Haro Escape 8.2 2003 Hardtail

Haro Escape 8.2 2003 Hardtail

[Dec 25, 2010]
Krakatowa
Downhiller

Strength:

The bike is very light to spite the looks of it. very solid construction nice stock equipment all around good bike.

I realy don't have much bad to say about it. The only thing is that i got my bike around 2003 it's now 2010, and its a bit heavy for the times.... I kind of like a heavy bike for what i do and i find the older bike hold up better.

If you want a quality bike at a starter price then get a haro 8.2 or 8.3. you can find them used for around $200-$800. Nothing wrong with building a used bike. I have had my 8.2 for many years i launch this thing off jumps, drop offs, years of hard riding. This is my go to bike when i find jump, trail, drop off i would like to conker my haro is what i reach for first. I must say i nothing on my bike is original the only thing that lasted was the frame.

O' forget about it

[Jul 17, 2003]
Xavier
Downhiller

Strength:

Great frame, storng fork, handlebars, derailers, shifters brakes,tires

seat is hard grips wear down fast and thats about it.

the bike is a tank u couldn't ask for much more. the bike is built great the green is awesome. I am really suprised at the price I mean its a great bike. you should buy this bike if u a are hardcore rider.

hardrock pro, escape 8.1, gary fisher tassahara.

[Jun 22, 2003]
Paz

Strength:

Super strong frame, no flex, great head turner and conversation peice.

Seat, looks good but...

Ya gotta love it !! Good for just about everything. I ride cross country, and a bit of downhill on the weekends then ride it to work all week. My wife rides an 8.1. What else can I say. For the price, you can not get a better bike. I looked for 6-8 months, Specialized, Trek, Kona, you name them. Bang for buck, Haro is the wat to go.

[Jun 20, 2003]
Mike Giardine

Strength:

this bike is a tank. By far and away the toughest frame and component set you will ever come across for the money. I did my research, and this bike delivered. I eat the dirt, and the bike comes away like a champ. The frame is ridiculous! All components are comp. ready. The shock is a champ. I ride five star trails 3-4 times a week and this bike makes it a joy.

It needs to be tuned after the first 30 days. You stretch the cables and make it fit you

I used to ride strictly TREK. This bike leaves all other competitors in the dirt. It is bigger, faster, and stronger than anything you will come across for the money. I did the research. Hats off to the guys at Haro. They know how to satisfy the customer. I am 6'3", 230 lbs, and this bike just shrugs it off. The 19.5 frame is bigger than most. So if you want to test yourself on huge jumps and technical haggard backwoods crap, do yourself a favor and invest in this bike. You won't be disapointed.

Mongoose, TREK, Giant, and Cannondale

[Jun 18, 2003]
Marc Robertson
Downhiller

Strength:

Product strenghts, hmm. Everything is rocking IMO. Its componients are all crazy thick and stout.

The 8.2 is (like described else where) very balanced bike from geometry to over all componient group.

First thing I found very impressive was the stiffness. You pedal, it goes with little to know flex, very responsive.

I hear a lot about the pedals and fork. But personally the shock is stout and sure will meet my needs. The pedals are my first set of concav's so we'll just have to see with more use if they end up "useless".

Out the box I was really impressed. I've worked as a bike mechanic for 6 years and this bike is flat out bad ass. I've never felt confident with the strength of any of the 7 MTB's i've owed so far, until now.

This is my first real freeride/MTX bike. My previous bikes that were morphed into a eurban/trail banger never did preform. The cannondale f800 (cadd 4) ended up with a broken frame, the trek 8200 was trash from the beginning (terrible geometry). Save yourself some time and get one of these 8.2's if you plan on putting your MTB through less than ordinary riding, don't even bother upgrading or converting your current MTB.

Im 6'1" and went with the 15.5. Yeah I know, small eh. Well i'm not planning to put in saddle time, but pedal time so I opt with the 15.5 to handle and feel more like a jumper.

You get what you pay for and more with this bike. I've had 2 haro's (jumpers) before and again Haro delievers.

