Tomac 98 Special Pro 2003 Full Suspension

jordan   Weekend Warrior [Aug 03, 2009]
Strength:

this product has great brakes, gears, and shocks.

the tier pump is hard to find

the best bike i have ever used

Jack   Cross Country Rider [Aug 18, 2003]
Strength:

Handeling and Climbing, machined brackets in the rear-end are trick! Good component choices for Wheels, Fork, Float RL shock and drivetrain. Weight is impressive at about 27lbs on a bathroom scale.

Louise brakes (breaks?) are unreliable, LBS has bled them 3 times. The cockpit of headset, stem, bar and cheesy grips are all low grade and will be replaced soon - but those are easy upgrade$.

I was happy with my FSR and the 4 bar rear end for several years, I loved how active the suspension was uphill. In slow motion riding next to buddies on single-pivot I could see that an active rear end makes a big difference. The Tomac brings all this goodness in a lighter weight and a really smooth across technical terrain.
I ride mostly on technical singletrack with roots and rock gardens, no big hits or drops to speak of, with a few races a year. This bike is ideal for that riding - it is burly enough to take some pounding but still raceable. I was suspicious of an air fork - I didn't think it would be reliable or strong enough but it is holding up fine to the first month of riding. The Louis brakes are a disappointment - they need bled after most rides and are rubbing in the back without an easy adjustment. I have seen other poor reviews of the Loise under brakes so I am not alone here.
I have been very happy with the Stylo team crank - but after reading up on it here on MTBR I double checked it for loose chainring bolts and sure enough found 2.
If I were going to do heavier duty riding, I would have bought a hevier freeride bike - but this Tomac and Bradbury have hit a pretty sweet spot for a trailbike here. I'll ding them one chili for the cockpit complaints, but give full marks for Value . With the machined brackets in the rear end this feels and looks like a custom job and the whole package works great - I am riding farther up in the pack now.

Similar Products Used: Specialized FSR,
steve   Cross Country Rider [Jul 07, 2003]
Strength:

Light weight, quality construction, stiff, great geometry

I'm a heavier rider right now at 195 pounds (tough winter in the snowy northeast) and the frame still feels stiff. Geometry is great with 100mm forks and it takes off when you crank the pedals. Sails through turns as if it's on rails. I hardly use my brakes and I just let the bike turn. Never steps out from underneath me.Tomac came up with a great all arounder and I got it all online for practically nothing. My complete bike cost what the Racer x frame costs alone. I've been out riding everyday for the last month at 12 miles each ride. That's how much I like it.

Similar Products Used: DBR x2 marzocchi,FSR (test),GT LTS,Rocky Mountain Instinct,Santa Cruz superlight
vittorio mangano   Weekend Warrior [Jun 08, 2003]
Strength:

Thisbike is very light and has a feeling to do everything. Probaly best in uphill but work great even on downhill.It 's beauty, and has a tech plus, as a geometry.

Painting, room for the rear wheel is not a lot.

This bike work very better.Is not heavy for going up.The way is build is generous. Is not expensive.Let make you sicure to go on downill...works fantastic, if you like a real trail biking.

Similar Products Used: Superlight,Kona.
Gene Frial   Cross Country Rider [Jan 23, 2007]
Strength:

geometry, balance, weight(for a full suspension), price, climbs great, nice balance on descent, fairly good components for out of the shop bike.

Manitou Black front shock(nothing but problems), paint job chips easy(not into blue), stock stem & bars, stock headset

I love this bike. Aside from upgrading the pedals to eggbeaters and Salsa QR seatclamp right from the start, I road it stock for about a year and half. I finally started to upgrade starting with the front shock and bars(I didn't like the the stock Manitou fork-leaked all the time and fairly flat handle bars). With my new setup, the bike climbs BETTER because I can lockout the fork. I haven't had any problems with the Magura Louise hyd. brakes. I have gone to 8" disc in front and 7" in the back and now it stops on a dime(no rubs). You can purchase the frame adapter from Magura. I feel for those who have cracked their frames. I'm only 140 lbs and maybe this bike suits lighter riders better, no cracks so far. The latest thing I've done was powdercoat the frame "desert sand" and now the bike looks as great as it rides. I'm 100% satisfied with my purchase. I've spent more $ on upgrades than the original cost of the bike. I built a hardtail with all of the spare parts so I consider it a wash. Happy trails!

