Diamondback Response 2003 Hardtail

foxone   Weekend Warrior [Jul 22, 2009]
Strength:

Easy to use and adjust.

Rear rim is horrible, mine broke twice in the first month. Also the shifters aren't the best.

This bike is ok for very light use. Anything more than a flat dirt trail is almost too much. I've ridden on trails with small roots and logs and the bike can't handle these small obstacles. As I've said, the rear rim on my bike has bent twice, and was covered by warranty once. I would not recommend this bike to anybody who wants to go out and ride without problems, save your money for a better bike.

Similar Products Used: The usual Wal-Mart bikes and a Haro hardtail
southpass   Weekend Warrior [Jan 13, 2009]
Strength:

Frame

Rear shifter

I REALLY like this frame. The stock RST Gila Fork was VERY stiff. I have replaced it with a RockShox Uturn Coil. The Frame fits me very well. I rode a bunch of bikes and finally settled on this frame for me. I will be upgrading components when factory components wear out. The frame is a little heavier but it gives me a good workout. Great bike for the money.

Similar Products Used: Fisher
Sebastien Windal   Cross Country Rider [Jul 04, 2003]
Strength:

I was going to say price but looks like other people reviewing it got it for much cheaper than me... Damned Sport Chalet.

Good bike. Good quality for the price.
If you are a beginner or if like me you are mainly cross country riding but want a bike able to handle more serious stuff once in a while, you will probably be very happy with it.

MaC   Weekend Warrior [Aug 25, 2003]
Strength:

Solid frame, takes a beating, good shifters, good braking power

RockShox are a little shaky, brake grips are flimsy

Solid starter bike. Takes one hell of a beating, no probs w/ derrailer, no probs w/braking, no probs w/shifting w/ exception of uphill downshifting...weak rear spring, taken me thru a year worth of jumps, crashes, messed landings etc...never had to replace rims or any other parts...not one bit of damage to the frame even after 500+miles of downhill & cross country use. Decne tbike for the price

Similar Products Used: Diamiondback Topanga Comp, Dean USA Scout XTR
Joshua Kennedy   Cross Country Rider [Jun 24, 2003]
Strength:

Obviously the price. It also boasts a stout frame, and is pretty solid for a cheap bike.

Eh, low end Alivio derailleurs. I think the brake levers suck, they feel all wobbly. The front chocks could be smoother.

I got rid of the pedals and seatpost on day one. I like clip pedals. The bike comes with a 300mm post, but for me to get 4" standover, I needed a longer post. On goes a RockShox suspension post. The stock seat sucks too. I'll be putting on a Love Seat. I don't care for the brake levers a bit, they feel weak, but have not broken yet. V brakes grip like its cool tho, real good stopping power. The drive train shifted well. The rapid fire shifters were right on, and I have had no problems with shifting, but if you are pedaling hard uphill forget a downshift, weak spring on the rear as well. What do you get for your money? You get a pretty stout bike with acceptable components that you can just upgrade as you wear stuff out. For the money, you can't beat it. This is a greta starter bike that you can customize as skills improve, a good daily rider, or a bad weather basher.

Tim Gutierrez   Weekend Warrior [Aug 26, 2003]
Strength:

Brut bike. The price! Heavy frame which is cool when going downhill and pretty good "out of the box" components.

Kind of too heavy when taking a slow turn. I ride with my 5 year old daughter on the street most of the time, and waiting for her to cross the street and making slow turns to shield her from cars is hard to negotiate.

It's a cool bike to cruise around the street with if you're not into road bikes. Stops on a dime and I had a blast out on the trail. The bike performed well and I didn't have one single problem. Uphill is a good work-out because the bike is a little heavy, but when going downhill, that weight benefits you because it keeps you planted to the ground! I'd take a chance on saying it performed just as good, if not better than my buddies bike which is a Specialized Rockhopper. Twice, his chain popped off when going uphill.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Hardrock - I had a lot of problems with the derailer and the rear gear shifter. I finally threw it away because I didn't want to sink more money into it.
a b   Weekend Warrior [Jun 20, 2003]
Strength:

Good beginner bike

Good beginner bike, great value

This bike was great for me to get into the sport. I hadn't ridden a bike in 3 years then picked it right back up with this. Now that I learned how to ride again I'm looking for something that can do more. I built it up a little to push it a ltttle further, but now i want dual suspension. I put good beginner bike for weakness and strength because you lean quick but are still looking for more. But thats what i get for getting a department store bike. Great value though.