Tomac 98 Special 2003 Full Suspension

Bill   [Aug 21, 2003]
Strength:

This bike handles a variety of situations very well. The suspension design works great for me, no lockout but no need for it. I'm a strong uphill rider, and I've noticed no discernable bob while in the middle ring on tough grinds. I have noticed substantial hookup from a properly designed suspension that stays active at all times, under high chain tension and while braking. Workmanship seems good thus far. I have the large which has a bent top tube for additional clearance, thank you John. I demo'd an Epic just the other day and I much prefer the type of ride that my Tomac yields, much more plush going down and only slightly more sluggish going up. The Black Elite that somehow came on my bike is great, in 3" travel the bike loves to leap and climb, in 4" mode it just eats up gnarly descents and rock gardens. And, the fork is stiffer than my old Marzochhi Z2 Atom Race ever dreamt of being. One more thing, the stock seat is amazing; I don't know who is building it for Tomac but it works great.

IMHO, the use of a 31.6mm seat tube is a bit of a draw back, only since 27.2mm is so much more commonplace.

It's a poor man's Racer X, same suspension design, almost identical point-and-shoot handling qualities. This bike suits the needs of anyone looking for an affordable XC dualie that's is well built and well thought out at the same time. A great epic machine, can't wait to take it to Moab.

Similar Products Used: Klein Adept Comp, Mrazek BohFX, Sandvik ti hardtail, demo'd lots of the usual suspects, although I've yet to ride a Santa Cruz, like to try that sometime.
Andy   Cross Country Rider [Dec 02, 2006]
Strength:

great bike for xc riding, takes tech. trails well and dh sections as well.

brake lines are placed in weird area causing exsecive wear on the frame

this bike is great for xc riding, it takes technical sections well. turning is excellent. very light. only problem is if you break a frame, can't get another tomac since tomac doesn't own the rights of the bikes.

Randy   Cross Country Rider [May 01, 2004]
Strength:

Beautifully made frame, great supension w/very little bob, stable point & shoot handling, great on descents

Doesn't climb steep terrain very well, could be lighter, BB creak, some cheap componentry, no lockout on R. shock

Great bike for the price I paid. Black Comp fork works reasonably well and is stiff. Rear susp. is very efficient and although active all the time, no issues with bob. 4 inches of travel seems more than adequate with a 100mm up front. Would be nice to have a lockout on long climbs though. I chose it for the long top tube and great ergonomics (v. similar to the Jekyll). You feel like your riding in the bike rather than perched on it. Very smooth, stable ride and super confident on descents. Climbs long, gradual uphills like a goat but front-end wanders badly on slow, steep grinds (relaxed geometry?). Difficult to get your weight forward for grinding up hills and standing up doesn't help (R. breaks loose, new WTB tires may help here). Some cost saving in componentry choices but you wouldn't know it by riding it, feels very smooth and integrated. Tomac brand stuff is decent (seat is quite good). Around here, it seems like 70% of bikes are Specialized so nice to have a unique ride. BTW: I'm 5'10 - 155lbs and ride aggressive XC, no hucking, etc. I've read spme review where breakage is a prob. but my frame seems v. beefy and welds are beautifully executed. Iin fact that I assumed it was american-made since Supergo takes the "made in Taiwan" stickers off!
Value ratingbelow is for sale price I got. Have fun, ride hard.

Similar Products Used: Stumpy FSR, Sugar 3+, Jekyll 600
Mirko   Cross Country Rider [Jun 03, 2005]
Strength:

Great Geometry on the frame. Awesome climber. I love the Manitou Black fork. It eats up the rocks and is not too plush on climbs. Just perfect.

Some of the components could be better. Hard to get weight forward on steep climbs. (Installed bar ends that solved the problem)

For the $700 I paid at Preownedbikes.com this is a hell of a bike. I used to ride a hard tail and there is no comparison. It truly put the joy back into riding. Preownedbikes.com is an outstanding place to get a bike. Great customer service and the bike looked and feels like brand new.

Similar Products Used: None
Kim   Weekend Warrior [Feb 27, 2008]
Strength:

It's very pretty and decent components for the price.

The frame is very weak and it absolutely WILL break. Do a search for broken tomac and you will see what I mean. American Bicycle Group should be ashamed.

This WAS a very nice riding bike....until the chain stays broke in half. It was never ridded hard at all. I live in Florida and it is all soft terrain here. American Bicycle Groups customer service is the worst I have ever experienced. The head of the warranty dept. actually hung up on me. NEVER buy any of their bikes or you WILL be sorry!! You have been warned.

Similar Products Used: Never owned a bike this poorly made.
Dave   Weekend Warrior [May 13, 2003]
Strength:

This is an excellent bike. Rear shock Bob is very minimal.

None as of yet.

The Bike works great overall. I havent had any problems so far. The bike could come with better components.