Giant Iguana 2003 Hardtail

Giant Iguana 2003 Hardtail

[Jan 25, 2012]
MTBCanuck

Strength:

Light weight, wicked strong MX-2s, EXR fork, Deore

Had some issues with the BB and cranks

Absolutely love ripping on this bike. Solid right out of the box.

Gary Fisher, Specialized, you name it, I've owned it.

[Aug 01, 2010]
jenny200

I bought this bike for $75.00 and it was in good shape. 5 years later I'm headed for KMC in Germany & everyone says there are plenty of bike trails and to take the bike. My question is, how much would be reasonable to rejuvenate for a very novice rider?

[May 27, 2010]
Captainkanji

Strength:

Nice frame. Excellent front shocks, although I,m not sure if they are original. They work well, even in sub freezing weather. My Giant Rincon shocks stop working below freezing.

Crappy stock pedals (I bought the bike used), replaced them right away. Chain guard was completely broken off when I purchased. Had to get some Ankle biters :p

I bought this bike used. It looks like it saw some heavy use before I purchased it, but It's still an excellent bike for the price. Even used, it was a nice upgrade from my Rincon. Shifting can be troublesome when it hits below 20 degrees, but that's to be expected lol. I use this for my main transportation to work, even in winter. I highly recommend this for anyone looking for a quality entry level bike.

Giant Rincon for a spare

[Feb 28, 2010]
theOldestCraze

Strength:

Durable, Reliable, Hidden Strengths, Ignorable

I have used this bike to ride to work and back, and have discovered local trails. This is my "go-to" bike for unfamiliar routes. I have learned the basics of off-road biking without belittling my equipment.

[May 03, 2009]
Newprophet

Strength:

Strong Aluminum-Magnesium frame, very good brakes, generally sturdy components.

Stock tires and weight (compared to newer bikes)

This was my first real mountain bike that I got 5 years ago and today it still one of my best bikes. Apart from the parts I wore out from overuse, (tires, BB and front shock) this bike has been a champ and rides like a dream. I would strongly recommend this bike to anyone new to mountain biking who wants to keep their bike for a long time.

'05 GT Avalanche 2.0 Disc

[Mar 14, 2009]
jpvieau

Strength:

Durable, easy riding, minimal repairs

A little on the heavy side, but I knew what I was buying.

I have had this Iguana since 1990. It sat for a few years due to other interests. Been back with it the past 3 seasons. The parts are stock except for a new derailer, which was rusted. (stored in a garage for the winter). Takes alot of abuse off road. Added a bike rack with Topeak MDX Quick Trac bag so I can take cold beer on the rides. A little heavy, but aren't all bikes too heavy when you ride uphill on dirt trails?? I'd recommend as a great entry level bike that has held up well.

[Aug 19, 2003]
Rod

Strength:

Solid Frame, Deore Component Group

Bottom Bracket, Crank, Tires

Overall a solid beginner/intermediate bike. I have nearly 1000 miles on the bike and have had no major issues exluding the BB. Frame is worthy of upgrading and after a season of experience under your belt you'll see what I mean. Didn't take me long to out grow the front fork at all. Get some experience, build your confidence and you'll learn to hate that stock fork. This will be my next upgrade.

This bike can get you out riding without braking your bank. Your not going to run with $2000 bikes and guys that have been riding for 5-6 years, but this bike is a good start and you won't spend $50 in repairs at the local bike shop everytime out.

[Jun 13, 2003]
Andrew Colvin

Strength:

very, very nice frame, like the feeling, feels natural when u ride it

components, but im reviewing the bike, not just the components, and u can upgrade over time. Frame scratches, but doesnt comprimise speed

very nice bike, worth while buying it, then upgrading it. The frame is awesome, and its worth putting money into it. Buy this bike, but if u can, go with another, higher up giant (xtc, nrs)

[Jun 09, 2003]
chris again!!!!

Strength:

awesome frame... strong rims.... i did some hard riding at grapevine and didnt have any problems with the bike.. a huge selection of gears to choose from to carry yourself up a steep hill or race back down the hill

read other peoples weakness review... i havnt had and so far... except me as the rider

i have one word that suits this bike best for the money....... AWESOME!!!

raleigh m80/60

[Jun 06, 2003]
Rey

Strength:

The price, frame strength, color scheme.

Crank, cassette, and standard tires (Hutchinson Mosquitos).

This is an awesome bike for the price. The upgrade possibilities are endless for this 27 speed. I'm a bike patrol cop and this bike stands up to the test (I prefer it over my patrol bike/the Trek Fuel 90). El Paso area trails are very unforgiving, but this bike has held up to aggressive daily trail riding. If you want to start off modestly in terms of pricing (limited budget)...do the Giant Iguana. You can always improve on the stock setup a little at a time. The "Once Yellow" color scheme is a winner. This is one "Bad Ass" hardtail!!!

Trek and Cannondale.