Cannondale F300 2003 Hardtail

Elvis   Weekend Warrior [Sep 24, 2010]
Strength:

Lightweight, good geometry -- stable at speed, handles well turning, no twitch out of the saddle, good gloss black paint job, smooth finished welds

Older model (late 90's) does not have replaceable derailer hanger for rear gears, stock bars and stem were crap, grip shift is junk (but easily replaced from the parts bin). Also, those smooth welds, which look sleek but could if not done right lead to cracks eventually.

A light and responsive and very cool looking frame. An older F-300, it had rather blah and unimpressive stock parts, but when you have shoeboxes full of old parts, that is easily remedied. No real vices here, or fatal flaws, except that with Cannondales it pays to keep an eye on the frame. I have heard stories of frame failure or cracking, typically around the headtube. As I got mine second hand I made sure to check that out real good, no problems. I can't see what's under the paint, but from what I could tell and how it feels in motion, this is a well made frame at least as good as others at the price (according to old data I saw it was over $500 new).

I would say, if you can find one, get it, provided the frame looks sound. The newer ones are rather cool too, but the late 90's, in my opinion, shine. When this thing popped up I snagged it, and have not been disappointed. You won't be either.

Similar Products Used: Trek 4500 set up as single speed mtb, another cannondale with headshock (red white and blue edition), etc.
ferreter   Cross Country Rider [Aug 04, 2010]
Strength:

Everything, I'm 6'6" and 15 stone (210lbs) & its an 18"frame (cant get me on a modern compact in that size). I bought the bike in 99 after breaking 2 Trek's, a GT & a rockhopper. I commute everyday 10miles and it goes out every other weekend with me and has done for 10 years. It spent 3 years in the back yard without any cover. I've long since replaced all the parts but the frame is the Ninja of them all. I will not get rid of this frame.... Ever.

Absolutely nothing at all!

Bottom line is, if you come across one of these frames, get it! They dont make them like this anymore!

Similar Products Used: Specialised rockhopper, Kona, Cube & GT
carey   Weekend Warrior [Feb 22, 2009]

great bike

Joe   Cross Country Rider [Jun 11, 2003]
Strength:

I weigh 155 and the fork works great for me i know that a lot of other people complain about the softness of the fork but the fork has bottom out bumpers so its not going to die from bottoming out and yes i do ride aggresively, it shifts smooth, the seat is bulky but soft, easy to bunny hop on

brakes are a bit weak, peddles are cheap i tore through them in about 3 months, its not too light if you wanna race its about ,30 pounds.

its a pretty nifty bike for starting out but i've ridden it off 7 foot drops, rock gardens, and over trees and its held up pretty well. You should get this bike if your a begginer but dont be afraid to race on it even if you dont do so well. I wouldn't buy this bike if your going to free ride

Similar Products Used: specialized rock hopper, specialized fsr enduro
Josh   Weekend Warrior [Jun 03, 2003]
Strength:

Great frame, light! Sharp looking, responsive.

Manitou AXEL Comp fork is very soft, Stock seat is for grandma butts.

Bought into it for the frame. So far I love it, except for the very soft shocks in the front fork. Have inquired with Manitou about an upgraded spring set... Probably not for the guy who beats the heck out of his bikes. Very solid ride otherwise. Responsive in tight trails - point and shoot. Been a while since I rode, so nice re-introduction. Must ride often, so my wife will let me upgrade components...

Similar Products Used: Raleigh, Giant, Trek - Similar Mid $500 price range
Tommy   Weekend Warrior [Aug 05, 2007]
Strength:

Great frame, some good components. Frame holds up well under a 200+ pound man.

Some of the components ar not that great. The brakes and shifters stink. The shock is low end too. But, on the other hand, they all work for my style of riding.

This was an excellent entry level bike in its day for anyone who rides casually. Components can easily be upgraded as they fail, but none have on my F300 thus far. Not a good bike for someone in the intermediate or advanced stages of the sport, just beginners. Great value for the price, and the Handmade In America sticker is nice, too.

Similar Products Used: None, this was my first suspension bike.
Tom Baker   Weekend Warrior [Jul 09, 2007]
Strength:

Good price, nice frame. Made In USA.

Have yet to break anything.

Bought this bike in 2003, but only just recently (2007) have I started trail riding. I do some beginner trails near my home and have a blast with this bike. I read here the components are lacking in quality, but I have yet to break anything on this bike. The one complaint I do have is after trail riding a few times I feel like the stock seat is a little too big. Dont know why, I usually like a more comfortable seat. Anyway, good bike for the money, looks cool, too.

craig peet   Weekend Warrior [Jun 06, 2007]
Strength:

Wife liked it. it's hers. Nice gift.The paint seems to be very durable,stickers stay on very well. The tires are a very strong rubber. Reflectors are very shiny, make you wanna say " wow, there bright"!

It could of been a little cheaper. I bought it from a friend.

I LIKE IT MUCHO

Similar Products Used: cars, trucks, a plane ride. Basically anything that moves.
JASON BREHM   Weekend Warrior [Feb 13, 2003]
Strength:

FRAME CONFIGURATION IS GREAT, GOOD GEOMETRY DESCENT COMPONENTS, LOOKS GREAT.

FOR THE MONEY, NONE

FOR THE MONEY THIS BIKE CANNOT BE BEAT. BOUGHT FOR MY WIFE AS A TRAIL RIDER, THIS BIKE SERVES THAT PURPOSE EXCELLENT. THE COMPONENT PACKAGE FOR THIS PRICE RANGE IS GREAT AND HOLDS UP WELL FOR LIGHT TO MODERATE TRAIL RIDING. NO COMPLAINTS

Similar Products Used: TREK 4100 DISC, TREK BRUISER, GF TASSAJARA,
Peter   Cross Country Rider [Jan 14, 2004]
Strength:

Good frame, Cannondale name, exceptional geometry, "Handmade in the USA".

Soft fork, slightly weak components for price (ie. drivetrain and brakes).

The Cannondale F300 is an excellent first (true) mountain bike for the cross country rider (no, it is not a freeride bike, and I pray for those who want it to be). I rode an old rigid Raleigh before this, and moving to the F300 was a dream. I had tried a few bikes before this, and the F300 had the best geometry of the main ones I test drove (Iguana and Hardrock). It definitely has a more aggressive stance than a lot of the other similarily price bikes. Not surprising considering the CAAD 2 frame used was on some of Cannondale's higher range bikes only 3 or 4 years ago (F1000 I believe).

Slightly disappointing is the Manitou Axel Comp fork which tends to be very soft and a pain to do a travel conversion with. I know this can be modified through a stiffer spring-set, but alas, as a poor student, I have been unable to purchase one. It does do a fine job though nonetheless. Just a bit too soft for personal preference (hey, coming from rigid, soft is cool). Some components are also slightly below the quality expected from Cannondale. The most concerning would be the brakes, which work sufficiently, but the cost to add, say, Avids to the bike would be minimal and worth the extra bit of money. the drivetrain is slightly below par but that is easily upgradeable. The stock saddle is somewhat ridiculous. I didn't even know the original was like what it was until I saw the specs on their website. Bow Cycle replaced it before the bike was sold to me (now with a much more suitable SDG saddle).

The bike though has performed excellently for me though, whether I am hitting some technical singletrack or the local roads, in sun, rain or snow. My concerns are minimal, and definitely do not overshadow the benefits of owning the "Handmade in the USA" bike.

So, it gets 4 flamin' chilis for value because the components should be slightly better, and 5 for overall, because it's such a great bike.