Gary Fisher X-Caliber 29 2003 Hardtail

Gary Fisher X-Caliber 29 2003 Hardtail

[Feb 16, 2003]
steven salkowski

Strength:

good out standing frame for a fisher supercaliper I have a 1997 acid green with sid blue triangle frame 26" wheels

when I built my bike i had no clue what the size of the bottom bracket was took a chance on it they shoulds tell it some were

fisher bikes are the best its what you do to them that make it I,m thinking of A new one soon they say at they rollover things better then 26" wheels also made in wisconsin too
at the trek plant in waterloo wi.

xt there about the same cost less but works just as good as xtr

[Feb 05, 2004]
Jesse Swift

Strength:

Two-Niner is a great idea. Much faster than a 26". Overall very cool to have a bike that's different from all the rest. Cool paint job. Great for long Epic rides. I am able to put on 700 X 38C tires and ride long distances on the road with much comfort. I pass even the road bike weenies. The Gary Fisher/Trek ZR900 Double Butted Aluminum frame (best they have to offer).

Wheels, Crank, BB, Seatpost, Bar are all much heavier than the industry standard. You can get a much lighter bike with a 26" and better components at the same price. The crank and BB are really cheap. Right now, my bike weighs about 30lbs. Not exactly race worthy. Because of more momentum with the larger wheels, I went through brake pads like crazy before I switched to Discs. Be carefull, WARNING!!!! This BIKE can be very hard to upgrade. Still very cool, but it is hard to find parts for a 29iner. There just is very little selection of parts such as tires, forks, wheelsets, etc... that are made for 29iner bikes. This makes the bike and parts more expensive too. Pedal Clearance is minimal when you try and put on those slick road tires. I have dragged my pedals on the ground several times. Also, be carefull with the seatpost. The seatpost is too small for the frame on mine. There is no gap on the frame when the clamp is tight, and even then the post tends to sink when I hit bumps. Need to make some adjustments. The hubs are cheap as well. I have already repacked the bearings three times. This is not a sealed bearing Hub, despite what the salesman tells you.

I am 6ft 170lbs. I ride hard and often. Normally I ride between 30 and 40 miles a week. I have ridden 600 miles plus on this bike on and off road on all kinds of varied conditions. If I had the choice of going back I would have gone with either the paragon 29, or the M-Tam simply because the components are soooooo much better.

This bike is heavy (approximately 29-30lbs). I believe its due to Bontrager's bottom of the line wheelset, seatpost, handlebar, and stem. However they are very strong. But, the racelite series is soooo much lighter and would reduce the weight on this bike by 2-4 lbs or more. More weight means slower acceleration, but more momentum (P=MV, or for the non science majors - Momentum = Mass X Velocity).

This is a introductory level Two-Niner bike. If you plan on doing a lot of riding, go with a higher quality model. It is well worth it for the better components!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Jul 22, 2003]
David Lee

Strength:

Strong and responsive bike; stable ride; very efficient given the 700c wheels; handles bumps, rocks, and gullies very well.

A bit heavy given overall size. On my last ride on notice the derailleur clicking a bit too much when I shifted to the highest ratio; perhaps it just needs minor adjustments. otherwise it works smoothly. A bit harder to do wheelies given the larger size of the bike.

Good all around bike for general riding on and off the mountain. It's a hard tail so I would not take on the worst trails and bumps, that will be my next bike. I'm happy w/ the 29" wheels which make the ride more efficient and smooth over whatever I take the bike on. I think any caliber rider would be happy w/ this bike. I also bought the bike w/ the potential of using it on the road given it's size. I'll let you know my results after I get an extra set of thinner road wheels/tires. Good value given what is offered and the overall performance.

[Oct 02, 2003]
G. Man

Strength:

This bike rocks! It's got a great frame, solid components, and climbs over everything!

The paintwork is a little easy to scratch, but that gives the bike character.

This is a great 29" setup for the price. After I test rode it, I had to buy a 29". My pals on the trail all wanna get ahold of one too coz it flies by them when I'm coasting, and it goes over all the stuff 26ers get stuck on.

Also, my x-cal fell off my rear mounted car rack when I was going 60mph, and it was fine, except for a bent handlebar! All the components was working and there wasn't a scratch on the frame!!! Amazing! Don't try it though!

GT Timberline, Trek 7000

[Nov 10, 2003]
Daniel

Strength:

29'', frame

Wont sometimes go to the highest hear, easily fixed with minor adjustments. Can feel abit heavy if you are used to less than 29''

Overall I am loving this bike. I could not have made a better choice. Trying out lots of bikes I found out that I loved the 29'' size. The equipment are very good.

I crashed into a car once with this bike and the bike was all fine (except some scraped of paint), Hmm but I was not, but it's not me I am reviewing, right? :)

Trek

[Nov 05, 2005]
Curtis

Strength:

Twenty nine inch wheels, genesis geometry

Boring black paintjob. Fisher's used to have cool paintjobs. What happened?

First ride on a Niner, and I'm now a believer. Everything they say is true. This is no featherwieght bike, but it is fast, fast, fast. Climbs fast. Descends fast. Rolls over all but the craziest obstacles... fast. Does take some getting used to though. Needs a healthier tug on the bars to get it to turn in the tight stuff. And it feels big and lumbering at slow speeds. The Jones tires looked lame but stuck like glue. Ride before you decide. If it doesn't feel right, you're not pedaling fast enough... Recommend to any speed demons NOT planning on racing in Indiana ;)

Cannondale F800

[Jun 19, 2004]
Sean

Strength:

Rolls over stuff good, nice soft ride, feels very stable. Nice frame for the price.

Heavy handle bars and stem, lowend cranks. Only a few forks work with this bike. Also although the frame feels light the wheels are quite heavy. Bike weighs 30lbs

It certainly feels different to ride. I got a killer deal on it through my racing team, almost half price, so I couldn't pass that up. It climbs like nothing I've ever had before.

Trek hardtail, Redline monocog, Cannodale f1000