Cannon F800, Trek 8200

[Jun 16, 2003]
steven

Strength:

overall great bike for price, beats a lot of the competition away

none yet,

i like it a lot. you can buy another brand name bike for about 300 more and have the same stuff.

cannondale f900

[Jun 11, 2003]
Daniel Armstrong
Downhiller

Strength:

Beef.....very good components for the price.....lighter than it looks.....well balanced

The fork is less than desirable, but i can work with it.....the paint scheme sucks (they ran out of the army green, so i had to settle for the silver and blue), but i'll prolly have it repainted in a few months.....seat.....pedals

Buy this bike!....it's well worth the money spent.....very beefy, with good geometry, this bike can take it all.....i'm gonna beat the crap out of it, break the fork (if i can), so i'll feel justified in spending the money on a better one......

not for winning races, but a good all around bike, does everything well enough for 800 dollars

btw, weight spec is 31.5 lbs stock

Specialized P.2 (with a stock EXR Comp, and a DJ3), Kona Stuff

[May 29, 2003]
Lenny
Downhiller

Strength:

The Marz Bomber EXR is a really nice fork. It is able to take all the things I throw at it when I broke it in. The brakes are awsome. I was going up a hill in my neighbor hood and I wanted to see how good I wanted see how good my front brake is so I pulled the lever. I went over the handle bars at like 2 mph!!! Shifts great. Well and to many other things.

Needs a bash guard and a chain guard

This bike is the bomb. My little brother got a P.2 at the same time as I got mine. Mine climbs better, the brakes are better, it has the same fork though. But I never jumped much before I got this bike. But I am now hitting small jumps.
The only problem is that it needs a bash guard and chain guard. I was on a ride and I put on my clipless cuz it was mostly up hill. So I hit a little jump over a mud puddle and I hit the ground after the jump and the chain came off. I was trying to peddle but it wasnt on the chain ring in the front. I was used to flat peddles so i tried to pull up off the peddles and I crashed. My elbow was smashed to peices and my knee was too. When I got home I had the clean off all the mud and blood off my bike. BUT IT WAS WORTH IT!!!
Buy this bike if you plan to freeride and downhill cuz this bike is a beast.

P.2 and Hard rock

[Mar 02, 2004]
bikeman007

Strength:

solid frame, great geometry, decent components, looks

stock shocks are below par

This bike rocks. Replace the shocks to one of your choice (if you are a serious rider), and you are all set. The bike gives a feeling of solidity, everything is burly without being too heavy. I do mostly xc and urban stuff, and commuting now and then. This bike has held up well, and I will highly recommend it, especially if you are on a budget. I have not come across a reputed name brand with the cost/quality advantage of this bike.

all kinds of mtbs

[Feb 14, 2003]
D. McNeill

Strength:

Frame - Beefy is a bit of an understatement. There's plenty of meat on this one. The rear drop-outs and hydro guides for the rear brake are a nice touch. It should hold up to years of abuse.
Brakes - Avid disc brakes are every bit as good as everyone says, even with 6" rotors and ordinary Promax levers.
Tyres - I like 'em but they are the skinniest 2.35's I've ever seen. More like 2.1's really. On the trails around here they stick like crap to a fluffy blanket.

Forks - The EXR Comp's will get the job done but won't blow you away with their performance. A bit stiff at first but they get better (sort of). They are good for jumps and drops though.
Pedals - Grip is pretty good with the right shoes but the bearings felt awful right out of the box. One side was too tight, the other was all sloppy and you can't adjust them either. Chuck 'em.
Hubs - Rear needed a bit of adjustment to remove some play in the bearings but it was nothing too major.
Paint - A bit average in places but the frame will soon be covered in mud and scratches anyway.

A great bike for the price. At $1450 (Aust. dollars, ~$850 US) not much else came close. It's perfect for the freeride, dirt jump and odd bit of XC riding that I do. The 17.5" frame is perfect for me at 6'1". The bike motors uphill very well for a 15kg ride. You won't win any races but it won't make you cry either. Downhill is alway more fun and this bike doesn't disappoint. It shines on trails with a few jumps and drops (just don't forget that it's no V-10). The Avid discs are great and with some better levers and a 7 or 8" front rotor they'd be hard to beat. No squeal in the wet either, bonus!
The only thing really holding this bike back a bit is the basic EXR Comp forks. They're not awful, they're just not that inspiring. They have no damping and after riding Z1's for a few years they feel a bit ordinary. They're good for medium to big hits because they are so stiff, but they refuse to soak up the small trail chatter. Could be because I only weigh 75kg's (~145 lbs). I added 20ml of fork oil to each leg (a pseudo oil bath if you like) to keep the bushings lubed and this made a big difference. Rebound is a bit wild but you get that when coil springs have no damping. Upgrade the forks to a good 5" single crown (Vanilla, Z1, Sherman etc.) and this bike will rip. If you like Rock Shox Psylo XC's then perhaps you should get the Escape 8.3. I'm not a fan of Psylos and I planned to upgrade the EXR forks anyway so I saved some cash and got the 8.2
In stock trim this is a great freeride hardtail for the money. Upgrade the fork, pedals and brake levers this bike would be pretty hard to beat.
Time for a ride methinks!

Giant, GT and Kona freeride hardtails.