Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo 2003 Hardtail

Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo 2003 Hardtail

[Jul 16, 2003]
Rich

Strength:

Frame, Wheels, Shock

Tires, Saddle

Wow! This is my first new bike in 12 years. I literally wore out my Rockhopper, so I looked at a new one. Didn't like it. Rode a few others, and didn't really look at Fisher because of the reputation, I thought they would be too expensive. I finally did seriously look at the Fisher, and I am so glad I did. I love the Genesis geometry; I feel more in control, and not as over the front wheel like on the Rockhopper. (Just like Gary intended!) I love the shock, but I may put in a stiffer spring. I am 200lbs, and even at full preload, it is still too squishy. I traded the clipless for toe clip pedals, and like the guy before me, bought a Serfas men's saddle. Whoo. Much better. Sure, I'm no breakneck racer, but I also don't pretend to be like so many other bikers I have seen. I have had to alter the way I ride significantly: I am now towing my son in a trailer. No more jumping rocks, or stumps without having to give thought to the little guy behind me. That's OK, it makes me go slower so I don't leave my wife behind anymore when we ride. My previous bike had 21 gears, the Hoo Koo has 27. It really helps for climbing. (Especially since I am now pulling an additional 40 pounds.) I would seriously recommend this bike for intermediate riders who want to do dirt and pavement riding. The Hoo Koo doesn't try to be a racer's bike, because it ain't. Consider this: when you buy a bike, you are likely to have it for 5-8 years before getting a new one. Don't buy a $400 crapper to save money. You'll hate it. It won't ride, shift, or brake as well as a better bike. Do you buy the cheapest car on the lot because it is the cheapest, or do you buy the one with the goodies on it you like? I thought so. Learn to pay for it. You will enjoy the R.O.I. If you don't know what that is, go buy the $400 bike!

Specialized Rockhopper, Giant Rainier, Trek 6700

[Jul 11, 2003]
Mark Motto

Strength:

The frame is bullet proof. Gary Fisher's gold series American made aluminum frame is rock solid. The components, when adjusted properly, worked well.

The seat was a little to hard for my kiester, I opted for a
Serfas anatomical seat....ahhhh much better! The bike is not exactly a light-weight machine.

The Hoo Koo E Koo (affectionately known as the Hoochie-coochie) is a solid bike for the price. I got a smokin'deal on this one at the Cycle Cave (I recommend this shop.) For riding X/C, hardpack or as an urban warrior, this bike is
bomb proof. I woudln't try it on serious down-hill. I think
the frame could handle it fine but aggressive down-hilllers
may need a more advanced ride. For beginner to intermediate
level riders this is alot of "bang for the buck" The Manitou
shock worked well for my size/weight 5' 8" 160# I had to replace the seat...its just too hard for longer rides. The Serfas seats work great for about 25 bucks. I also opted out of the clipless pedals for std ones. Make sure your shop sets up the bike and componentry properly. Some folks have had trouble with the brakes but I have not experienced this. I ride 80-100 miles per week on pavement, hard-pack trails and some X/C.
Small jumps are a blast. I liked the Giant xtc2 just a tad better but it was almost 250 bucks more. The Paint on the 2003 HKEK is pretty cool too. Overall, for just under 700 dollars, I couldn't find a better machine and a lifetime warranty on the frame to boot!

Trek 6000, Giant XTC2

[Aug 27, 2003]
J Bogner

Strength:

2004 upgrades are great: Platinum series tubing, Bontrager crank, XT rear derailleur, Bontrager Maverick rims, Shimano 420 V-Brakes, Rockshox Pilot SL fork. Nice silver and black color scheme.

The usual- seat, tires, etc., are just OK. Not totally sold on the new custom-like Fisher lettering.

Get the new 2004 model over the 2003. The upgrades are pretty incredible- like getting a Big Sur at the Hoo Koo E Koo price. The frame upgrade alone would have made it worth it, but the new fork seals the deal and everything else is just gravy.

Bought a Fisher HK2 back in like '91 and rode it until it was stolen in '99. Just now replacing it with this one...

[May 26, 2003]
Terry

Strength:

Nice XC bike. Nice upper-mid-range components. Have had it 3 months and it hasn't been truly tested yet, I need to make some time to ride!!

Not a big fan of the tires, switching to Bontrager Revolt SS.

This is a great bike for beginner to intermediate. Not sure how it will handle DH. After riding a crappy bike for a while, decided to upgrade. Feels like a cadillac. Riding mostly on hardpack and pavement five times a week. The hardtail is a good fit for me. Can't wait to get to some trails to see what it can really do. Shifts great, handles great. This bike screammmss take me out, right now! Would give it 5 chilis for value, but the bike shop here has a monopoly and they charged retail.

Old Trek 800. Old Pacific. Niether are in the same ballpark as my HKEK. Tried an old GF Joshua, but full suspension is not what I need in this area right now.

