Giant XtC 1 2003 Hardtail

XtC 1

Chris Ledvina   Cross Country Rider [Jun 05, 2003]
Strength:

Light, stiff, looks great

This is a great XC hardtail. I planned on adding old components to this frame and ended up going overboard, replaicng almmost all of the old stuff. However, its a great bike, and I made it even better, so its all good. Fast, light, cuts into turns really well. The frame's tubes do seem a little thin, but thats why its so light, and there is seemingly no flex, especially under hard acceleration, which is perhaps the bike's best feature. If you want a great hardtail, look no further. As a complete bike, the XTC1 is a little expensive, but if you can find a frame (or buy the XTC2), its a great value as well.

Similar Products Used: GT; Schwinn;
Aaron Nathan   Racer [Sep 26, 2003]
Strength:

This is the most incredible frame ever. Period. SUPER light, rigid, and looks incredible. With an XTR drivetrain, you're in heaven.

Everyone stares.

I had the 97' XTC SE1 and rode the sh**t out of it, to the point where the frame cracked below the bottom bracket on some trials riding. I got this frame FREE from giant on the warantee in less than one week, and I was amazed to see the NEW 2003 XTC 1 in the shop!

I've ridden things i couldn't dream of riding before, and the nice rigid frame makes the drivetrain work perfectly. I can downhill with the DS rig guys on our team, and laugh all the way! If you don't have cash, buy this bike frame on ebay, if you do, go buy a full kit NOW!

Similar Products Used: Giant XTC SE1 (1997), Klein Pulse Comp (96), Gary Fisher Xcalibur, Baracudda BONeZ (really old)
Pete Hall   Racer [Apr 15, 2003]
Strength:

Light, fast, great componetry, great frame, not overpriced

Saddle just didnt work with me(so i switched it, no problem)

This is one fast bike, for one good price. Only from Giant could you get a full XTR kit, Crossmax UST wheels, SID Team fork w/ the remote lockout, a full Titec cockpit, all on a sweet looking bat out of hell fast frame for under $3300. I love the bike, it handles very well at speed, especially in twisty singletrack. Out of corners the bike accelerates very nicely but is still easy to control without problems. In a nutshell, this is one fast, quick, easy to control at speed bike, with a great componetry package. The hardtail is definetly not dead.

Similar Products Used: 01 Specialized Stumpjumper Pro, 00 Cannondale F3000
Jon Kimball   Racer [Apr 10, 2003]
Strength:

Super stiff in climbing. light wieght but very strong thanks to giants new fluid form frames. it can also take a beating(5-8ft)drops and dirt jumps. look awsome!

THIS IS THE ULTAMITE DO EVERY THING BIKE. IT IS A FASY XC RACING BIKE OR YOU CAN ROCK THE 4X TRACK. I'VE EVEN KEPT UP WITH FULL-SUSPENSONS ON THE DOWNHILL COURSE. IT WAS THE BEST MONEY I EVER SPENT FOR THE FUNNEST BIKE ON THE TRAIL. IF YOU ARE A RIDER WHO LIKES ALITTLE OF EVERTHIN BUT CAN'T AFFORD 2+ BIKES THIS IS THE PERFECT BIKE FOR YOU.

Similar Products Used: KHS comp st, 01 AC AIR
Orlando Rodríguez   Cross Country Rider [Feb 25, 2003]
Strength:

Light weight, price, colors, geomtry, etc . . .

None so far, maybe a bit too noisy

This is one grat frame, so far the best I have riden (including my friends bikes), very maneauverable and handy, climbs like a goat and if you are in a hurry it can get you down very fast without a scratch. This is some piece of work Giant has done. Bottom line: if you can, then buy one, you won´t regreat it!

Similar Products Used: genric alum hardtail, smith ultralight
Adam Trimble   Racer [Apr 03, 2003]
Strength:

Super light, beautiful paint job, great combonation of components

SID/Crossmax front end combo is VERY flexy. Is any hardtail worth $4000 cdn? It makes my friend jealous!!

