Gary Fisher Marlin 2003 Hardtail

Gary Fisher Marlin 2003 Hardtail

[Sep 19, 2009]
GFAthens

Strength:

G2 Geometry is hugely confidence- inspiring and excellent for taller riders. Price, especially when getting a 2009 right before the '10's (Simple paint job change) came out. Components clearly aren't going to be the best on the trail, but are a great value at this price point.

Front derailleur, tires are a bit heavy but the tread is pretty solid.

Bottom line, this bike is excellent for beginner to intermediate XC riders. The gearing is awesome and is made for hill domination. The G2 geometry will change the way you bike, this bike has excellent torque and high speed stability but is truly astounding when turning, tracking and at low speeds. The '09 black paintjob is classic and sporty on the trail or the street. The frame is also almost identical to much higher priced Fishers (HKEK) so that this bike will be able to grow with new riders.

[Aug 29, 2008]
schneidie
Downhiller

Strength:

weight, good geometry for cross country, price

Frame strength, front fork, entire driveline, no durability.

This bike is horrible for anything more than light off road use. I break the driveline every time i ride, the frame is bent badly, the bike has been maintained well, but it lacks the structural strength to hold up under freeride or all mountain situations. Good for a beginner.

Kona Coilair, Felt Redemption 2, GT Avalanche 3.0, old diamondback

[Aug 17, 2003]
Trevor

Strength:

all around a descent bike for an intermediate level rider.
the genesis geomatry.
all aluminum frame.
deore components.
alexrims (the've been put throw the ringer and haven't even warped yet)
and deore hydraulic disc barkes.
sram 7.0 powerglide 2.

crankset and bottom bracket are pure garbage, the bottom braket alone ways at least a pound and the crankset i wont even go their. like every one else says the alivio front deraulier should only be used on department store bikes. the stock tires leave me fighting for trackion on every thing except pavement.

a very good buy for a wana be pro rider on a tight buget.
but if you are looking for a solid ride up grades are needed.

i have road my friends stump jumper FSR full suspension and cheap bike shop bikes like velo sport and mountain lite.

[Aug 18, 2003]
Dylan

Strength:

This is my second post on this bike. It's a great bike to start with. The geometry fits me well (5'8"/ 180#) so I upgraded the components. Upgrade as your budget allows. I ride almost everyday and put approx 125 miles /wk. Made in the USA....none of this Taiwan sh*t.

Stock derailers suck ass. Seat is a torture devise and the drive train falls apart after approx 500. After all my upgrades, I couldn't ask for a nicer bike.If you ride only on weekends, the stock stuff should last a long time. I ride alot and decided to upgrade. Even if I bought it as is (bike shop price)I would have paid at least $2500. Shop around for upgrades, Pricepoint, Beyond Bikes, Cambria, Jenson...you'll find what you want.

I've put some dough into this bike. I wore down much of the junk stock components after about 500 miles. I like the frame. Stiff, light, nice paint and good geometry....climbs like a monkey. I do all kinds of riding, single track, intermediate downhill, fireroads, streets and anything else. The frame alone is worth the $$. People always stop me to see the bike. This was a great purchase.

First Mtn bike....always rode a road bike

[Jul 05, 2003]
michael crawford

Strength:

The only thing this bike has going for it is the Geometry of the frame. Genisis is great! Frame has held up to pretty hard abuse considering it's alluminum.

One word:Junk! This is the biggist piece of garbage I have ever ridden. The fork broke after the first two months(not GF's Fault,Manitou) The crank bolts wouldn't stay tight and the front DER sucks! The rear... won't even go there... The hub crapped out after the first ride. Warrantied...lasted another month...I didn't even bother from there..... and the cassette wansn't worth the stuff it was made of... missed shifts and terrible hill climbing gears. The rear deraileur performed.. ahhh...never... and the wheels were heavy and never stayed tru. Seat!!! Aweful!! Replaced the first day. Test road the bike and the thing felt like a granny seat. The factory installed outer housings from brake lines for the shifting cables!!! Poor QC. Heavy!!!Terrible paint job too.. looks like something out of a comic book. The grips.. these things are so aggrivating... they started coming apart after a week.

If I could get my money back and invest in something else I would immediately!! If you want a quality bike try the trek 8500 from their website. Great price and set up right. I have pretty much replaced everything on this bike inside of three months and now it's finally starting to ride worth a damn. I still have a few bugs to work out... and then... I'm gonna unload it to any poor sucker that likes the brand. The only thing left stock is the damn frame!!! I am completely un-impressed with GF and I'm definately gonna stay away from them in the future..

only thing I've used that I would place in this category is the Huffy I used to ride as a kid $99.00 junk
Better products..Anything...Yeti Ht,trek 8500 HT, El Fama Race HT,Blackcat HT, Gt HT,Specialized M4 HT, Trek 4500 HT

[Aug 24, 2003]
Chase B.

Strength:

great bike for.... EVERYTHING!!!!

seat is alittle rough.

great bike i love it

[Aug 21, 2003]
mojo
Downhiller

Strength:

this bike has a very good front forks, its great for the trail and climbs up hills great. this bike is deffiantly worth its price.

the seat is alittle hard and thats just about it.

Bottom line is that this bike is great for just about anything. if your looking for a bike for under $500 this is deffiantly the one. i have nothing else to say except this bike is great.

--non--

[Aug 21, 2003]
Richard Gracie

Strength:

Great geometry handles really well, Tough survived a crash or two, Nice paint job, Well priced for what you get

A bit on the heavy side, Standard disk brake pads are a joke. Wheels have needed trueing
Needs upgrading to get the best from it

An excellent hardtail with great handling. Genesis geometry is superb, don't have to worry about endoing into a tree. Bought the bike with Deore Hydraulic Brakes which are great now I've changed the frankly bollocks standard ones. The Manitou Six fork is in need of an upgrade and so is the relatively heavy crankset. But overall a great bike for anyone who wants to start more serious riding. it will take what ever you throw at it.

Giant Boulder hardtail

[Aug 23, 2003]
Eric Weeks

Strength:

I love the front Fork, and the derailures i love too...and the genesis dezine rocks ass

None that i know of yet!

I love this bike....I have to drag my dad out of the house every weekend to ride with him. But usuallly most days i go ride by myself. This bike is great for a person who has a buget under 500...i would certainly recommend it.

I had a GT saddleback(1999) but thats all

[Jun 25, 2003]
Aaron King

Strength:

Great Entry level bike. Lightweight. Genesis Geometry makes hill climbing a breeze!

Replace Seat ASAP.

I was looking for something to ride around town and to school for lack of $ being a college student. I previously rode a GT Aggressor 2.0 that wasnt mine and i fell in love with it. i was looking for something similar and got some advice to go with this bike. It rides very much the same and is great for what i use it for. Although ive never ridden anything more expensive or higher quality i would recommend this bike to anyone that wants a good entry level mt bike for recreation or just getting around. it definity outdoes my Huffy ive owned since i was 15!

GT Aggressor 2.0