[Sep 17, 2003]
John

Strength:

Price, quality of construction, looks

Seat

The bottom line is this: This is a great bike for almost anyone. When I was younger I always felt I "needed" the lightest and newest out there. This bike is pretty old-school, cantilever brakes, hardtail, and it suits me, and I suspect would most people, fine. It shifts well, the riding posture is comfortable.

It is a little on the heavy side, but not obnoxiously so. The Manitou Axel Comp fork has been much maligned by other reviewers, but seems to work well for me, & I weigh 185-200lbs. I have no worries about how this bike will hold up over the long haul. Everything is solid, if not state of the art.

Seats are tricky. The Titec Ithys seat that came with this bike and I never got along. It looks nice, but I found it uncomfortable. But seats are personal, so this is nothing to hold against the bike itself.

If you are looking for a bike to "get back in the swing of things", and your budget is sub $1000, check out the HKEK. I think you are better off with this bike than with a Tassajara Disc. I really don't need or want disc brakes and would rather see that dough go in to a better frame/fork/components. Plus the Tassajaras have crazy paint schemes that seem to give them a department store look.

Various Cannondales over the years;

[Nov 29, 2003]
Stephanie

Strength:

Genesis geometry...puts you in that desired "weight over the back wheel" position...something I could not do easily with my old Marin Palisades Trail. Much easier to maneuver also. Comes with clipless pedals--stock, so I didn't have to shell out another $50 on top of the cost of the bike.

Came with V-brakes! Why is the Tassajara offered from GF with discs, while the HKEK isn't? This was an upgrade I had to have from my Marin, so I had to bite the bullet and add them on, plus new rims on top of it.

I haven't experienced any of the seat discomfort other folks have mentioned. Let me clarify that I'm reviewing the '03, not the '04. This bike fits me much better than my Marin (the Marin was a 17" and the HKEK is a 15.5"--lets just say that back in 2001 when I didn't know much about biking, a local shop sold me the Marin which was obviously too big for me...I am only 5'4" and had about 1/4" of standover clearance, but what the heck did I know at the time? Needless to say, I don't patronize that shop anymore!) I feel like I have a lot of control over the bike, and that it's well-balanced, although I still am trying to get used to how easily the front end pulls up during steep climbs. With the addition of the discs, this bike is really awesome and was a great upgrade for me. I've only ridden hardtails, and this one was in the right price range (around $1000 once I had it modified to suit my needs). I'm not interested in dual-suspension bikes, and I honestly ride the same (if not better) than many folks who have the dualies. Bottom line--quality and good price for the componentry package.

2001 Marin Palisades Trail (hardtail)

[Apr 20, 2003]
Pancho Brown

Strength:

Good value for a XC bike. Lovely ride. Not too heavy. Climbs well with heavier rider. They make an XS frame for those of us under 5'3" hooray.

Seat post QR is dreadful. Chuck it and use a non quick release one.

I am having sooooooo much fun on this thing. I will clearly be a long time riding this before I reach it's "top end".

rode the GF Marlin. I have plenty of experience with many cyclocross bikes. Also a decade of experience with road bikes (mine are Marinoni 49cm customs)

[Apr 15, 2003]
Trent
Downhiller

Strength:

Axel fork, decent components, frame

Price, not the greatest paint, saddle, chain suck, no disc option

Not a bad bike at all, Fishers 03 lineup is very interesting. They seem to be big on the 29 inch tires when you move up above the HKEK until the Sugars. I am just a bigger fan of the 26 inch tires.
For anyone looking at purchasing this bike I would recommend it. However, first I would recommend the Tassajara disc for a little cheaper. I have a friend who owns one and I actually prefer it which makes me mad. It looks better, rides as good, and of course has the Hayes disc brakes. Sure the fork isn't quite as good but overall I think its a better deal.

02 Fisher Sur, Trek 4900, 03 Fisher Tassajara Disc, Fisher Joshua x4

[Apr 16, 2004]
Jonathan M

Strength:

Price, confort, quality of construction, looks, genesis geometry,.....

Brake levers and V-Brake system.

This is my first Gary Fisher bike and i'm very happy of my hoo koo e koo, He works great all time. Buy it if your budget is 1000$ you don't regreat your decision.
My Hoo Koo e Koo is simply BEST...

Gary Fisher Tassajara,

[May 26, 2006]
Jeff Edman

Strength:

Just purchased this bike today. Trek took this bike and stripped it down and swapped out the fork with a Manitou Black Platinum, and put a new crankset on. Don't know what they are called, but they are new lightweight bontagers. Upgraded derailer to deore xl, and the main reason why I purchased the bike, bontager ultra lite race rims, which are worth supposedly $800.

No disc brakes! I was going to swap them for teh v-brakes, but I would have to get rid of my lovely rims, and am i really that stupid to get rid of $800 rims for $300 heavier rims? We'll see how i deal without discs. Always wanted them. Anybody out there think they are that much worth it? Please let me know

I got tehis bike cause of the low price. I guess I'll let you guys know how i like it in the next couple weeks.

GT Agressor, Trek Fuel, Trek 6500 and 6700 disc, gary fisher big sur, jamis dakota