Gary Fisher Big Sur GS 2003 Hardtail

Big Sur GS

Holly Beaman   Weekend Warrior [May 16, 2003]
Strength:

-Decent sized frame and bike which actually fits small people for once.

-Saddle is well designed and comfortable

-Up spec'd from Trek rival as the Duke fork is equiped with U-Turn on this bike

- Genisister seems to work and stem is real diddy for nifty trail moves

-quite light

-IRC tires aregood and fast rolling treads

- Some ?s as to if componenty is that women specific e.g the Serfas grips are very thick and hard to get a palm around

-Some componenty seemed downgraded from stock e,g it came with a alvio crankset on £1000 bike when expected bonty kit
brake levers also have a cheap feel at the lever

-I am not convinced that Gary hasnt just repainted last years frame as designs have come on quite a bit of late and this is a bit 'tired' for example it has no internal headset or !disk mounts! also rear chainstays could proberly be down sized on smaller sizes to reduced trail vibration. Come on Gary Cannodale upgrade yearly or more often

- I think by buying a women specific price you pay a premium e.g the stock compnenty is worse than on say a Dawes team mtb which costs some £350 less!!! ok the frame may be more butted but I am not sure it is £350 worth better.

-Some spec choices short sighted e.g it lack disk hub so upgrading to discs a costly experiance

THis bike is a great fit for small women who have been overlooked in the past, this is a bike designed for you - thanks Gary

Genesister geometry gives bik some sparkle

You have to be prepared to pay a bit of a premium to get a women specific bike and stump up a bit more £ at the cash register.

Gary next year can we have:

disk mounts
disc specific wheels,
smaller diameter grips,
An updated platinum frame
Uprated spec or lowered price

Similar Products Used: Stock alu hardtail
Meredith   Cross Country Rider [Oct 07, 2003]
Strength:

Geometry is great-- definitely a noticeable difference from the other bikes I tried out. I hopped on a friend's Specialized Rockhopper and it instantly felt wrong. The short top tube really helps with control. Good components, but I also upgraded the front derailleur to XT. Saddle is pretty good but my butt starts to hurt after loooong rides. Nice tires and wheel set-up. Having the brake levers close for my girl hands is super nice.

The fork was originally a major plus to me, but now that I've upgraded to a Fox that locks out, I see the lack of a lock out as a major disadvantage of the Duke XC. Being able to adjust the fork is a novelty but it gets a little old after a while, but then again, turning up the travel is never too much of a problem if you're going to be stopping to lower your seat for the downhill.
Also, the bike's a bit heavy for what I'd expect for a women's hardtail (definitely light compared to a full suspension though).

I bought the bike as a fairly new rider, but it has been able to grow with me. As my skills have progressed significantly, the bike continues to impress me.
The bike's pretty darn nice for the price, but I'd definitely upgrade to XT, XT. Otherwise, I have yet to be unhappy. The handling is great, it takes corners well and has been able to handle anything I've slung at it so far.
The Fox fork is a BIG upgrade (obviously) that brings the bike close to the cushy-ness of a full suspension, but unfortunately, it's still a hardtail (which is nice, but not as nice as a full susp.). Before I switched out, the Duke XC did the job just fine and even carried me through the craziness of Downieville.

Bottom line: Great medium to high-end hardtail for chicks that love dirt. Beats the socks off any middle of the road ($600-700) bike. Spend the extra $300, it's worth it.

Similar Products Used: Trek 8000, Klein Attitude
Jessi   Cross Country Rider [Apr 22, 2003]
Strength:

A bike that fits me! Larger frame, so a longer wheel base which means more stability, esp. when downhilling.

Kindof wish the fork had lock out, but oh well. Better yet, I wish it was a scareb. Oh well again. Flat handlebars.

I love this bike so far--they've managed to make the top tube shorter for gals but maintain a longer wheelbase, making the bike more secure when zipping downhill. Also, the stem is much shorter (75mm!) which is kind of hard to get used to at first. I have to be more gentle in my maneuvering, but I think I'm starting to like the baby stem. I'll probably switch the flat bars out for risers. The bike is also much lighter than my old one (maybe about 24 pounds?). The women's medium (17.5") frame does not come with shorter cranks, which is fine unless you have really small feet, and I don't. The only prob--this bike doesn't set my heart aflutter like a full sus might. Overall, though, it's a superb hardtail at a great price, sized to fit XX.