THIS IS AN ACTUAL REVIEW OF THE WHOLE BIKE NOT JUST THE FRAME!!!

I have only had a chance to ride around my neighbourhood on this bike as the weather has been pretty bad. I don't want to take it out in the snow, salt and muck. The new XTR is great. I was worried about getting used to the new style of shifting but is seems quite natural and very precise. The fork is pretty good (we'll see how long it lasts, are you listening RockShox?)It was very easy to set up and with the Blackbox lockout the fork can be set softer to get full use of the travel and still be able to climb and sprint. The wheels are nice and light but the front wheel is VERY flexy. I am 168lbs and every corner (left or right)I take, the wheel flexes enough to rub the brake(yes it is adjusted properly). I have never ridden a better tire than the Hutchinson Python, so it was an added bonus not to have to go out and get new tires with a new bike. The frame it self is flex free and beautiful it fits me quite well. As I said I haven't got to do any sustained climbing but it accelerates better than any other bike I have ridden. I will post again once I have had a little more riding time on it.

For a value rating I have a hard time saying any bike is good value for $4000 Cdn. But if there ever were a hardtail that was worth that it would be this one.

Potential buyers beware. This is a racing XC bike! Don't buy this bike and expect to freeride or take 4 foot drop offs. If someone were to try and use it like this they might get 3 rides out of it. It is a fast, harsh, XC racer that isn't exceptionally comfortable. It will, however, get you to the finish line faster.

Similar Products Used: Gary Fisher Supercaliber, Specialized Stumpjumper M4, Trek 9.8
larry   Cross Country Rider [Jan 20, 2003]
Strength:

Weight,it's stiff,the RIDE!!,looks,price

I don't know were to begin,first the ride is awesome,little roots and rocks i felt though my old frame are gone.When you pedal every stroke is turned into power,this frame just goes.uphill and down.Downhill is the real surprise,this frame moves.It rides great and feels so solid under you

I the got the bike as a frame and built it up.For $350.00 you can't go wrong.I was going to spend big bucks on a titanium frame,then i saw the XTC frame>I could not be more thrilled with the preformance,this is one great hardtail!!!
And who says the hardtail is dead?NOT ME
If your looking for a top hardtail frame and like to ride singletrack and fast as you can this is the bike

Similar Products Used: G.T frame/ Agreesor
David Garcia   Cross Country Rider [Dec 28, 2002]
Strength:

Frame color/Everything about this Biike. Welding is Superb.
Frame is Super-Light/Bomb proof.

Cant't find one.

This Bike kicks some serious arse.If you can't win on this Bike you can't blame the Bike..The XTC1 is super fast. great on climbs and will take you down the steepest hills with great confidence..Beutiful welding and color/Super light Frame
Go out and buy you one.

Similar Products Used: none
Matt   Cross Country Rider [Sep 18, 2003]
Strength:

Very light bike. Seems to have a strong frame and can get moving fast in a hurry.

Not too good on fast bumpy downhill descents. Only because it does not absorb bumps very well. A seat post shock may help.

This bike is a great value for the dollar. I purchased the frame and built up with XT components. This bike rode well on the Chequamegon 40 mile cross-country race. Climbed the uphills very easily. I would upgrade to a SID fork and add a seat post shock to make this an all around great cross-country bike.

Micha³   Cross Country Rider [Jul 27, 2005]
Strength:

stiff,fast,great geometry,lightweight

didnt find

I wanted to upgrade my previous bike and I bought this frame at a local giant shop.the frame was so awsome that i decided to build a new bike on it.i have one bike and i use it for offroad trips,xc racing,riding in my city and mountains.i have two wheelsets and two forks.
my bike climbs like a goat and descents well too.because the frame is very stiff the comfort is not big.i use wide rear tire to improve it.

if You want an allround hardtail this frame is for You!