Similar Products Used: Specialize FSR, Specialize Ground Control Aim Comp.
John   Cross Country Rider [Jan 16, 2006]
Strength:

Balanced and reasonably light (as set up).

Bent rear derailleur dropout on first ride. (These things happen!) Bent back, finished ride. Ordered and mounted replacement and now carry original as spare. No problems in over 2 years of riding. Finicky Magura brakes.

Tuned and ridden by 200 lb XC rider over the local rocks, roots and rivers. Very different ride vs. F700. Where the hardtail required very precise line in technical sections, the Tomac is far more forgiving - allowing more speed. Stock bike a little on heavy side. Colorado Cyclist wheel special WTB/Mavic Disc was just the ticket. Seems to have rider in very high position. Been a great bike for me - I'm not into big air or drops, just fast long and hard riding.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale F700
Dvaid Moss   Cross Country Rider [Oct 05, 2003]
Strength:

Great handling, climbs like a monkey, stiff , when rear shock is locked out it has great power transfer

paint job could use some butching up....what'sup with the light blue and rainbow stuff???

This bike is great!!! It takes everything that I do to it and asks for more. I highly recommend this bike to anyone that is not too weight conscious. It is stiff enough for racing and has 4" travel for some drops and jumps.

Similar Products Used: 00 Heckler and superlight
marco   Cross Country Rider [Feb 19, 2004]
Strength:

Light, Drivetrain & Gear Components; Rear Shock has lockout; climbs well, feel very compact/solid if set up (shock/fork) is right. Hydraulic brakes are pretty powerful.

Headset Cane Creek C2 is crap, Paint chips easily; Tomac components could be lighter; Cables rub frame. Discountinued for 2004.

I would not buy this bike at full price; for the price I paid, there's nothing comparable out there in terms of design and components. I'm sorry to hear about problems with frame cracks, I'm not sure what you are using this bike for; remember it is a just XC...
Noticed some bobbing, about half inch on small and middle gears and a fourth on big one, which obviously is not a problem with the lockout. Hydraulic brakes are impressive although hard to tune, squeak a lot but i can brake with one finger, which really helps on downhills. Climbs just like a hardtail with or without lockout.
Just went riding for a week to Sedona, Az and the bike gave me no problems.
For the price, I give it 5 chilis, 4 overall for the design and to sympathize with people that have had their frames cracked.

Similar Products Used: Ironhorse HOllowpoint Sport -great frame design with poor excution (cheap paint, poor cable routing)
Robert Wright   Cross Country Rider [Apr 23, 2003]
Strength:

Frame Geometry, Performance, Highly Versatile. Laterally stiff suspension allows quick and responsive on turns & fast tracks. NO BOB, I can stiffen adjust F&R of bike to ride & climb like hardtail. Or more flex adjustment, with 4" F&R travel, it will bust down rough trail decents and slick rock steps and securely hold the line. A shout for the Manitou 80-100 Black Elite Fork and Hays Disc.

None for my bike. Johnny T and Doug Bradbury have one of the best bike designs going. This bike can be lighter weight with changing some components.

This is top notch versatile XC Bike, and good weekend race bike. I have compared to bike $1000 - $1500 more, and it stacks up. The geometry and design is one of the best available. I lucked out with this purchase and would recommend it to most any XC rider. This bike has given me an education.

Similar Products Used: Rocky Mtn, Diamond Bike, Specialized.
Warren   Cross Country Rider [Mar 31, 2003]
Strength:

Frame stiffness, squared seat and chain stays, great paint scheme, superior pivot placement.

Could be a little lighter.

The bottom line is this bike is great. This is advertised as a all day trail bike, but I race it as well with no problems. This bike will make you a better rider. The suspension is fantastic, the parts spec is good, although I would like to see them go away from the HEAVY in house bar, stem, and seat post. Change them out and drop a pound!!! If your snow blind by all the Cannondale & Specialized bikes out there then take a look at the Tomac.