few times believe it or not. this bike does great in the climbs.

im thinking about axing the mosquitos and putting something with a little better traction but other than that this bike is great

This bike has great components, a great fork, and a great frame that allows you to step into racing and not be a step behind! The good folks at holiday cycles treated me real well too!

Similar Products Used: stumpjumper from '92 i think
dagfink   Cross Country Rider [Oct 12, 2004]

This is my second review. I have now ridden this bike for two years, and I'm still very happy with it. Some comments, though.

It's still a very good bike, good choice of components, high quality frame, good fork etc. It's a good climber w a nice geometry. But I had to play around a lot before I found the right riding position. This is something that takes a while. The stock stem is too long. The frame is pretty compact, so I had to go for an 19", even though I should be between the 17" and 19". Now I have a short stem (90mm) and riser handlebars, plus I've moved some of the spacer rings around the fork. The result is a semi-racey riding position. But it still works on hairy singletrack.

Aluminium beats you up, but I'm still happy.

logan flores   Downhiller [Jan 01, 2008]
Strength:

wonderfull bike, put throught the worse for hard core cross to dirt jumping and street all mountain freeride, bombproof fram good bike for starters or racers. incredible

for cross country nothing

this bike took everything i dealt out and its still standing wonderfull bike full of capability, for those saying you need suspention to be hard core, its all in the landing land soft and this bike will treat you well, pushed it past what it was built for and its still here, awsome buy it

Similar Products Used: jamis ureka, rockhopper
John Weathers   Weekend Warrior [Nov 26, 2007]
Strength:

Reliability and durability. I've been riding this bike exclusively for 10 years now.

None that I've encountered.

I've been riding this bike for 10 years and it is still going strong. I used to race with it occasionally but now I mostly just ride for fun on the weekends. It's taken a beating over the years and has little to show for it except for some chips in the clearcoat finish. I'd recommend a Jamis bike to anyone, unless you like getting a new bike every year because you won't need to replace this one for a long time. I'm also glad to see they've come down in price. I paid almost $1200 for my Dakota AL back in '97.

Similar Products Used: Used to ride a Cannondale but it doesn't compare to my Jamis.