Cannondale Bad Boy 1FG HeadShok 2003 Hardtail

Bad Boy 1FG HeadShok

John Ross   Cross Country Rider [Jun 12, 2003]
Strength:

Headshock fork is very rigid and allows predictable cornering "on rails". A very light frame that can climb surprisingly well for a mono cog. I love this bike. It is quick and nimble in tight twisty singletrack.

Some questions on durability for me. After the second ride the eccentic had slipped a little causing the chain to be a little too slack. Eccentric adjustment screw difficult to get to. Problem was solved by putting an extractor bolt on the crank mount enabling me to remove the crank assy to tighten the eccentec bolt fully. On the third ride one of the four crank bolts fell out during a ride and I waffled the front chainring pretty badly and had to get a warranty replacement.

Sweet little ride. I have fun every time I hit the trails on it. A bit pricey for a mono cog but I still don't regret buying it. I give it 4 flaming chilis only due to the few mechanical issues I've had with it.

Randy   Cross Country Rider [Jun 11, 2003]
Strength:

Great components for the price of the bike.
Smooth ride.
Headshok lockout easily reached.
Great singletrack geometry.

Headshok noisy but doesn't flex.

Bike weighs 22lbs as described above. The aluminum Optimo frame rides smoother than the cromoly Bianchi SISS frame I rode. Accelerates quickly and brakes even faster.

Very easily maintained and adjusted. Get a t-handled 4mm ball-end hex wrench to adjust the eccentric bottom bracket (EBB). The first time you adjust the EBB you will need to back out the 4mm bolt as far as you can then whack the handle of the hex wrench with a wooden block. Repeat several times until the bolt loosens. After that the 4mm bolt backs out very easily.

I haven't ridden a bike that is more fun to ride than the 1FG and only a few that ride as well. I think it is a great ride for someone who is in very good physical shape, regardless of their bicycling experience.

Similar Products Used: Bianchi SISS
David   Weekend Warrior [Nov 15, 2003]
Strength:

Looks great,the overall finish is unique,the headshock has just the right amount of travel, the the light weight of this bike makes it easy to whip it thru tight single tracks and climbing is relatively easy for a single speed. The disc brakes work really well in all conditions.I love riding this bike!

A little noisy under hard pedaling,the chain seems to loosen up more freqently than I like, I will have to try the recomendations that some of the other reviewers have mentioned

I love this bike, it has been worth the money. I went shopping for a full suspension for under a grand,and when I saw this Cannondale I knew it was for me,even not knowing a thing about single speeds. I have been very happy with my choice, the simplicity of riding and maintaining this bike make me feel like I will never go back to multispeed bike. Once the chain loosening is resolved- I beleive the overall design and setup of the 1fg headshock is Great!

Similar Products Used: Schwinn Mesa
Tur Kish   Cross Country Rider [May 12, 2003]
Strength:

Great frame. Lockout HeadShock, vertical dropouts and disc brakes allow for quick rear wheel release which is nice when you have to fix a flat... Super quite and super stiff.

Pricy but worth it.

Amazing bike. Worth every dollar Can’t get enough of it. I use it as a road bike in Manhattan.

The frame is stiff and responsive while the HeadShock provides comfort with these terrible city pot holes. The lockout feature on the HeadShock provides extra stiffness and turns the bike into a true all around rigid.

The TruVatiV ISIS bottom bracket is easy to work with and adds to the clean look of the bike. That combined with the vertical dropouts, the Avid Mechanical disc brakes, and quick release skewers makes wheel extraction a snap.

The raw frame color is cool and clean, especially with the smoothed out welding. This bike is awesome!

Similar Products Used: Cannondale '02 Scalple 1000, '99 Super-V Raven.
Tim   Weekend Warrior [Jul 25, 2003]
Strength:

Stealth look, good frame, sensible component choice, light, bombproof feel, hydraulic discs, easy lockout, fast. Exactly what a fast commuter bike should be.

Pricey, feels a little slow accelerating. Big chainring should be bigger.

This bike's setup is ideal for fast, aggressive, larger commuters. The Headshok absorbs bumps and saves wheels while being relatively low maintenance. The 700x23 wheels are fast but strong (though time will tell). But the capper is the Hayes hydraulic discs, which are in my opinion indispensable on all bikes in the coming years, save low-end and road racing bikes. Less wheel truing, low maintenance, unaffected by weather and with near-perfect modulation. Think of the high upfront cost as allowing you to avoid the coming obsolescence of bikes without hydraulics.

Similar Products Used: Marin Mill Valley, Trek 1220, Jamis Coda Elite.
MATT ZIMMERMAN   Weekend Warrior [Mar 03, 2003]
Strength:

GREAT LIGHTWEIGHT VIRTUALLY MAINTENANCE FREE PERFORMER. NO DERAILLER OR SUSPENSION PROBLEMS TO CONTEND WITH. ALL HUBS, LOWER BRACKET, HEADSET, AND PEDALS ARE SEALED FOR ALL WEATHER RIDING WITH NO MAINTENANCE.

NONE

SUPER FUN BIKE THAT ENABLES ONE (GENERATION X-ERS) TO RELIVE THOSE NASTALGIC MOMENTS OF THE PAST WHEN RIDING WAS ABOUT GETTING AIRBORN ON A SIMPLE LOW MAINTENANCE BMX BIKE. ITS NICE NOT TO HAVE TO PERFECTLY OIL AND ADJUST GEARS, DERAILLERS, ETC. JUST TO GO FOR A RIDE. MUCH LIGHTER AND MORE POWERFUL THAN OTHER MTN BIKES AVAILABLE. OVERALL A MUCH MORE EXCITING RIDE AND BETTER WORKOUT ON A SINGLE SPEED. I ALWAYS KNEW I WANTED TO BUILD ONE JUST RECENTLY REALIZED I WASNT THE ONLY ONE... THANKS CANNONDALE

Similar Products Used: DIAMOND BACK CONVENTIONAL MTN BIKE, XTR GRIP SHIP, MANITOU SUSPENSION FORK, CANNONDALE R500 RD BIKE, GT BMX, ETC.
Bart   Cross Country Rider [Mar 12, 2003]
Strength:

Light, HeadShok, Stiff frame, Great componet specs. This is the first bike I purchased that I did not want to change components!

None. Although, get the shop to show you how to adjust the chain the first time. Better safe than sorry.

A blast to ride all the way around, my hardtail is pissed. The bike is very quite on the trail due to fact it has no chain slap. Great workout and if you fall behind you have a reason. I tried to build a SS by picking a frame and components and could not come cloes to the price or components of the FG1. If you have the cash get one, you will not be disappointed.