Airborne Lancaster 2003 Hardtail

Lancaster

For 2002 Airborne introduces its latest Titanium hard tail, maintaining our high standards of impeccable craftsmanship and consumer value. The Lancaster incorporates integrated options for either disc brakes or V type, classic Airborne geometry and braze-on features galore. (Four sizes available in High Lust Polish: 14, 16, 18, and 20")

Neil   Weekend Warrior [Jun 13, 2003]
Strength:

Weight, looks, and quality of finish

More of a feature than a weakness, it has a very short seat-tube so you will need a good quality seatpost - I got the Airborne Ti one and it suits the bike very well.

I think this bike has the makings of a classic. Don't be put off by the apparently strange sizings, I am 5'8" and a 16" fits me perfectly although I would normally go for 17" or 18". Use the Airborne sizing charts and you will be right. You do end up with a lot of seatpost showing so get a good one, the Airborne Ti is the obvious choice. The net result is a bike that is very agile when the going gets rough but is still stable a speed. It's light and will last forever aswell. You can't go wrong

Aiborne downplay the finish quality of this bike in favour of the more expensive bikes, but really how much quality do you need? This one looks pretty special.

If you're in the market for a top-end hardtail, put this one on your shortlist.

Hell, I even quite like the decals.

Braveheart   Cross Country Rider [Jun 06, 2003]
Strength:

Strength, weight (or lack of it, should I say), lovely damped Titanium feel, quality of build and finish. Excellent Airborne customer service. Price much lower than certain competitors.

The decals tend to chip off, but with a new set for $20 from Airborne, guess whose bike willl still look like new in 10 years?

This frame's ride and handling are superb. The Titanium soaks up so much of the rough stuff, without any loss of power transfer. It inspires a level of confidence I've never felt on any other hardtail, and it handles the steepest clims and descents with equal ease. If you're in the market for a new agressive XC hardtail, and you've got the cash, then look no further.

Similar Products Used: Klein, Kona
Paul   Weekend Warrior [Feb 01, 2006]
Strength:

Handling (don't think, just point it and go), looks, timeless

None that are really important, ground clearance could be a bit more but now the center of gravity stays low which is an advantage as far as handling is concerned.

This bike suits me very well, from the first ride on I liked it. Steering is a good compromise of agility and stability. Feels secure, does exactly wat you want it to do.
Because the frame is long for its height I use a riserbar which gives a little bit of extra control in the tight stuff. The frame is not too heavy, weighs around 1.6 kg for a 16".
If you're looking for a sporty hardtail this frame is definitely worth considering.
I'd surely recommend the Lancaster to a friend. He'd have to buy a new one though because I'm not selling this one! :-)

Similar Products Used: Marin Pine Mountain/XT, No name alu/XT, Cannondale SuperV/X9
Neil Bailie   Cross Country Rider [May 07, 2003]
Strength:

Fantastic sprung titanium feel, excellent overall handling, great power delivery and climbing ability, top notch build quality, unbeatable price and service.

Stickers easily damaged, no disc cable routing to rear wheel, can feel a little sketchy on tight twisty stuff and very steep downhills due to the long top tube (not enough to have you off though)

This bike is fantastic for aggressive XC. The titanium ride quality is stunning compared to both steel and aluminium. The Fisher Genesis-style elongated top tube / short rear triangle generally works very well, especially when mated to a short stem. It can feel slightly clumsy in tight twisty stuff on on very steep downhills but not enough to put you off doing them. Compared to Specialised's top of the line S-works M5 I've noticed very little difference in the handling characteristics but the difference in the ride quality is night and day - the titanium Lancaster feeling sprung and alive whilst the aluminium M5 feels like it's made of concrete. I'm very happy I bought it.

Similar Products Used: Specialised S-works M5, Kona Lavadome,
Joseph Schlau   Cross Country Rider [May 23, 2005]
Strength:

I previously submitted a review for my 2001 Lancaster. Unfortunately a weld broke near the top of the seat tube. I called Airborne and returned the frame. Within 3 weeks I received a brand new 2005 frame. The 100% guarantee was honored without question.

When the frame was returned, there was a warning to make sure the bottom ot the seat tube is below the junction of the top tube and seat stays. There was no such warning on the 2001 model and this may have contributed to the failure of the weld as I have had the seat post in different positions depending on the intended use of the bike. In any case they honored their warranty as they stated they would.

I am always reserved when I see a 100% warranty on any product. In this case Airborne came through as they stated they would. They are a firm which can be trusted.

Brian   Racer [Mar 11, 2003]
Strength:

Great geometry. Lively feel. Long wheel base. Price. Customer Service.

Cable routing. Decals chipping off in some areas. Decal design.

I am a racer and I built up this frame for that reason. The great thing about Airborne, and the fact that I work at a shop, is that I was able to build up a race worthy bike without having to starve myself(I am a poor college student). The first real test for my bike was 24 Hours of Nine Mile, in which I was very pleased with the bikes ride and handling. Second was last fall's collegiate mountain bike season. I found that the bike handled even the steepest climbs wonderfully and was just as solid on the way down. The bike is Alive with out being twitchy and solid with out being dead. If you are a rider or racer on a budget, this bike should be seriously considered. Nothing matches the feeling of a solid Titanium frame. Even if you can afford more expensive, this frame is still worth a look.

Joseph Schlau   Cross Country Rider [Aug 08, 2004]
Strength:

Their titanium frame is excellent to build up a custom bike for multiple purposes, which I did. Customer service was helpful to select the right frame for my purpose. While it is a basic mountain bike, the titanium frame in combination with the Manitou Black fork soaks up road bumps. 90% of the time it is used for all season commuting in Illinois. The Titanium frame is worry free from road salt corrosion. Like the 100% guarantee, the 30 day examination, and the option to recertify the frame for resale (with warranty carried to the new owner) 50% crash guarantee if you "crash" and damage your bike.

After 3 years and 6000 miles, I am still waiting to find one. I am now in the process of replacing the original components but the frame (with the exception of some decals) looks as good as the day it arrived. Replacement decals in double sets are available for $20.

Only minus for me, the frame is made in China not USA. Assembled bikes can be labled as made in USA.

Give the products at Airborne a look. Excellent product with excellent customer service. Customer service and ordering was easy. The 30 day inspection option relieved any anxiety about internet buying. There are now some dealers. They have an interesting web site.

While no single bike can serve all purposes perfectly, the Airborn Lancaster has allowed me to use one bike for all season commuting, touring and long distance trips.